G5 PS to PC mod

Posted by: RedDrag0n

G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 02:53 AM

I have been searching online and talking with everyone that i know about this subject, but no one can seem to help me. What i want to do is convert a G5 power supply so that it can plug into a standard ATX motherboard, but i noticed that the G5 has no -5v. Is there anyway to remedy this?
Posted by: whitlock

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 08:59 AM

If the power supply has no -5v line (I cannot confirm if that is true at this time), then I cannot imagine any way to remedy this short of using a different power supply. Anyone have any ideas on a workaround? I can't think of any at this time.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 09:01 AM

I can't see how it can be done. Is there a reason why you want to put a G5 PS in a PC?
Posted by: maestro

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 01:13 PM

I am going to assume that you are putting a PC in a G5 case, am I right? An atx ps will work fine. I honestly would not go to all of the trouble.

-maestro

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 03:14 PM

Yes, i wanted to put an Asus board in a G5 case, but like some mods i have seen and in my own opinion, the way ATX power supplies sit out in the bottom of the case, it's not pleasing to see. Hence why i want to mod a G5 PS in a G5 case to be used with an ATX board.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 03:31 PM

You might have to use a standard PC ATX power supply w/ an ATX extension cable

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 04:10 PM

Well, i might have to. I don't need an extension cable since the PS i have is a 450W Flower. The length on it is good enough to plug in the board from the outside of the case if need be. I was just hoping that i would be able to keep the lines clean on the inside as well as the outside.
Well anyways, thank you for your time gents and ladies.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 04:50 PM

You can keep clean lines. Go to a hardware store and get a power connector and splice a connection bewtween the ps and the outer connector. Then it will be like connecting on the outisde as if you have the stock ps. Does that make sense? Hope so.
-maestro

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 08:14 PM

Well, i was given an idea from the boys of Neowin and they were saying something about a 1U server PS. Honestly, i never even thought of that. I just need to find one that would fit right, remod the power connector, making sure it's 500W or more, and then it might just work. Theni can put in the PS plate, cover the power supply, and have it look original. Then from there, make sure all the fans fit right, and have it up and running.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/10/06 11:56 PM

If you only need a 5V feed, you can add it with a 5V AC-DC adaptor. Not pretty, but prettier than an ATX PS.
Posted by: MeltedRabbit

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/12/06 06:31 PM

Waragainstsleep wrote:
Quote:
If you only need a 5V feed, you can add it with a 5V AC-DC adaptor. Not pretty, but prettier than an ATX PS.

That is a bad idea for so many reasons, it shouldn't damage anything though, I think. My suggestion for this thread is to just skip the -5V line entirely. Ninety-five percent of all PC motherboard do not use the -5V line for anything. In fact, many newer ATX power supplies do not produce a -5V line. The only reason the -5V line is there in the first place is for ISA slots, which require a -5V line and since there are no ISA slots on any new motherboards, the lack of a -5V line should not be a problem.

The one noteable exception WRT motherboards is the MSI K8N Neo4/SLI (you weren't going to use a discontinued, Full ATX, first revision SLI motherboard in a G5 case in any case, were you?). :P The MSI K8N Neo4/SLI uses the -5V line for the onboard Soundblaster Audigy sound chip. Without the -5V line the audio does not work. Only MSI is dumb enough to make a motherboard with onboard Sounblaster hardware.

MSI makes some of the least stable AMD nForce4 boards anyway. Not that the nForce4 chipset is very stable in the first place. For that matter, the nForce4 chipset is looking pretty aged at this point anyways especially WRT onboard sound. The nForce4 onboard sound uses an AC97 codec as opposed to ATI chipsets and Intel chipsets which use the newer Azalia HD audio codecs, which are of better quality. However, MSI motherboards with other chipsets like the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset boards work fine.

At any rate, now you have read my off-topic blather about the nForce4 chipset and I am sure you are better for it.:P

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/12/06 08:35 PM

Good point. I guess most of us are still embeded in our old ways. Try it w/o the -5v and see if it works.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/12/06 11:08 PM

The board i am going to use is an Asus P5RD1-VM with the ATIXpress200 (X300) graphics onboard. The only reason why i wanted to convert the G5 supply is so that when anyone looks inside of the machine, it still had the clean look that it's supposed to have. No disregard to the Guys/gals that used a standard ATX power unit, but i like the cl3ean lines moreso. So if i can't use the G5 supply, i was told that 1U PS would work, and there are places out there that sell 600W 1U power supplies for a decent price. Then from there i need to mod the PS so it fits right and it looks like it was made for ATX boards in a G5 case.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/13/06 02:02 AM

Rabbit is right about the -5v. You have to be careful for just not the sound but some motherboards use that -5v for the serial ports and the parallel port. Instead of modding that power supply for the PC motherboard you can just use a standard ATX powersupply. If you need longer cables then get extintions or if you want them shorter you can crack open the power supple and trim down the cables so when the caseing is back on it will look professtional.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/13/06 06:21 AM

Honestly, which one looks better? More apealling to the eye?
ATX power supply or 1U power supply? *pictures are for reference only*
I want clean lines and a boxy power supply will not do. The new 1U's have a -5v also and it will fit nicely underneath the power supply plate in the G5. I just need to mod the wires so they are not that long and that they plug in right.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/13/06 11:23 AM

They both look ugly in that case. What about building your own power supply case or just go with out a power supply case and show off the powersupply's guts.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/13/06 11:33 AM

I wouldn't recommend removing the power supply case permanently. It shields the rest of the computer from the relatively strong magnetic fields generated by the power supply.
Removing this shielding could potentially wreak havoc when the machine is running.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/13/06 11:35 AM

Go with the 1U ps, it looks just fine. By the way, never run a computer without the ps case in. Besides the mag fields, you can get zapped, or worse, zap you logic board.
-maestro

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/13/06 12:02 PM

You can actually get zapped from an uncovered power supply? Damn, remind me to cram my power supply back into my tower. Due to size problems, i have to have it on the outside of my case.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/13/06 12:30 PM

Yeah you can, ask fellow MacModder, Shadowboxer47. Lol, I hope he isnt pissed off I let that come to light. Maybe he will post his burn mark and dead logic board under mod injuries.
:pinch:
-maestro
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/14/06 09:43 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Yeah you can, ask fellow MacModder, Shadowboxer47. Lol, I hope he isnt pissed off I let that come to light. Maybe he will post his burn mark and dead logic board under mod injuries.
:pinch:
-maestro

heh heh, Yeah, I'm experimenting with a power supply too. At the moment, it's uncovered. I recently received a shock with the thing. Not only did it fry my logic board, but my hand cramped for an hour. There's a lot of power in those capacitors and if youíre not careful, it can be potentially fatal. (There is a plus sideóyou learn all new sorts of profanity if you get shocked and your heart doesnít give out)

Iím doing something similar with a G5 case as well. Logically, I would recommend doing what Iím going to do (no surprise!): build a new PS case that suites you. It only requires a little bit of money and some knowhow.

I know about the inherit magnetic properties of a power supply, but this is only a probable danger if you strip it down to the silicon and leave the pieces in side the case and running without any protection. Since you have a brain stem, youíre not going to do that.

Step 1, choose a material to build your custom case. I donít care what it is and youíll see why in just a moment. While you're doing this, build and design your case.

Step 2, stick the PS into the case and put it all together. Donít let it touch anything conductiveólike your hand or metalówhen mounted or in the installation process. It will make a fabulous light show and a wonderful smell, but youíll have nothing but a lot of wasted material when itís all over. Really, itís not that difficult if you are careful.

Step 3, buy some of this and wrap the PS case in it.

Step 4: Profit!

Oh, and just an FYI--I'm not responsible if you kill yourself

:P
Posted by: CousinJohn

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/27/06 06:25 PM

How about using a DC to DC converter. Plug in 12v and get -5v out. All the ones I could find that would output -5v were multiple voltage outputs, but just use what you need. You'll need about 300mA I found some at http://www.v-infinity.com/ that handle 500mA. Just to be safe, go high.

Re:G5 PS to PC mod - 01/29/06 08:15 AM

Why not just use a ground for the -5v?