G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook

Posted by: anomalous

G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 03:45 PM

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but:

I've been given a set of G4 cube speakers - the spherical Harmon Kardon ones - and wanted to use them with my G3 500 iBook. Im aware that these speakers somehow require the G$ cube to function correctly - my guess is theat the G4 cube must have had high-power usb ports or something, that other models lacked. in which case, it should be a simple matter of wiring an exteral power supply to the usb interface/amp module to provide the power required.

has anyone done this? or have any info that would help me - specs on the G4 cube's usb ports or anything?

surely this is something many people would have wanted to try...

cheers,

ben
Posted by: maestro

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 04:21 PM

Those speakers also came with iMacs. They run off of a digital amplifier in the Mac, which later G4s also had built in. Did you get the amplifier box with it? Its possible to get them to work, they are just speakers after all. You could use a seperate amp.
-maestro
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 04:31 PM

In my expeience they will work but the volume will be very low.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 05:31 PM

If I remember correctly the USB only pushes 5 volts. Adding more would blow the port or even the logicboard. How does these speakers work? do they use the power from the USB and connect to the speaker port or does it all go though the USB?
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 05:38 PM

Too bad you came by these and not the H/K SoundSticks (and not the SoundSticks II), because they're USB, but are also powered by a unit in the subwoofer. You might, if you got this subwoofer, be able to wire the tweeters to it somehow.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 07:19 PM

i believe the Cube's USB ports are special 10 watt ports... You can (at your own risk) use them on other computers but the volume will be lower. The Apple Pro speakers are different than the Cube's speakers in the fact that the imac's had an their own propriatary connection and no inline amplifier like the cube's. i don't know how you will get the extra power to the Cube speaker amp. but it would be cool. they are nice speakers.

also the Cube speakers when used would make the Cube run hotter. this might also be the case with your ibook. especially since you would also be putting heavier strain on the ibook's USB ports as far as power draw might be concerned.

macDeviant
Posted by: krusher117

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 09:14 PM

ok everybody is right...they require more power than standard USB provides. Griffin invented iFire. Since Firewire provides the nescessary amount of power, the adapter plugs into your computers firewire port and the audio in port. Then you plug the USB apple speakers into the iFire. Funny thing is you can also power it with the old iPods too! Then you have some working Apple Pro Speakers!

http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/ifire.html

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2005/12/24 05:14
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/23/05 09:59 PM

Wow... Cool! I knew about iFire, but never thought about using it to use the Pro Speakers as iPod speakers... Any model through the Photo, except for some minis, would support it! Again, wow...

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/24/05 06:46 AM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
ok everybody is right...they require more power than standard USB provides. Griffin invented iFire. Since Firewire provides the nescessary amount of power, the adapter plugs into your computers firewire port and the audio in port. Then you plug the USB apple speakers into the iFire. Funny thing is you can also power it with the old iPods too! Then you have some working Apple Pro Speakers!

not to steal your thunder, krusher, but the ifire is incompatible with the USB Cube speakers. It was made for the imac g4 Pro speakers, similar in apperance, very different speakers. Newbies over at http://www.cubeowner.com get this mixed up quite a bit. I just don't wan to see anybody get these two different products confused here too. :S
Posted by: maestro

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/24/05 07:29 AM

Actually the speakers are the same. Its just the break out box thats different. Hack the wires and wire them out to a break out box that converts the Apple pro speaker to normal speaker out puts. Plug you wires to those regular speakers outputs. Not sure who makes it, but when I find the link, Ill post it. Try google.
-maestro
Posted by: anomalous

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/24/05 11:39 AM

hmm. the question is still unanswered though - the two spherical speakers connect to a box that would appear to contain the amp and the usb interface. since there is no separate power plug, the assumption is that the amp derives its power from the usb port. so theoretically, it ought to be possible to find the amp's internal power connection to the usb port, cut it and wire in external power. *unless* there is more to it.

they do work on the G3 iBook, as someone suggested, but very quietly.

cheers all, and merry christmas.

ben

Post edited by: anomalous, at: 2005/12/24 19:40

Post edited by: anomalous, at: 2005/12/24 23:28

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/24/05 12:05 PM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Actually the speakers are the same. Its just the break out box thats different. Hack the wires and wire them out to a break out box that converts the Apple pro speaker to normal speaker out puts. Plug you wires to those regular speakers outputs. Not sure who makes it, but when I find the link, Ill post it. Try google.
-maestro

:P oh the defiant one aren't we... okay technically, yes the speakers are the same. but unmodded the signals and power are handled differently. HAH now we are both right.
wow, i think this is what steven covey calls a win/win sit..... OOH BUTTERFLY! *trails of*

macDeviant
Posted by: krusher117

Re:G4 cube speakers on G3 iBook - 12/24/05 03:56 PM

oops...the iFire is not for the USB speakers eh?