HDD Activity LEDs- in my QUAD

Posted by: macDeviant

HDD Activity LEDs- in my QUAD - 12/17/05 05:13 PM

Okay this was a little tricky but after about an hour or so i was able to toss an old imac 4gig 2.5in HDD for use as a swapfile partition. i also added 3 green LEDs to serve as activity lights.

i was worried about frying my brand spanking new computer. BUT I JUST HAD TO DO SOMETHING TO IT!!!!!11!!1! laugh i just need to do some fine tuning with the LEDs to diffuse the light better. i'll post some picts when my camera is charged, but i doubt i'll do a guide

a question though... the 2.5 laptop drive is 4200rpm. would this affect my performace, or hinder it?

thanks
macdeviant
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:HDD Activity LEDs- in my QUAD - 12/17/05 07:00 PM

Thats neat, I should do that to my B&W sometime since I have 4 drives in it and never know what one is grinding or not.

90% of desktop harddrives are 7200 to 7500 and there are some that are even faster. Really and truly I dout you see a decline with the 4200rpm drive. It's the cashe you have to worry about. Might have a 2MB cashe or something lol.

Post edited by: TCPMeta, at: 2005/12/18 03:02

Re:HDD Activity LEDs- in my QUAD - 12/17/05 10:34 PM

yeah 2 mb would be bad :S gonna look up the specs right now. i don't think it's that much

it was more just to do it cause i can if i could get a decent hdd i'd stick it up there... i'm going to set the laptop drive as the swapdisk and see if it get too slow

oh and TCPmeta. you should add some HDD lights. simple mod, but cool too.

macDeviant

Re:HDD Activity LEDs- in my QUAD - 12/17/05 11:05 PM

well this was a very shortlived mod... there is something with the drive which is causeing the computer to freeze and freeze hard... i wish i could get a picture of all the text it puts on to the screen from firmware :S well out comes the 2.5in HDD

frown

macdeviant
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:HDD Activity LEDs- in my QUAD - 12/18/05 04:26 AM

Thats odd, did you use a one of thoses nifty laptop to desktop ide cables or some hacked cable?

Re:HDD Activity LEDs- in my QUAD - 12/18/05 01:27 PM

I used a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter board w/ mounting kit. i've used one of these in my Cube with out a problem. actually i used to have this same drive in my Cube with no problems

so odd

macDeviant