ePC/eMac Mod...?

Posted by: ngatiaruanprince

ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 11:18 AM

Does anyone know how to take out the parts of an eMac, and build a PC in it? It would be a great idea for the Great Mod Challenge.
I recently bought an eMac, and I saw the iPC mod and was wondering if anyone could do the same thing with an eMac.
To Anyoone who takes up this mod, could you please make a detailed guide with pictures explaining what to do and how to do it.
(While using the super drive and even converting the screen to an LCD... if possible). And with Windows XP.
If anyone takes up this challenge, email me at ngatiaruan.prince@gmail.com
POST BACK!

Ngatiaruan.Prince
Posted by: maestro

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 11:33 AM

Why ruin a perfectly good mac to turn it into a pc.
-maestro

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 11:40 AM

I have to eMacs, both are mine. but i have no use to one of them, and i dont want virtual pc, and i want to be able to play games for Windows on one. I use one eMac. One is unused. its setup but I have only turned it on once.
If I was able to turn my unused eMac into an ePC it would be great! But I have not much Mac modding experience so thats why I want a detailed guide.

Ngatiaruan.Prince
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 11:55 AM

I'm not very familiar with the eMac to be honost. I do know that if you have the skill to build a PC from scratch, that it shouldn't be too hard to strip out the eMac's native contents. Why not just go for it yourself? :huh:

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/09/19 18:57
Posted by: maestro

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 12:10 PM

Why not just sell your eMac and buy a pc?
-maestro
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 12:11 PM

If I can get a hold of a eMac I can mod it. Chances of me getting a eMac is slim to nothin.

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 12:13 PM

Well, I'm not really confident with taking out the eMacs parts without a guide because I might do something wrong and I might ruin the whole thing and that means I have wasted my money! Plus, I'm not farmiliar with the inside parts of the eMac, so thats why I want a guide. Oh if I did do it myself, would I have to put in active cooling? Is there enough cooling in the mac? Are there fans in the emac?
POST BACK

Ngatiaruan.Prince
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 12:19 PM

Ok, tell you what... you send me the emac, wink and I'll send you a PC :P

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 01:06 PM

anil8tor wrote:
Quote:
Ok, tell you what... you send me the emac, wink and I'll send you a PC :P

No, you don't want to do that... listen, let me tell you about anil8tor... all he cares for is your eMac, he don't care about you man...

Send it to ME, and I'll make you a deal you can't refuse. Plus, I'll throw in a PC! :evil:

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/09/19 20:09

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 01:28 PM

Quote:
all he cares for is your eMac, he don't care about you man...
: shadowboxer47

Look I'm ALL about helping out my fellow modders :evil: If the man wants a PC, I feel he should have one whistle and I am willing to make the sacrifice B)

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 01:39 PM

Man, I aint sending my eMac to nobody. I want to mod it myself. Maybe I will add in extras and enter it into the great mod challenge 2005. I really want to do something with my secong eMac, not to sell it. I have always been a supporter to Apple and there all in one designs.
There have been some PC All in one designs, but the look like SH**!
Anyway, the eMac looks grreat, so it would look great as an ePC! So does anyone have any guidelines to what I should do, keep and mod etc?
POST BACK!

Ngatiaruan.Prince

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 01:55 PM

Ok, Ngatiaruan.Prince, we where just having a little fun, I don't REALY want you to send me your Mac... I'll do some checking around with some of my friends and see what I can come up with. If I find anything detailed I'll post it here. I dont have any experiance with the eMac but I am sure as a group(MacMod) we could come up with something. In the mean time check out the mod guides on this site for inspiration, and good luck!

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 02:02 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up! If you find something, post it as soon as you get it. Thanks.

Ngatiaruan.Prince

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 02:04 PM

Oh, if you find any good mods for an iMac G4, post it here as well.
Posted by: Draconis

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 03:47 PM

Well not to brag but whistle ......... The Mac orb

There's also other imac mods under external and internal mods in the mod guide section. Unfortunatley imac flat panel mods are not common. Also if you want some overclock info for it I'll post a link. It is only for a specific version though and will only get you a 100Mhz boost from what I can gather, but I have not tested this.

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 04:11 PM

Ok, scratch the iMac G4 mods.
But if anyone finds a way to convert an eMac to an ePC post in this topic.
(You know like the iPC mod).
Oh and if i put a pc into an emac shell, can i use the emacs cooling? does the emac even have cooling?
POST BACK.

Ngatiaruan.Prince
Posted by: Jias

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 05:20 PM

It takes about 2 minutes on Google to find eMac take-aparts and service manuals. Dig around and find some.

It seems like a waste to me to gut a perfectly good Mac. If you're that keen on the design, why not buy a busted one, gut that and sell the working one to someone who could actually use a Mac. Proselytize.

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 06:55 PM

does anyone know if the emac has active cooling?
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/19/05 08:35 PM

Just get the service manual and take a peek.

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/20/05 01:01 AM

Has anyone tested the Apple Pro keyboard on a Windows PC?
Because I have decided to do thid mod, I need the Apple Pro Keyboard so it can open the cd/dvd drive in the emac.
If it doesnt work, does anyone have any suggestions to what to do?
POST BACK.

Ngatiaruan.Prince

Re:ePC/eMac Mod...? - 09/20/05 02:51 AM

Ngatiaruan.Prince:

I sympathize with your desire to have a functional PC in a well designed case, but the vast majority of work that would be done in order to accomplish this feat would have to be on your time and your research. MacMod.com, though an excellent group of talented Macintosh-based modders, can only provide so much; we are here for assistance, not to do the work for you. Even if there is a mod guide, you would still have to have sufficient knowledge of computers in order to follow the directions; forgive me if I'm wrong, but from the contents of your post it seems you are still trying to understand some basic tenants of computer electronics (i.e., cooling, operating systems, etc. Consider that being a novice is not a bad thing, as we all were there once, but at the same time it may mean you are not ready to take on such a hefty challenge.) Since I believe this is the case, some things need to be explained:

It is rare that individuals make mod guides so others can do the exact same thing; rather, more often then not, mod guides provide some foundation in which to get started with a similar idea or, at the very least, declare in general terms how a mod was accomplished. Because of this, many mod guides show only the macro-evolution of a product, sometimes for the sole purpose of boasting of the hard work involved and the beauty of the finished work. Thus, many of these mods will not include the “unnecessary” details, some that you may find you desperately need. I say this not to dishonor my fellow modders, but to stress that a vast majority of mods assume that, if you wish to do the same thing, you will have at least a mediocre knowledge of electronics.

Concordantly, modding is not cheap, especially at the scale you are speaking of. When one decides to do a mod in this fashion, one usually has a vested interest that is forceful enough for them to take the gamble. Why do I say “gamble”? Because modding is often just that: even the most talented modders can make a mistake that will ruin hundreds of dollars of hardware. This is why I believe that, unless you are able to find a mod out there already that accomplishes what you need to know, you will have a hard time persuading somebody to strip apart their beloved eMac for the sole purpose of showing you how it's done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't get your hopes up. Stuff like this takes time, energy and money and not everybody is willing to take a plunge for a fanciful idea. Macmod will be there for help, but if you wish to get wet, you'll have to get into the pool with the rest of us. But don't worry, we serve beer here!

( But, hey, what do I know? I'm king of the novices and like to talk out of my pooper :silly: )

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/09/20 09:53