How Far Can you OC a QS 733?

Posted by: Loophole

How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 08/29/05 12:40 AM

Hi I am new here and have seen the "simple" mod for OC a QS 733 to 800.

I was wondering how far you can push the 7450 (not sure what revision) as the multipliers go to 8x (1067Mhz). Is this stable or is it easier to buy a cpu upgrade over 1.2Ghz?

Also if my 733 doesnt have L3 Cache is it possible to add 2Mb to speed things up?

Just wondering if things like this are possible or worth doing?

Any help would be really appreciated

Regards

Loophole
Posted by: maestro

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 08/29/05 06:04 AM

Welcome. If you do decide to oc, stick to 800. That will keep it stable and reliable. You cant add cache to the cpu. Not having it really slows it down. I would suggest you purchase a used
QS cpu or an upgrade. That will give you the most for your effort. Overclocking is not easier than changing cpus. Good luck with it and let us know what you went with.
-maestro

Post edited by: maestro, at: 2005/09/11 12:28

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/05/05 02:09 AM

Back Again....

So I FINALLY recieved my new (well second hand ex-govt) QS 733 Today (YAY!!). I will be doing the 800 OC mod shortly (Thanx Maestro).

Anyway befor I even tested it I loaded it with a Gig of Ram and 3 IDE HD's (who need a zipdrive anyway?) 120,80 and 40 so a total of a bit over 200 Gb space. Quite a bit quicker than my G3 Imac and my now defunct Cube (reason for upgrade).

I had to drill some new mounting holes for the HD in the Zip slot but it only took about 15 mins to get em in the right places and now I have an extra 40Gb instead of 250Mb (removable)!!! I also put a piece of black ABS plastic behind the umm open slot of the zip drive its about .5-1mm thick and it makes the slot Bulge out ever so slightly cos its squashed between the metal frame and the plastic front plate but atleast it keeps little fingers out!

Next is to quiet the fans a bit (they are not that loud)

I will keep you posted with my progress, but it might be slow depending on if my GF freaks out seeing me dismember my new machine!!!!

Take it easy and Keep Modding

Loophole
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/05/05 02:39 AM

Send us some pics!

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/10/05 11:51 AM

Ok So I have TRIED a few times to get a mod guide for my zip 2 HD mod but that part of the site is not working right and I dont know enough HTML to mess with it.

In any case if you want to do this here are the steps.

1) Remove the zip carrier.
2) Remove the zip drive from the carrier.
3) line up the HD on its side by the Carrier as if it was in it making sure that the IDE and power connectors line up the same way as they would if it was in the carrier (There is a slot at the back of the carrier for them).
4) mark a line where the mounting screws for the HD should be on the carrier (about 15mm either side of the rear zip mounting hole).
5) mark a across hair the same height as the middle of the existing zip mounting hole.
6) repeat steps 3-5 for the other side
7) drill at the marked crosshairs with a 1/8th or 3.0mm drill bit.
8) remove any burrs from both sides of the holes.
9) check for alignment to the HD (ie Slide the HD into the carrier all the way).
10) carefully ream out the holes in the right direction with the drill if needed.
11) repeat steps 8-10 as needed.
12) set your drive to slave (assuming your cd/dvd drive is set to master)
13) screw the drive into the carrier
14) install the carrier back into the case
15) connect up the ide and power cables.
16) start the machine and see if the drive is recognised.

You can also see the thickness of the black plastic I used in the pics I have attached.

PM me if you need some help.

Regards

Loophole
[file name=Zip2HDmodpics.zip size=425140]http://www.macmod.com/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/files/Zip2HDmodpics.zip[/file]

Post edited by: loophole, at: 2005/09/10 18:57

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/11/05 05:27 AM

Hey, thats a great idea....but....how cool is the drive staying. Air will not circulate around it as well as it would in the bottom of the mac. Use temp monitor to check, im curious to see what its running at.
-maestro

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/13/05 01:53 AM

Ok I dont have a temp monitor (or is it sw? if so where can i get it from?)

The drive is on the second bus (is it ATA33 or 66?) in any case I think that the carrier is dissipating a lot of the generated heat as it still feels cool (very slightly warm) after about 3 hours. This may be due to the fact that the drive is a bit older and not a high rpm model (IBM deskstar 40Gb).

in any case it runs well and I have had no lost data or any other problems.

I have also just installed a Flashed FX5200 and next will be the 800Mhz Mod.

I might need to add a larger heatsink to the FX5200 as it gets quite warm and has NO fan but I will see how it goes first.

Regards

Loophole

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/13/05 02:16 AM

Its called temperature monitor. Just Google it up and download. Its free. I always have it running. Yes, I am a tweak junky. Heres an example of my numbers. 50C cpus 29C Hd1
36 C Hd2 35C Hd3. Im still working on lowering my temps in my G4/5 case. I ordered some more Panaflos and a fan controller. Funny thing though...without temp mon. I just didnt work on stuff like that. Thats a modder for yah. Let me know your HD temp when you get the software, Im more curious now. smile
-maestro

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/15/05 12:18 AM

Ok got Temp mon going and well after a minimum of 5 hours 'ON' the temps are as follows.

HD1 120Gb - 32 deg C (Western Digital)
HD2 80Gb - 36 deg C (seagate)

HD3 40Gb - 34 deg C (IBM Deskstar) in zip drive carrier

so it seems that the heat dissapation is not too bad IMHO (but Im no expert).
The only issue one might have is the access speed to the drive, I assume this is an ata33 bus as it was for optical/floppy access. So as long as you dont expect the world from it, it should do fine.

what do you reckon?

Loophole

Post edited by: loophole, at: 2005/09/15 07:51

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/15/05 02:08 AM

Great, those temps are within reason. Yep, its on a ata-33 bus. You can find a ata-66 pci card on eBay for cheap. Otherwise if you are satisfied with the speed, leave it. Do you have pics of the inside of your case? I would like to see it.
-maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/15/05 06:06 AM

loophole, I have fixed the editor. You shouldn't have many issues anymore with it. Give it a try and let me know what problems you are having.

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/20/05 02:07 AM

Ok for those interested in the zip drive 2 HD mod it is now in the mod guides.

I have included internal pics for Maestro, not that there is much to see.

I have also changed back to my GF2 MX card as the gigabyte FX5200 was showing weird ghosting and artifacts.

regards

Loophole

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/20/05 03:32 AM

Loophole, I saw your guide and left a comment. Sorry about your video card troubles. I haven't heard about th ghosting issue. Are you using an LCD? DId you try different resolutions?
You know, I've got that 9600 from my mod guide up for sale. Its more powerful than the 5200ultra you are having issues with. By the way, your hd temps are well within reason. Your zip hd is even cooler than one of your other hds! I suspect that one is under your other hd on the bottom of your case.
-maestro

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/20/05 11:58 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Loophole, I saw your guide and left a comment. Sorry about your video card troubles. I haven't heard about th ghosting issue. Are you using an LCD? DId you try different resolutions?
You know, I've got that 9600 from my mod guide up for sale. Its more powerful than the 5200ultra you are having issues with. By the way, your hd temps are well within reason. Your zip hd is even cooler than one of your other hds! I suspect that one is under your other hd on the bottom of your case.
-maestro

thanx for the offer of the 9600 but I dont REALLY need it (BTW how much do you want for it? and is it one of the ones you SERIOUSLY OC'd?) I was just borrowing the fx5200 from a friend to see if I could even get it to work (strangedogs.com and cubeowner.com are very helpful).
With regards to the artifacts there were up to 3 discernable 'Ghost pointers' following my mouse around (faint but still noticeable) and other lines depending on the background I chose. Also the focus seemed a little out in 1280x1024, as soon as I changed back to the GF2 it was crisp and no ghosting. I have a feeling it was a combination of the card (Gigabyte GS-N51282DS) and the reduced rom I was using (I tried several and only one worked - sort of). in any case I reflashed my supposedly blown GF2 MX and its all good now.

BTW the HD with the highest temp is actually the top one of the two together so go figure (it is a seagate! I have a thing about seagates! smile

I didnt have an IDE extender handy and this was also a neater option. Besides why do half a mod when you can do a whole one? wink

Next thing is to quiet those fans somewhat (I can't hear my music over them late at night).

Thanx

Loophole

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/20/05 12:10 PM

I suppose that hd is getting heated by the one under it then. Still ok though. Yes, its the 9600 from my article. I figure $65.00 is a fair price (stock ones are going for $50-80 on eBay).
I just want to get near what I paid for it. Im still waiting for the go ahead on a 23" acd so I would like a little more ram for those super high resolutions.
-maestro

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/20/05 05:53 PM

ok back again

I am currently evaluating a 'air redirection mod' I will post my findings if it seems to keep things cooler in another topic.

anyway thats my 2 cents for today
BTW I also upgraded the firmware of my LG Burner (GSA-4163) to A105 Auto reset. Unfortunately this requires a PC but I have an OLD celeron 333 for just this purpose.

regards

Loophole

Re:How Far Can you OC a QS 733? - 09/22/05 12:37 AM

ok For all those that have been following this, after further testing the drive actually heated up to 41 Deg C frown. I have update my mod guide to show an easy cooling solution for this.
Now I cant get the drive over 34 Deg C.

Thanx

Loophole