Possable iMac G5 Mods

Posted by: MacBoy

Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/28/05 05:15 PM

Hey all, Im wondering all the possable mods I can do to my iMac G5

I havent seen any on the good ol' interweb and Im wondering ... Can you hook me uP? I also like Blue LED lights since it matches my blue LED in my mouse!
w00t!
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/28/05 07:29 PM

ALL OF THEM?!
Dude, let me put it this way- if we knew every mod, this website wouldn't exist as a free entity. What do you want done with it? Some lighting, better sound, faster CD drive? More RAM? RAID with two iPods, an old Laptop HD and a cd drive's memory? Name some ideas of mods- and we will bounce back pointers and other ideas... but you must incite the spark of jenious!

-Knife

PS- check out Cold Cathoids, bit bigger then LED's but could certanly add a unique look to your G4...

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/29/05 02:00 AM

I was thinking about doing some blue lights maybe, and I got a G5 also.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/29/05 02:57 AM

Paint job, verticle stripes, varying colours, with a wood stand instead of metal. Drop a larger HDD inside, and check into OC'ing the bad boy. The fastest DVD burner you can afford would be nice, and maxing out the RAM. Of course the cheapest mods are painting and overclocking, though a wood stand would be cool.

/I felt like being an artist making this post. Must be the environment I'm in...
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/29/05 05:56 AM

Well, you've told us twice you like lights- Cold Cathoids are generally blue, but I agree with whitlock- a wood stand would look sweet- What skills do you have... woodworking, metalworking, writeing, typing, painting... what do you like to do as a profession/hobby?

-Knife
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/29/05 05:57 AM

wire it up to a VESA mount in your car! :P
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/29/05 10:30 AM

Would you want to replace the sleeping/power light with a blue one? That would look cool. I'm looking into doing the same with my PowerBook.

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/29/05 10:34 AM

Yeah the blue led sleeping light would be cool. I just cant find any iMac G5 mods at all anywhere!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/29/05 10:11 PM

I saw one which was painted entirely blue. I guess that voids your warranty though....
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/30/05 03:31 AM

Owning an iMac G5, I would not recommend over clocking the system. The iMac G5 (especially Rev A) has serious heating issues. If any OCing is to be done, it will have to be of radical proportions in order to insure the system is cooled... but hey, if you want a water cooled iMac G5, go for it! :P

I own a 20" iMac G5/2.0/1Gig... I want to mod it, but I don't want to void my warranty smile

IF I were to mod this thing, which is an eventual possibility, I would do some LED/Cathode work on the grill on the bottom of the chasis w/ a matching sleep light... probably with a new paint job... and the wooden stand sounds like a cool idea, but it would have to be hard core because a 20" is heavy.

Good luck!
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/30/05 07:33 AM

painting it blue only voids your warranty if its done by someone who isnt an apple certified tech, or if you make a warranty claim, and they see it whistle

Most all of the parts on that machine are considered customer installable. Likewise, if you brought it to my shop and it was painted, I wouldnt hold it against your warranty smile

Besides, I plan to paint my iMac G5 once the mod challenge is over laugh
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 08/30/05 09:40 AM

modyourmac wrote:
Quote:
painting it blue only voids your warranty if its done by someone who isnt an apple certified tech, or if you make a warranty claim, and they see it whistle

Most all of the parts on that machine are considered customer installable. Likewise, if you brought it to my shop and it was painted, I wouldnt hold it against your warranty smile

Besides, I plan to paint my iMac G5 once the mod challenge is over laugh

I'll keep that in mind :P

... and if you do any painting with the G5, make sure you do a mod guide! :lol:

Re:Possable iMac G5 Mods - 09/01/05 01:52 PM

Yeah im big for lights, My mouse lights up.. Blue LEDS are pimp!! woohoo