Can\'t Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board

Posted by: Antonio

Can\'t Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/03/05 10:19 PM

Well, I replaced the Gigabit Ethernet logic board in Frankintosh with a Digital Audio logic board ( 2nd revision,originally with a 733mhz CPU ), and pressing the power button gets me nothing. No light up, nothing. No power at all.

I'll mention now that it still powers up with the GE board.

AFAIK, both the GE and DA use the same power supply and pinouts.
Also, AFAIK, this new logic board is good.
So, the only issue I can think of would be the power button itself.
The plugs from the power leds are the same between the two machines ( by the looks of the socket on the logic board ), but mayhaps the pinouts are different?

Does anyone know for certain or have any other ideas?
I also recall there being some differences between the 1st and 2nd revisions of the DA, so I'm wondering if the PSU connector on the logic board isn't slightly different, maybe similar to the Quicksilver's pinouts.

BTW, I'm also using the CPU from a Quicksilver, an 867 clocked to 933. I had it working well in the GE, by way of an extra 12volts, taken from one of the hard drive power supply plugs.
I've tried booting from the DA board with the extra power supplied and without. No dice.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm not doing this in a Digital Audio G4 ATX, but a custom case.
I don't know that it would make any difference, but I've encountered stranger things.

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2005/08/04 02:00

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2005/08/04 02:31
Posted by: maestro

Re:Can't Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/04/05 07:12 AM

I think the pinouts on the ps are just like the QSilver. Thats why you have no boot. Also, the
board may take power from one the the logic board posts as does the quicksilver. Not sure
on this, thats my best guess.
-maestro

Re:Can't Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/04/05 08:39 AM

Now we're getting somewhere.

Can it be any post?

I'll give it a try.

As for the pinout, I was thinking the same, however, all info I've found thus far shows both DA revisions using exactly the same PSU and connector.

:pinch:

Re:Can\'t Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/04/05 08:53 AM

EDIT: Nevermind.

That additional power you were speaking of is connected to the daughtercard, which I've already done.
It's 12volts, and I've taken it from one of the molex connectors.
The only difference I've found so far between the QS and DA powersupply connector pinouts is the placement of an additional 28v in the QS where there is no connection in the DA.

I suppose I could try splicing the single 28v cable in two and connect it to both posts.

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2005/08/04 12:17

Re:Can't Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/04/05 10:25 AM

But arent you using a GB Eth. power supply?
-maestro

Re:Can't Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/04/05 04:13 PM

The GE and DA power supplies are interchangeable.
Same wattage, same pinouts and connectors.

I'm wondering if mine isn't bad. I replaced the GE logic board, because I thought the AGP port went bad, but I'm wondering now if wasn't the power supply.

I suppose I should check the wiring, and then the fuses inside the booger.

Well, if I was wrong, and my PS is the culprit, at least I now have a better logic board, and a working backup.

Re:Can't Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/04/05 04:51 PM

Ive looked it up and it seems they are in fact interchangable. I wonder if it has to do with the
front panel board? If it powers up your GB board, it should be ok. What cpu are you using?
Maybe the combination of cpu, hard drives, etc. is too much. This is more difficult than it
should be, but isnt everything? :side: We will figure this out. Whitlock, we need your help!
-maestro

Re:Can\'t Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/04/05 05:27 PM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Ive looked it up and it seems they are in fact interchangable. I wonder if it has to do with the
front panel board? If it powers up your GB board, it should be ok. What cpu are you using?
Maybe the combination of cpu, hard drives, etc. is too much. This is more difficult than it
should be, but isnt everything? :side: We will figure this out. Whitlock, we need your help!
-maestro

I'm using the same 867 Quicksilver CPU I was using on my overclocked GE board.
It has 12v connected to the fourth standoff dropout.

I don't completely discount everything, but it should all work.
There are processor upgrades which require a 12v power addition from a molex connector ( in particular, upgrades which are compatible with both QS and DA machines ).
QS machines supply the power via a cpu standoff, but it can also be supplied through a power cable.

Well, I'm home now, so I'm going to tinker some more.

And, yes, the more heads in this issue, the better.

BTW, the power supply in the machine this board came from went bad, but an Apple Tech stated the board is still good. I'm starting to wonder, tho. I don't believe the seller would have any issue refunding me, but I just hate the hassle.

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2005/08/05 01:15
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Can't Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/05/05 03:32 AM

The 28V on the QS is something to do with ADC.

You have pressed the PMU reset after fitting the DA board haven't you?

If you're still stuck, talk to the master:

http://www.themacaddress.com

Re:Can\'t Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/05/05 08:18 AM

Waragainstsleep wrote:
Quote:
The 28V on the QS is something to do with ADC.

You have pressed the PMU reset after fitting the DA board haven't you?

If you're still stuck, talk to the master:

http://www.themacaddress.com

No offense meant, but, ummm, DUH! laugh
The 28v on any of the three discussed is for ADC, it's just that the QS has two of 'em.
And, of course, yes, I hit the CUDA.

I wouldn't even dream of posting for solutions online without doing the very basic things first wink

That said, I looked around at The Mac Address, but I couldn't find where to start an account.
I have, however, sent an email to one of the modders there.

BTW, guys, thanks for jumping in and helping me think through all this.

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2005/08/05 16:02

Re:Can't Boot With Digital Audio Logic Board - 08/05/05 04:12 PM

Y'know what guys?

Thanks for all your help, but I think this board is just faulty.

So, I'm either going to find out what's wrong and fix it ( solder resistors, fuses, whatever ) or just get my money back and find another board.

Again, thanks. It's been a good learning experience, as these moments make me think much and learn much.

-Antonio