Which Classic Mac case fits PC ATX?

Posted by: tedbragg

Which Classic Mac case fits PC ATX? - 07/15/05 02:52 AM

Looks like I'll need to get a PC soon for my work. I know, it sucks, but I gotta, so...if I have to put a Windoze box in my office, it had better look GREAT, so what better way than to stick it in a Mac case?

I'd like to try a Mac IIci or one from that era -- I plan on building this machine from the mobo on up, but i'm not sure how tough it'd be to make an ATX board with expansion cards (video, NIC) fit inside it, what I'd have to drill, etc.

Anyone tried this before? I *would* go buy a PC box, but I hate those...
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Which Classic Mac case fits PC ATX? - 07/15/05 03:49 AM

I would recommend a powermac G5 case, but the IIci should fit ANY mini ATX mobo just fine. You'd be surprised at how much smaller things are now. You're going to have to cut the casing with a dremel pretty significantly. PC mobos usually have a silver frame/backing around the ports, so it won't look bad for you to cut a simple rectangle out of the back of the mac. The PCI slots will be another story. Who know, you may get lucky and those nubus slot will line up perfectly with the PCI slots (it won't B) ).
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Which Classic Mac case fits PC ATX? - 07/15/05 06:18 AM

A LLci case would be interesting, though you would need to use some micro components to fit everything inside. Don't forget about how much room a P/S takes up. You could also get a cheap laptop and mod the parts to fit into the case.

You have a lot of options at your disposal.
Posted by: riscx

Re:Which Classic Mac case fits PC ATX? - 07/15/05 04:26 PM

Just about one of the cleanest and classiest "classic" Mac/PC mod case conversion I have come across is one done by Attila Juhas using a Mac SE case.Check it out directly at:

http://users.adelphia.net/%7eattilaerika/assembly.html

was thinking of doing something similar to my old SE case as well, as I too unfortunately on occasion share the need to have access to a virus/ad spawning computer, err, windows system.

Pretty much portable too ;-)
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:Which Classic Mac case fits PC ATX? - 07/19/05 08:22 AM

Are you sure you need the pci slots? you can get so much on-board stuff these days ie: video,lan,sound if you don't need a modem or some weird scanner card. You my not need the pci slots. I built a media center pc in an old vcr box... or you could use "riser cards" that turn the cards on the side.... ah modding! gotta love it! :woohoo:
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Which Classic Mac case fits PC ATX? - 07/19/05 08:44 AM

Quote:
You my not need the pci slots.

haha....you know thats the most insightful thing I've heard today! You're absolutely right. I don't use my PCI slots except one of them to add more USB slots, but thats easily accomplished with a hub