Powersupply

Posted by: Edgefox

Powersupply - 02/15/05 09:37 PM

Has anyone successfully built an adapter to go from the 20pin out of most atx power supplies, to the freaky deaky 22pin port on apples mother board? I found an article on line detailing the building of a project box, but before I got to far into that I was wondering if anyone had an easier answer.

thanks
Posted by: maestro

Re:Powersupply - 02/16/05 12:33 AM

Sorry to say as far as I know there is no pre fab connector. It is not difficult to make though. All you need is a soldering iron, some heat shrink tubing and some patience.
-maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Powersupply - 02/16/05 05:54 AM

Now if you were talking the original G3's (the beige ones) they were ATX and didn't have those freaky connectors. That was nice, especially when all it took was a jumper that moved it from Mac to PC(ATX).

What board are you working with?

Re:Powersupply - 02/16/05 09:18 AM

It's a quicksilver dual 800, I started out jsut trying to make it a little more quiet, which resulted in swapping out the hard drives for 2 seagate 146.8 cheetah's and changing the case fan, then installing an exhust fan on the top (though i mounted mine on the inside) then moving the speaker and installing a fan there. When everything finally got rolling (and quiet) my darn powersupply fan started making a whole lot of noise (kind of a rattling sort of noise) I want to install a couple of more scsi drives and I've added a fan controller with temperature sensors (next step is the break out box that sits underneath the 23" cinema display so that it sits at the same level as the 21" crt display) but I'm afraid of putting too much strain on the power supply so I picked up an ATX only to discover... 22pin connector, I'm not TOO afraid of tearing apart two power supply cables to build the adapter but if there was an easier or pre fab way I'd feel abotu 20x better about the whole thing.

As far as the outside of the case I pretty much mimmicked the blue ice case (or am in the process of mimmicking as I'm not so great at removing paint) When I finally finish all of the superficial and technical (read power supply) issues I'm planning on putting in a giga designs dual 1.8 processor upgrade, but maybe by then they'll be up to 2 gigs!

Re:Powersupply - 02/16/05 09:54 AM

Sounds like you have an awesome rig. Don't be scared. I tell that to everyone I talk to. There are
so many things in life that we CAN do, but are too afraid and end losing a leg to pay someone
to do it for us. Suck it up and dive in. The worst that can happen is that you will fail and lose
some cash. There are worse things. Find a good diagram and GO FOR IT! :cheer:
-maestro

Re:Powersupply - 02/16/05 11:32 AM

Thanks for the advice Maestro, I was originally shooting to be able to do some on-line HD editing but it looks like the only cards I can afford are pci-x so now it's just going to be a real fast, quiet, dv editor... Oh well.

I'll give it a shot in a couple of days. (as soon as I can find the pieces!)

Re:Powersupply - 02/16/05 02:27 PM

What cards are you speaking of? Video, HD cont?
-maestro

Re:Powersupply - 02/16/05 04:42 PM

I'm talking about the black magic card the decklink hd 595 and allows you to online full res HD footage at 180 mb/s (or allows you to add 4:2:2 to HDV footage (135mb/s) so the problem arrises because of the pci-x slot needed for the card. Unless I'm missing something. Here's a link to the item in question

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/site/decklinkhd.htm

Re:Powersupply - 02/17/05 12:48 AM

Does anyone else make a card like this? I dont know much about HD editing, I cant move that way yet cause its just too expensive. Do you have the other equipment and what do you use this stuff for?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Powersupply - 02/19/05 11:35 PM

I thought ATX was 24 pin....

Re:Powersupply - 02/20/05 06:14 AM

I'm sure there are other cards like this out there, it's just that most of those cards are far more expensive. I have access to a lot of full HDCAM equipment, and decks through work, But now to be honest I'm seiously looking at the HDV equipment sony's offering, I saw a prototype and wasn't too impressed but the newest version seems to have all of the bugs removed, so the only thing now is the price point (and waiting for final cut pro 5 in april) Most of the stuff right now is "just for fun" but within the next year I will be joining a group of folks with clients for commercial work, and I'd just like to have a little bit of a background and some experience before really selling my services. (plus I want to make sure my mac looks super cool and experimental (you'd be suprised how far "neat" looking things get you in this business!)
Posted by: jmm

Re:Powersupply - 02/20/05 09:53 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to say as far as I know there is no pre fab connector. It is not difficult to make though. All you need is a soldering iron, some heat shrink tubing and some patience.
-maestro

I am trying to do the same thing to replace a defunct PSU on a G4(DA). Are there any wiring diagrams available to make sure I make the right connections?

-jm

Re:Powersupply - 02/27/05 05:49 AM

I believe that the ATX powersupply comes in two flavors 20 and 24 pin. I'm currently looking for a board to take the +5vSB and turn it into the 28v that the 22 pin connector needs can anyone offer some advice on this?

I think the only wiring diagram I've been able to discover is this one.

http://homepage.mac.com/baakre/.cv/baakre/Public/28v_vreg.pdf-link.pdf

I can't help but wonder after looking at this if it's even needed if you're not using an ADC connector video card

Re:Powersupply - 03/01/05 11:52 AM

In case anyone was waiting to find out if in fact you cna jsut snip a few wires on a 20 pin and not plug into the last two pins of the 22pin, I have to say I have not had success. I've tried twice the first time wa sa compete failure but that was because I had the pin diagram backwards and cut the wrong wires, doh! The second time was a mediocre failure as all of the paripheral's turned on but it did not seem to power up the cpu processor whatever. I'm going to play a little bit more and see what I can achieve. For those trying at home the best way to check this out is to hook up to your 22 pin ports with the 20 pin cable... hmm on second thought maybe not. more later on tonight.
Posted by: Surfadelic

Re:Powersupply - 03/30/05 10:47 AM

whitlock wrote:
Quote:
Now if you were talking the original G3's (the beige ones) they were ATX and didn't have those freaky connectors. That was nice, especially when all it took was a jumper that moved it from Mac to PC(ATX).

What board are you working with?

If that's the case, I need to be ordering yet another beige G3 logic board (I used NexComp, for what I've got on the way already), and a 300W-320W ATX PSU from NewEgg! Then all I have to do is, retrieve my old AIO G3 case from my storage unit, go to Lowes for a sheet of 1/2" white birch plywood, and by the time I'm done I'll have an AIO G3 that resembles a vintage television/stereo console!

Along with the above, I'll be resurrecting my G3 MT (with the parts mentioned above from NexComp), resurrecting my late mom's Performa 637CD (new battery) and building 2 Wintel boxes (please don't ask about this one ). And, I'm planning to buy me a Mac mini, sometime this summer, and mod it as soon as I figure out what it should resemble. I haven't had this much fun, in 1 year, since I did my very first Mac upgrade, in sticking a COMM slot ethernet card into mom's Performa...WOO HOO!!

Matt
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Powersupply - 03/30/05 11:09 AM

Looks like you'll be busy with these mods. Keep us updated, and if you got any questions, we would be more than glad to help out!

By the way, welcome to MacMod Surfadelic