Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod.

Posted by: rossdudley

Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/04/05 08:46 AM

Has anyone ever used the CRT from a dead iMac as a monitor? I have a dead iMac; fried mother board, that I would love to use as a monitor for one of my other older Macs. I've stripped out the mother board unit and have found the video conector but getting power to the CRT is the trick.

If anyone has any ideas or has actually done this I sure would love to hear from ya.

Thanks
--

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.
Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute.
THAT'S relativity."
- Albert Einstein
--
Posted by: maestro

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/04/05 08:48 AM

Are you sure its even worth using as a monitor anyway. They are small and probably wont last
too much longer. Sell it for parts and buy a new monitor maybe?
-maestro

Post edited by: maestro, at: 2005/02/04 17:00

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/04/05 08:54 AM

It's only worth it because I have it here and it's doing nothing and I thought it migt be fun to try. I'm not all that interested in spending any large sum of money on something like this. I just figured it would be cool if it could be done.

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/04/05 08:59 AM

Hey, it is worth a try, especially if no one has done it before. I say go for it. Sorry I dont
have any info for you on it. Just remember, monitors need a ton of juice and they can be
very dangerous to work with. Good luck.
-maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/04/05 09:25 AM

It should not be too hard. First off, make sure you discharge the display. After it has been discharged, you can get to the analog board and start to rewire. Oh, wait, not too much. The Rev. A-D iMac's all had 15-pin video cables already, so with an extension cable and a VGA adaptor, you will have your monitor. Just start scupliting the case if you want to use it for anything else, like a micro-ATX style board. Or a Mac mini...

All the power for the CRT is routed through the other boards in the machine, and is not dependant on the logic board. Modyourmac would correct me if I was wrong (which I'm sure I'm not).
Posted by: jimpa

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/07/05 06:21 AM

i have exactly the opposite dilemma on my hands. a guy i know gave me his Dalmation iMac after he dropped it down a flight of stairs. i am assuming it will still boot (keeping fingers crossed). i'd like to rip it apart and put the guts in a new, smaller case. anybody know what i need to keep and what i can get rid of? can i yank the analog video board off the logic board or will that entail a ton of extra work? i want to save as little as possible and hopefully use the power supply in the new case.

thanks.

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/07/05 06:53 AM

Well, your new mac should have a VGA out on it, and if it does, you can ditch half of it and use an ATX P/S on it and mount it into whatever you want. I've seen a conversion kit into a U1 Rackmount case, or you can even mount it into an old VCR case (and put the CD behind the door).

As for the video itself, like the analog board, it's useless w/o a CRT. Well, pretty much useless.

It's up to you on it, and it will hopefully boot. Keep us informed!

Why I Edited :: Obv. Spelling error and wanted to add extra info

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2005/02/07 21:36
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/07/05 06:41 PM

the video boards in iMacs are not removeable
Posted by: markayak

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/11/05 09:20 AM

It might be a bit more complicated than you think, whitlock. The internal video cable has 15 pins, but they carry more than a standard VGA video signal to the CRT. Notably, CRT power goes through here too. I know because I once tried the extension cable/VGA adaptor idea on my bondi iMac, and the monitor was dark.

I don't think this will work without knowing the full pinout for that 15-pin video cable and doing some fancy rewiring.

I found some pinout info here. Maybe someone can make sense of it.

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/12/05 02:58 AM

I see your dilemma. Read it over and look at your parts and try and match what the author is
talking about. Have you tried contacting him? If you can, maybe he can explain it better.
-maestro
Posted by: DJAtrebor

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/12/05 07:31 AM

I've the same problem frown There is another topic about imac 2 monitor conversion...and I've the same problem frown I posted some photos...

here you can see the camble disassembled http://pepperaudino.altervista.org/c2.jpg
http://pepperaudino.altervista.org/c3.jpg

frown frown frown frown

The link is very interesting.... I want to try..

Post edited by: DJAtrebor, at: 2005/02/12 15:36

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/12/05 07:59 AM

I used this link to make this table: http://www.cryogenius.com/hardware/imac/ I think this is the correct scheme for the conversion..
VGA
1 red
2 green
3 blue
5 ORANGE GROUND
6 red ground
7 green ground
8 blue ground
10 ORANGE GROUND
12 YELLOW S data
13 black/white-stripe hsync
14 WHITE vsync
15 BLACK S clock

the green Power On signal to the power board
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/13/05 06:59 AM

Here's some more instructions:

http://www.ct-scan.com/iMacATX/index.html

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/13/05 07:57 AM

First let me thank those who have contributed comments to my original post. Although a bit helpful, I still feel lost on this one, especially because others have confused the topic, reversed the original question, and essentially hijacked this forum. I am not at all interested in what to do with an iMac with a dead CRT. My iMac is dead and the CRT part is fine. I want to know how to turn that into a monitor. So, if you want to talk about moving the guts of an iMac with a dead CRT to another box, please, do it somewhere else! :angry:

That being said I'm not sure if the wiring schemes that have been discussed here are for re-working the CRT or for the opposite? And if the power for the CRT is routed through all the boards do they all need to be left in place? Or can the wiring be redone to eliminate the need for these boards to be left in place? If anyone can help me with this I sure would appreciate it. Thanks. :unsure:

Post edited by: rossdudley, at: 2005/02/13 16:06

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/13/05 12:35 PM

rossdudley wrote:
Quote:
First let me thank those who have contributed comments to my original post. Although a bit helpful, I still feel lost on this one, especially because others have confused the topic, reversed the original question, and essentially hijacked this forum. I am not at all interested in what to do with an iMac with a dead CRT. My iMac is dead and the CRT part is fine. I want to know how to turn that into a monitor. So, if you want to talk about moving the guts of an iMac with a dead CRT to another box, please, do it somewhere else! :angry:

That being said I'm not sure if the wiring schemes that have been discussed here are for re-working the CRT or for the opposite? And if the power for the CRT is routed through all the boards do they all need to be left in place? Or can the wiring be redone to eliminate the need for these boards to be left in place? If anyone can help me with this I sure would appreciate it. Thanks. :unsure:Post edited by: rossdudley, at: 2005/02/13 16:06

I suggested you the scheme to do this mod! I've the same problem! I've an iMac Dv and only the monitor (I hope) it's in good condition

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/13/05 04:36 PM

Waragainstsleep wrote:
Quote:
Here's some more instructions:

http://www.ct-scan.com/iMacATX/index.html

Thanks! I needed this for my 400mhz Indigo project! It has the one picture I needed.
Posted by: markayak

Re:Rev A Bondi iMac 233 CRT mod. - 02/15/05 08:16 AM

Didn't mean to confuse matters. I've considered doing the same thing as you (converting my old iMac into a monitor), and the only potentially useful information I could find was for projects essentially doing the opposite. But either project requires knowing what signals are going through the video cable and adapting it to a standard VGA connection... only one project is working on the upstream end, and the other downstream.

m&