Car Mini

Posted by: maestro

Car Mini - 01/21/05 09:10 PM

Has anyone thought about the Mini s ability to take the shock of being installed in a car?
-Maestro

Re:Car Mini - 01/21/05 09:11 PM

I just thought that everything being sooo close quarters with no shock absorbtion my cause failure.
-Maestro
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Car Mini - 01/21/05 09:14 PM

you make a good point that never crossed my mind Maybe it would be possible to mount the entire case on shock absorbing rubber mounts (either in the trunk or glove box)

Re:Car Mini - 01/21/05 09:18 PM

Yeah, maybe a gel surrounding it. Also will the ventilation be adequate? There is alot to think about when it comes to putting it in a vehicle. In fact, what about condensation?
-Maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Car Mini - 01/21/05 10:00 PM

For some reason, the first thing that came to mind was those old CD shock systems for your car and a portable player. I guess it's worth a chuckle, though for shock absorbtion and misc. wiring, using two bays would not be a bad idea if you want to go for a front console look.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Car Mini - 01/22/05 04:00 AM

yes maestro, that was one of the issues that I was a little concerned about. That and the heat disipation during hot summer days. My thoughts on a correction for the heat would be to cut a small hole in your air vents and run a hose from them to the system. As for the unit and CD skipping. I figure that 99% of the time I would be listening to music from the hard drive anyway. Then the rest of the time, I figured that it was probably stable enough to hande basic riding.

Whitlock, makes a good point though. Using one of those old school cd player shock mounts might help. However, you want the thing real flush in the dash. It may be that an alternate cd bay would have to be installed. However, I would be willing to take my chances on that issue.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Car Mini - 01/22/05 05:14 AM

Jacob, already on it bro! A friend of mine works in an auto body shop. Likewise, he has the ability to vacu-form plastic. I'm planning to flesh out a custom slot for the mini, and mount it on formed gell pad shock mounts that will absorb the majority of the vibration from driving. If/when I get it produced, it'll be one of a kind awesome smile

Re:Car Mini - 01/22/05 05:23 AM

Sweet, good luck with the custom fab. Make sure to post some pics and how well it works.
-Maestro
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Car Mini - 01/22/05 06:54 PM

The interface troubles me. Integrating it into the car is easy(er) than figuring out how to create a mac-worthy interface to handle GPS, Video, Music, ETC.

Re:Car Mini - 01/22/05 07:57 PM

Krusher is very true. However, you cuold always run a flash interface that runs off of other programs in the background. However, this wouldn't be the most efficient method. I would love to see a nice interface designed.

Re:Car Mini - 01/22/05 09:58 PM

okay, as for the interface, why not just customize the desktop, oh wait, who needs that when you can control your mac with your VOICE. That would be sweeet. "Are you there Kit?"
-Maestro

Re:Car Mini - 01/23/05 03:11 AM

this is true maestro. However, how are you going to control the mac via voice when there is music playing? :ohmy:
Posted by: ddew

Re:Car Mini - 01/23/05 11:56 PM

Just check out the tatra mod for the interface, if you ask the guy nicely enough he'd probably release the code. smile

Another thought that hit is why not suspend the mini in the standard stereo slots from like rubber strings. Then you just stick a small TFT or LCD in front of it to cover up the hole. Perhaps even add a aluminum frame or something.

With bluetooth enabled mini coupled with wireless mouse and keyboard you don't have any cables to worry about.

And most of the time it's just an empty hole down to the firewall behind the dash and it's cool enough. Worst case you can always chuck a 12V papst 120mm fan behind there and just hook it up to the 30 rail (standard 12 volt on ignition power). If a normal psu can handle it so should the cars electrics.

Re:Car Mini - 01/24/05 01:24 PM

A hole in the firewall....doesn't seem like a good idea to me. The rubber strings are a little iffy too. I think some gel pods would probably be sufficient. As for talking to it, maybe a small progammable key pad. It could be a dual interface with speech and keys. "Computer, which way to the nearest bean burrito?"
-maestro
Posted by: ddew

Re:Car Mini - 01/24/05 05:56 PM

I didn't mean drilling a hole n the firewall, I meant that the dashboard usually isn't covered in the rear. A hole in the dashboard down to the firewall, not through.

And for the suspension, military grade is good enough for me. That kind of suspension is used allover the world for various shock-sensitive equipment.

But then again, what do I know? I'm sure you've done the proper research or built one of your own...