Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth?

Posted by: arnaudsj

Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth? - 01/19/05 08:06 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knows of a 3.5' device (that can replace the zip drive in a pomermac g4 sawtooth) which can offer monitoring of different temperature in the case (cpu, motherboard, HD, abient air). Thank in advance!

If there is nothing available is there any other way to monitor the temperature on a G4 sawtooth?

Cheers!
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth? - 01/19/05 08:30 PM

There are plenty of devices that take up the drive bay. I would suggest going to one of the advertisers on the left hand side of the page and see what options they have available.

Enermax has a pretty nice one that displays fan speed and temperature.

Why I Edited :: Added the link

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2005/01/20 04:34

Re:Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth? - 01/19/05 08:52 PM

Cool thanks for the link! It looks like I will maybe try to go with the UC-A8FATR4, since I don't needa ll the extra bells and wistle of the one you recommended.

This brings another question though - how to you fit a 5.25' device like this in the zip drive bay (which is 3.5' inside). Is there a how to somewhere to convert this bay to a full 5.25?

Thanks!
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth? - 01/19/05 10:15 PM

The problem is with the board being too close to the bay. You can cut out a hole in the 3.5" bay, or you can use the open space above the 5.25" bay. It is do-able, but just take the proximity of the board into place.

OR you can find a 3.25" controller, like this one.

Why I edited :: Added Link

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2005/01/20 06:17
Posted by: maestro

Re:Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth? - 01/20/05 12:25 AM

I know that a temp mon. would be cool in that bay, but why not do it with software. Temp Mon. or Hardware Mon. is great. Leave that bay for something more useful and cool. Just a thought.
-Maestro

Re:Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth? - 01/20/05 01:07 AM

Thank you Maestro for the suggestion. With Temp Mon or Hardware Mon I can only pick up the SMART sensor of my 2 Raptors inside the case. So I have my HD temp done via software. The problem is that since I run a GigDesign Accel card (1.4Ghz), it does strip me out of the usual CPU temp mon that I had with the stock G4-400. That is why I would like to be able to monitor the CPU temp and the ambient temp in the case to make sure it is not too hot.

It looks like the little 3.25'' controlloer whitlock is refering will be perfect for the job! (and cheap).

I will post some pics once I get all of that setup.

Thanks!
Posted by: maestro

Re:Temperature probe/monitor for G4 Sawtooth? - 01/20/05 01:31 AM

Glad to see you got it worked out, good luck with your mod. Post some pics...Ive been thinking of something like that for my G3 mod.
-Maestro