Attempting The iPC...

Posted by: Nubreed04

Attempting The iPC... - 12/08/04 06:33 PM

after recently seeing the winner of the Annual Mod Challenge on this site, i've been inspired to make my own iPC.

i was planning on just selling my iMac DV on ebay, but then the value of it dropped dramatically after the release of the G5s.
So i realized that it would be more valuable to build a pc out of it. (ends up saving me $200+ in parts if i turn it into a pc)

my question:
is there a way i can keep the internal monitor instead of intalling a LCD like shown in the iPC on this site???
does anyone know what kind of wire connection is linking the internal Monitor to the logic board?
i read somewhere online that it was an older VGA connection, but i'm not sure???
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/08/04 07:30 PM

I think the reason he used an lcd instead of the crt is because the crt was broken. Therefore, he used a lcd because he couldn't get a crt. There shouldn't be a problem with using the stock crt in the unit so long as you have space for everything else.

As I understand it, it is a vga connector that connects to the logic board. Exactly how it will fit I am unsure. Maybe someone else will know.

Also, while doing this mod, don't forget to take plenty of pics and make a mod guide for everyone.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/09/04 02:11 AM

An advantage of using an LCD is that you free up a lot of internal space, and also cut the heat back by quite a few degrees.

If you want to go with the internal display, you will have to keep the power boards, and route the power from the power supply to the board. The board would need to be a small form-factor and be mountable to the bottom (which is not hard). After going with the board, you will need to route the video cable that goes into the logic board and plug it into the VGA on the back.

Should work, thoughI think modyourmac could doublecheck since he could probably grab one at random and check to see if it works. I can't imagine it not working like that, and at the very most, you will just have to re-route the VGA cable.
Posted by: zenstate

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/09/04 02:52 AM

I honestly can't understand how anyone could change a mac to a pc. its simply insane.

I will never understand how anyone can sit and use a wintel system without barfing all over themselves.

sorry, had to say it smile

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/09/04 01:40 PM

Ever work a 8-5 job? You gotta do what you gotta do.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/09/04 02:01 PM

Heres a bit of useful data from a forum post on macs2u.com

Quote:
you just take the plastic cover off the base, and the CRT connector is sitting there right in front of you!
It has a 15 pin connector screwed in, which you remove and then connect a mac to PC VGA adapter and you are off!!

Heres the link to the discussion
http://www.macs2u.co.uk/cgi-bin/simpleforum.cgi?fid=01&topic_id=1073155044

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/09/04 02:19 PM

I know on the Rev. A-D that the 15-pins were there, though the DV's plugged into the board via a connecter going through the metal plate sepperating the logic and analog boards.

You should be able to rewire that connector using thin wiring, and unfortunatly you will have to forget the VGA port, as that's part of the logic board.
Posted by: Nubreed04

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/09/04 11:21 PM

thanks for the info guys...
i'll let you know how it turns out! laugh

and as for why i'm turning it into a pc... a 400mhz G3 is so slow compaired to my dual 1.25 G4... (plus its the cheapest way for me to network 2 computers that can play the newer video games...hehe)
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Attempting The iPC... - 12/09/04 11:28 PM

make sure and take plenty of pics for a mod guide! laugh