2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360

Posted by: maclover1986

2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/03/04 02:19 PM

Is there anyone out there who could help me add an additional IDE hard drive in my Performa 6360?

I understand that I need a Molex power cable splitter, which I can probably get at my neighborhood RadioShack. I also understand that I need to designate the other hard drive as "primary slave." Heck, maybe I can make my own Molex splitter by just splicing the main connection.

I would really love to have a place where I can store all of my games and MP3s, without bogging down my main hard drive.

So, if anybody could help me with my computer's hard drive dilemma, I would be much obliged.

Thanks for the support.

maclover1986
Posted by: mark

Re:2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/03/04 05:53 PM

6360's don't support slaved drives. There is one IDE spot for the hard drive, and that's it. Apple didn't implement full ATA/IDE support until the Rev B Beige G3s.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/03/04 07:40 PM

Mark gets points for knowing that. You saved me the time. B)

Well, the only possibilites I see is to get an external cabinet and go SCSI. When I did repair I had a good cabinet witha 36gb drive in it. Used it daily on these older Macs. It doesn't matter where you get the cabinet, but make sure it's built well. Good luck!

Why I edited: Forgot to mention the possible fixes. No need to spam.

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2004/10/04 02:43
Posted by: maclover1986

Re:2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/04/04 08:04 PM

Hey guys,

I got to thinking that I could take the original IDE ribbon cable out and put my own into the computer. I could remove the end connector from my own cable and the factory cable, and swap the cable. And, because my floppy drive no longer works (because I accidentally knelt on it), I can put one of the two drives in the floppy bay.

You guys realize that my Performa is a desktop model, and not a tower, do you not?

The cable I wish to put into the Performa is from an HP computer. It has markings that indicate what drive goes where on the cable, so that makes my life easier.

Well, g2g (gotta go).

maclover1986

Re:2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/07/04 11:56 PM

The problem isn't the cable, its the chipset. The only way* you can have more than one IDE device is to get an IDE card. Even then it isn't practical since you can find Beige G3's with full IDE support for less than most Mac compatible IDE cards.

* that I'm sure of. I've seen some people claim there are IDE to SCSI adapters out there, if there are I doubt it would be cheap or reliable.
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/08/04 01:34 AM

If I were you I would just search around for a larger hard drive. Keep in mind that when installing on older macs that have a driv bigger than 8gigs, itt must be partitioned into 2 partitions minimum. The first one (that you OS will go on) must be smaller tha 8 gigs. the second partition can be as big as you want as long is their is no OS on it. And btw, is this mark G3head ta 1337 H@xX0r who I had emailed a while back regaurding progress on the wearable mac?
Posted by: whitlock

Re:2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/08/04 09:21 PM

Unfortunatly, it looks like our info was wiped out, so I'm writing up a synopsis. You can install a PCI IDE hard drive controller card, which will support another hard drive in your machine. This way you can have multiple drives. Though with the constraint inside the desktop unit, you may need to think of a different way of installing the drive. The floppy drive bay is the right width, though the height is an issue (and unfortunatly cannot verify). For $79-99 USD you can purchase a Sonnet PCI IDE ATA133 Controller card. Though the machine will not utilize theFULL read speed, it will speed up quite a bit. The only constrictions are processor speed, and the machines BUS.

It maybe easier, and more efficient for speed, to install a PCI IDE controller into the machine, ditching the original drive and just going with a huge drive that is on a card that can support awesome read/write speeds compared to the old drive. With the speed, you would not bog down the drive, because it will just be faster anyways. A 40gb ATA133 drive would just rock in that machine if you had the system folder on that drive as well.

And for ubergeek's comment:
Exactly ubergeek. The 8gb boot partition was only on Rev A-D iMacs and Beige G3's (Tower, Desktop, AIO). It was a pain, but there is a work around later on which involves merging partitions and having OS9 on the drive first. Such a damn pain in the butt. Though the 6360 does not have the right equipment, with ex post facto, the install can be done for OS X. Bravo again on your trial and error OS X install.

Re:2 hard drives wanted for Performa 6360 - 10/09/04 06:04 AM

re: 8 GB limit

Just to offer some clarification on this, the 8 GB limit is only if you want to install OS X on a drive connected to the built in IDE controller on the systems whitlock mentions. Classic OSes aren't subjected to any of those limits, the SCSI chain isn't affected, and IIRC does not effect installs if you're using PCI IDE cards.

ubergeek89 wrote:
Quote:
And btw, is this mark G3head ta 1337 H@xX0r who I had emailed a while back regaurding progress on the wearable mac?

yes.