Sleeves on my power supply

Posted by: somechinq

Sleeves on my power supply - 07/27/04 01:52 AM

Hi. I've got a G4 Digital Audio, andI'm planning on sleeving my power supply cables. I was wondering what the black slug around the mobo's power cables is for. Is it just a weight? Thanks.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/27/04 03:09 AM

My G4 AGP doesn't have anything like what you are talking about. sorry that I can't be of help.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/27/04 03:10 AM

can you take a picture of the slug
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/27/04 03:25 AM

I would imagine that it is for insulation. However, I am not sure that I know exactly what you are talking about either. If you could take a pic and post it into the forum that would great laugh
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/27/04 05:39 PM

if your talking about that big bulky ring that is near it, i'd leave it in there. it keeps the cords from accidently slipping into the p/s and causing some potentially fatal damage to the p/s. work with the 'slug', not against it.

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/28/04 01:39 AM

Well, I'll send in a picture of the "slug" when I get my supplies. I assume I can just stretch the nylon mesh over the thing. Thanks

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/28/04 02:06 PM

does it look like a ferrite bead, a grey cylinder, about an inch long. kinda looks like graphite. is that it?

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/28/04 02:17 PM

should have asked these questions as well:
is it plastic or another material?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/28/04 03:03 PM

If it is anything like the older PowerMac models, it is a black ring around the cord that keeps it from touching whatever is near it; in this case, the power supply. I would imagine that it is put there for heat purposes.

My suggestion is to leave it alone; work around it. It was there for a reason. No sense potentially destroying a machine if you can work around it.
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 07/28/04 10:33 PM

My Powerbook's powersupply frayed (near the top, light thingy) i had to rip the whole stupid thing open, then jimi rip it. The black thing is a heat shild, it wont hurt anything to remove it, but it is there to stop shock from comming to your comp. You can move it if you wanted and then it will still serve its orignal purpouses. but so far after moving the one on my comp, no problems have come to it... good luck tho.

-Knife

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 08/27/04 11:13 PM

Here's the "slug" I'm talking about.

Posted by: maclover1986

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 10/23/04 12:43 AM

Hey Knife,

I always thought the slug absorbed magnetism from the cabling. If you take apart an old clock radio, that little bar-like thing is a ferrite antenna for the AM channel.

As always, anyone should correct me if I am wrong.

maclover1986

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 10/23/04 12:49 AM

Hey chinq,

That slug probably controls magnetism from entering the computer. You do realize that magnetism can ruin not only a floppy drive, but a hard drive as well, do you not?

I know on my old HP computer that the same kind of slug wraps the cable that goes to the Power switch, and the LEDs.

maclover1986
Posted by: AMoses

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 10/23/04 03:22 AM

It's a choke:

Choke An inductive electrical component used to filter electromagnetic interference and lamp filament hum from electronics.

You can buy chokes at electronics stores to put on the power supplies for your computer and audio equipment, but should NEVER put them on the lines carrying the audio signal as they WILL squash the signal.

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 10/24/04 03:23 PM

Ah, the ferrite bead. That's what you were talking about. I wondered if we would hear back from you on this.

Re:Sleeves on my power supply - 10/24/04 11:35 PM

Ah, yes: the choke.

I knew the function at the time I described it, but not the proper name for the component.

Thank's for fitting the description with the component.

Speaking of power supplies, I have just received the latest Cyberguys catalog, and on the reverse cover, I saw these improved Molex connectors. They allow you to disconnect your drives from power without banging up your knuckles, all with a mere squeeze of the tab. No more cursing, no more bloody knuckles, no more frustration. Just easy disconnections.

For more info, visit:
[url=[url]www.cyberguys.com][url]www.cyberguys.com[/url] [/url]

maclover1986