Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower \"NOISE\"

Posted by: spit

Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower \"NOISE\" - 06/07/04 11:28 AM

How do I mod my MDD dual 1.25 G4 tower's fans to run quieter?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower \"NOISE\" - ANSWERED - 06/07/04 11:37 AM

I know the answer to this one because I did it to mine. I guess you can call it a mod. I would call it a defect! Apple put these crap fans in the computer, and when they reach high speeds it makes this subtle but extremely annoying sound that will drive anyone up the wall that is trying to concentrate. Here is what I did. I tried everything myself, I tried padding it around the fan, re-situating it, and more; nothing worked. So, I decided to take the other route. I hope this is still available to you. I called up apple, I was like look, this fan will nojt stop with the noise. So they made me carry the damn thing inside the mall to the appl store, up two stories on the escelator and all! I was really pissed, then I got there inside of the apple store and its lound in there, so the noise of course can't be heard! Well I get back home and the noise starts back up again. So, I call apple back up and I am like look I want t new fan, I am not stupid I know about computer and I know what the problem is and everything, the guy says that he can't do anything unless I send it somewhere else. So, I ask to speak with the level 2 technician. I am blunt with the guy tell him what the deal is and he says, ok whats you address, I will send you a new one. So he sends me a new one, I install it, and nothing, silence! It was perfect, the fan is crap, get apple to get you a new one. If they won't, then buy one, they can't be more than 10 dollars. Anyway, I know whats your problem, it was mine.
Posted by: spit

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower \"NOISE\" - ANSWERED - 06/07/04 11:50 AM

Thanks, oojacoboo I will give it a shot!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower - 06/09/04 07:44 AM

You guys must have gotten one of the first sets that Apple put out. I got my 1.25 MMD G4 in November of 2002 and while it isn't the quietest, it certainly doesn't do the windtunnel or blowdryer noise like the first ones did.

I haven't done any modding to it to make it quieter. It does make a noticeable noise, but it is fairly even and doesn't interfere with the phone, music, or other.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower - 06/09/04 12:35 PM

In going through my bookmarks, I ran across one that might help you:

G4noise.com
Posted by: karl

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower - 06/09/04 01:01 PM

Didn't Apple do a replacement for this noise issue?
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower - 06/09/04 03:00 PM

Dont worry about noise. Just get a big Vantec tornado and cool the crap out of it. It may sound like a 747 taking off but heck this is america. Bigger and louder is good. lol
Posted by: mark

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower - 06/12/04 12:28 PM

A 747 on your desk is fine if you don't want to get any work done, but for the rest of us there's almost nothing more valuable than a quite workhorse.

As for a solution, try and get a replacement, but if that doesn't work get a couple panaflows (really really quite fans) and DIY. PSUs aren't that hard to open up, just don't touch the capacitors - you can get one nasty jolt. If that doesn't appeal to you try lining the case with some sound insulating foam. That can probably knock out a few Dbs
Posted by: mark

Re:Dual 1.25 G4 MDD tower - 06/12/04 12:35 PM

A 747 on your desk is fine if you don't want to get any work done, but for the rest of us there's almost nothing more valuable than a quite workhorse.

As for a solution, try and get a replacement, but if that doesn't work get a couple panaflows (really really quite fans) and DIY. PSUs aren't that hard to open up, just don't touch the capacitors - you can get one nasty jolt. If that doesn't appeal to you try lining the case with some sound insulating material. That can probably knock out a few Dbs