clamshell ibook picture frame

Posted by: scottk

clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/05/04 05:54 PM

My girlfriend's clamshell ibook is on its last legs. She thinks that when it dies we should turn it into a picture frame. Not electronic. Just a picture frame. I think it would be big and bulky, but of course it would be an Apple picture frame!!

Thoughts?
Posted by: krusher117

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/05/04 08:13 PM

This might be a little extreme, BUT you could gut it entirely, except for the handle. Create a velvet interior or something, and she will have a totally unique purse. I think your girlfriend would be pretty hot B) with that. BTW, I'm sure it would get you some points for 'ahem' .

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/05/04 09:17 PM

LOL!

But wouldn't it be really heavy? Even gutted?

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/05/04 09:30 PM

it seems like the it would be pretty light. It would be about the style statement tho.

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/06/04 12:32 AM

LOL. Far as style goes, I'd carry a purse if it was that one! :-0
Posted by: mark

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/06/04 01:01 AM

Wouldn't be hard to make it a picture frame. Depending on how it's built, scrape the electronics, keep the frame and hinges then add some 1/8th inch plexi and any matting/backing you need and you'll have it. Worst case you'll need to fire up a dremel tool to get rid of any plastic ribbing in the LCD housing. You should be able to use most of the existing mounting points and screws to assemble it. You might want to keep the keyboard mounted to keep it looking nice but it could be a cool picture frame. Maybe hinge it and build a small storage area under it (borrowing from the purse idea)
Posted by: karl

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/07/04 01:39 PM

Why not turn it into an electronic pictureframe? If it can be done with an old PB it can be done with an iBook, and the Clamshells are much cooler looking than the old drab PBs.

On the purse tangent, with the HD, MB, screen, drives and everything out of it, it will just be plastic and very light.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/07/04 02:03 PM

a picture frame eh? clamshell? but the clamshell still has a lot going for it. oh well, i'd throw a cherry wood look around it, or brushed steel
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/07/04 02:08 PM

do the purse and take the guts and make a picture frame out of something else. Use some cool looking case and put the guts in that. Then you get a double wammy! laugh

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/07/04 02:19 PM

lego picture frame?

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/08/04 03:01 PM

I took mine apart to fix the motherboard today and you are right. It is really light!!

iPurse? Maybe!
Posted by: karl

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/08/04 04:38 PM

Take some 1/4'' foam and some nice fabric. Make sure to connect the two pieces od the iBook so they do not open to far and tada iPurse. BUT what about the iBrief? Use a nicer leather material and have a place for your PDA/Cell and some documents, that would be a very cool attache/breifcase laugh
Posted by: mark

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/09/04 07:38 AM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
lego picture frame?

For the most part that ones been done. It isn't in color but Applefritter's compubrick 160 would be the perfect model. Personally I'd rather see a frame made out of rounded plexi, maybe painted to make it look like a prop from a start trek series
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 06/09/04 07:59 AM

The iPurse, thats great. I would do that, take some pics and make a mod guide for our members.
Posted by: JeremyM

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 08/23/04 02:34 AM

Hey, if you're going to do anything, don't throw the guts away, I'm interested.
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 09/10/04 01:39 AM

How about iStyle, or iMakup or iCarry
Posted by: maestro

Re:clamshell ibook picture frame - 01/09/05 04:44 PM

Sorry to hear that you ibook is going south. Why don't you just fix it. You can make it into an electronic picture frame. It is really not as hard to dissamble as most people say. It would need to be about 2 inches think. The purse idea is pretty cool and the case itself is light. A picture frame with the case is a neat idea too. Good luck with what ever you decide.
-Maestro