B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD

Posted by: Tricks

B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 01/18/09 04:29 PM

Hello, I'm new in this forum.

My new project is building a ASUS/AMD computer into a B&W G3 case. (I will post photos up later)

I'm using a ASUS M3A78-EM motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&a...amp;modelmenu=1

I have already put the board in, I had to cut off some of the board supports (since I couldn't unscrew them..) I was able to use one of the supports for the upper right hand hole and another hole was located exactly over a rivet that holds the back pannel, so I removed the rivet and put a bolt. So the motherboard is held in place in 2 spots only. (I did'nt want to drill more holes than necessary)

Since this motherboard is a bit larger than some other mods I seen, I have to cut the drive-bay cage so the memory and PSU plug will clear.
A regular Drive won't fit (even the smaller ones) and I don't want to use an external drive, so I am going to buy a Slim DVD-RW drive. I have already took the measurements and it fits without hitting the memory/PSU plug.

Talking about the PSU, I am using an ANTEC power-supply. It has 2 cooling fans but I removed the larger one because I wanted the rear end plug to sit in the original spot. Some mods people flip the PSU and drill out the back but I didn't want to do that.
I didn't leave the big fan because the space between the case and fan is aprox. 1cm and the airflow wouldn't be very good, the fan would over-rev and make more noise (as seen later on with the CPU fan..).
I also found extension PSU cables on ebay so the wiring will be "clean" like it was originally.

The stock AMD cooler clears the case but as I noticed when I opened/closed the case with the computer on, the fan was way to close to the PSU and would rev-up and make more noise when the case was closed. So I looked for a horizontal low profile cooler and found this one:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=129
I will pick one up this week. It should do the trick as the airflow will be much better.

Now I need some help with the front pannel buttons. I was going to put some regular buttons behind the case buttons but it wasn't working out so I'm going to use the original front panel. I need to figure out the wiring so can use the plug. I don't want to solder wires, It would be much simpler just patching the plug. Can anyone give me the layout of the 20pin plug?
Looks like this one:
Posted by: whitlock

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 01/18/09 10:01 PM

If the pinout looks like this:

Pins 3 & 6 combined will give power. You can play around with the wiring and see if you can get some other features working, but that will push you in the right direction.

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 01/19/09 07:50 AM

This plug is a 20-pin....
Posted by: whitlock

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 01/19/09 08:33 AM

My bad! I pulled my info for a newer G4-style case button board and didn't realize it. There is a lot of information out there for using the G4 case button board, but the info I found was completely mislabeled.

Short of following the traces back from the buttons or just playing around with wires, maybe someone that still has a G3 could chime in and help?

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 01/21/09 12:44 PM

I was able to figure out the Power and Reset buttons but I'm still working out the Power Led.
Posted by: Oelmuvun

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 01/21/09 04:49 PM

Might this provide handy information?
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/MacinPC_ATX_case/Blue_G3_to_ATX.html
Posted by: sour

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 02/22/09 09:35 AM

Hi!
I've done a mATX -> iMacG3 mod (w/ 15" LCD), but now I'm trying to get the ASRock mATX into the B&W case.
Can you post the wiring of the front panel.
Maybe you have taking some photos of your mod?
Posted by: maestro

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 03/17/09 10:35 AM

Suggestion. Dump the panel all together. The MB has power, reset, led attachments. Attach new switches as well as led to a board. That is if you really want it to look stock. Otherwise a blue-lit Bulgin push button switch would look really cool. HDD led could be put into the reset buttons hole.

Just some thoughts for ya.

-maestro
Posted by: sour

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 03/18/09 01:55 AM

Hi
I figured out the pin's. I also broke the original led laugh
So I soldered another LED and it works.
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: B&W G3 powered by ASUS/AMD - 03/19/09 01:10 AM

Since you figured it out, you going to post a pinout for it?