feasability of a wii mac mini

Posted by: lawless23456

feasability of a wii mac mini - 10/19/08 12:15 PM

hi all

what is the feasability of put a mac mini innards into a wii console case, they seem roughly the same size.

this is just one of a few mac mods im thinking of doing over the coming year or so

thanks
lawless
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: feasability of a wii mac mini - 10/19/08 12:43 PM

Anything is possible. The hardest part to overcome would be that the Wii is 1/4" thinner than a Mini. I haven't been into a mini, but I'd be surprised if there's that much extra clearance. Other than that, there's about 2" extra in length and width. Those 2" would make port relocation easy enough. Perhaps you could even integrate the SD card reader in the front.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: feasability of a wii mac mini - 10/19/08 01:23 PM

lawless, I agree with Tonimus on this, its def doable. There will be some internal case modifications I would guess though. When you get started, be sure to take plenty of pics and document the process. We'd love to feature the mod guide on the site.

Re: feasability of a wii mac mini - 10/19/08 02:59 PM

i will be sure to document it, i will be sourcing faulty wii for case and mac mini in the next couple weeks, think im gonna go with the mini g4 as these are cheap and i dont wanna be spending loads on a mac mini just to mess around with

lawless
Posted by: RadioC1ash

Re: feasability of a wii mac mini - 10/19/08 03:08 PM

I might start with attempting to make a cover out of plexi or something like that for the Mini. That way, you don't have to wreck two systems to get the mod done wink

Re: feasability of a wii mac mini - 10/19/08 03:44 PM

just a quick question

once i have disassembled the mac mini what are the chances are me being able to put it back toghether again and in working order should the project go belly up?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: feasability of a wii mac mini - 10/19/08 05:49 PM

fine, just make sure to take plenty of pics and count and make notes on where the screws come from.

With iFixIt's guide, you should be ok...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Mac-Mini-PowerPC/82/