arcadiMac

Posted by: napes

arcadiMac - 10/01/08 01:59 AM

Have dropped by these forums a lot, but never posted, so apologies for being such a lousy lurker. However... for my first post I present 'arcadiMac'

I guess this is a case mod... mods - please move this if I've posted in the wrong spot.

Finished last night - still a bit of tidy up to go but mostly there...

iMac 233MHz running OS9 and MacMame.
Uses iPac controller for arcade buttons/joysticks etc
Unsoldered & rewired start button on iMac to arcade switch.
Built cabinet (obviously) - not a kit.
All functions controlled from joysticks via QuickKeys
Total cost less than $200. Hurrah!

OS9 runs surprisingly snappy with most roms except NeoGeo. Sorry - the images appear to be a bit big so are getting clipped on the right hand side.

smile

Posted by: Speedmike

Re: arcadiMac - 10/01/08 02:36 AM

Awesome use of an iMac 233! Great job on the cabinet I like it a lot!
Posted by: whitlock

Re: arcadiMac - 10/01/08 07:06 AM

I love this mod! How much time do you think it took to get it done? Do you plan on writing a how-to? 8)

Re: arcadiMac - 10/01/08 06:09 PM

Thanks guys smile

Took quite a while, but only because I would do a day or two on it here and there then leave it for a month, plus also didn't have much of an idea in the beginning, so lots of time spent on research.

I'm actually getting together all the parts for another table - will be similar in that it will be a side by side cocktail cab again, but I'll have an actual plan this time, and I will do a proper build how-to for that and post it here. smile
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: arcadiMac - 10/01/08 06:38 PM

napes, can you do a mod guide write up for us, with some pics? We would like to feature this mod on the site and in an article.

Re: arcadiMac - 10/01/08 07:03 PM

haha - sure. There's a little bit of tidy up left to go especially with the wiring but I'll put something together over the next couple of weeks. There's also been some interest for a how-to from some guys on MacTalk and AussieArcade, so I'll send them all here when it's done too smile
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: arcadiMac - 10/01/08 07:36 PM

sounds great, just shoot us an email from the contact page when you get something solid.
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: arcadiMac - 10/02/08 01:09 AM

A guide would be awesome. I so want to build one! I've got an old clamshell iBook laying around and that would be sweet!
Posted by: RadioC1ash

Re: arcadiMac - 10/02/08 07:51 AM

Can't wait to see the guide! This gives my arcade-heartstrings a much needed plucking. Very clean (on the outside), very cunning use of the iMac. Love it.
Posted by: flippy10

Re: arcadiMac - 10/02/08 09:35 AM

Awesome mod man. Can't wait to see the write-up myself.

Re: arcadiMac - 10/02/08 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: "TonimusMaximus"
A guide would be awesome. I so want to build one! I've got an old clamshell iBook laying around and that would be sweet!

Don't destroy your iBook if it's in good condition - they're quite collectable... while iMacs make regular appearances on the side of the road... wink

Originally Posted By: "RadioC1ash"
Can't wait to see the guide! This gives my arcade-heartstrings a much needed plucking. Very clean (on the outside), very cunning use of the iMac. Love it.

Haha - yeah... no-one was supposed to see the inside!!! laugh
Posted by: ctan

Re: arcadiMac - 10/08/08 06:46 AM

Nice one. Let me know if you want any help with the mod postings, email me at the same address for the mac mod challenge entrees.

chris
Posted by: BigO

Re: arcadiMac - 10/08/08 10:49 AM

Very nice job! I'm planning on doing something like this too (almost did it for the mod challenge but ran out of time).

How does it handle start up? Does it go right into the mame app? What about switching games and such?

Re: arcadiMac - 10/08/08 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: "BigO"
Very nice job! I'm planning on doing something like this too (almost did it for the mod challenge but ran out of time).

How does it handle start up? Does it go right into the mame app? What about switching games and such?

Thanks smile

Rewired original switch to a back lit arcade switch - starts up fine.
Loads up, then straight into MacMame (the menu bar is also hidden - a bit neater)
Switching games is all done through joystick and buttons presses using quickkeys and stock Mame controls.

I'll be adding a write-up here soon - dismantled it last weekend to do final tidy up so hopefully will make good progress this weekend... smile

Re: arcadiMac - 10/08/08 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: "ctan"
Nice one. Let me know if you want any help with the mod postings, email me at the same address for the mac mod challenge entrees.

chris

Cool - will do smile