red and black 2.0

Posted by: TCPMeta

red and black 2.0 - 09/21/08 07:20 AM

Last year I painted a G4 sawtooth case red and black. I decided to take it further and get rid of the shinny chrome inside the case. I found a can of Metalcast red paint in my paint supplies box and took off a panel on the case to do a test so if it didn't come out right the panel would hide the mistake. The paint test came out great. I removed all of the panels and gutted the system and painted the whole metal frame of the case in the red metalcast. Since I didn't want just red I painted a the CD-ROM/Zip Drive cage in a semi flat black. I also gutted the power supply and painted the power supply cage/case in semi gloss black as well.

Next step is to mount the 120mm fan back but with out that rail. I'm thinking to use some riser studs for that.

I also need to get some black round IDE cables and a wire sleeve kit for the power supply cables.

The only thing I don't like about this is the PCB materiel Apple chose doesn't fit the scheme at all. Having green colored circuit boards in a red case looks ugly as heck. I could put white glue on most of the contacts then paint it with a enamel and peel the glue back off but that would be too much work.

BTW, i'll take some pictures soon.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: red and black 2.0 - 09/21/08 10:15 AM

yes, pictures smile
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: red and black 2.0 - 09/21/08 12:13 PM

Here's a link to liquid electrical tape. You might try this stuff. I've used it to repair all kinds of oddball stuff. I know it comes in black, red and white. Maybe a few others by now. The can comes with a brush inside and one can would easily cover one side of your MoBo. I'd get two for one side though, depending on how black you want it to be.
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: red and black 2.0 - 09/21/08 12:27 PM

Also, for your wiring, you might look at "custom" tubing for it. Comes in lots of sizes and lots colors.

Re: red and black 2.0 - 09/22/08 08:28 AM

I'll live with the green and toss on some red bling. Maybe a few LEDs and such.

I'm tired of wire looming. I've been using it for years on my PC mods and my car is also loaded with it. I might try some automotive silicon rubber tubing to cover the cables so it looks like one massive cable instead of 4 running to each device. Not to mention it will insulate better. Hard part is to cover up the connection to the logicboard.

I'll take better pics when I get more free time.

Re: red and black 2.0 - 09/22/08 08:49 AM

Oh, I need the pinout for the front panel. I tried to turn the ribbon cable into a round cable and screwed it up.