project bad apple!!!!

Posted by: downlinx

project bad apple!!!! - 08/12/08 05:30 AM

well, i just inhereted 2 B&W g3 cases from my father inlaw and now i guess im going to finally mod a mac, i have modded many pc's and just got my first mac and now its time to slice and dice. But this will not be your ordinary apple mod, i know i know you will hate me but this will be modding the mac to fit a pc and to bastardize the g3 computer.
here is what the computer looks like now

and here is what the computer will look like when i am done(but this is only in beta format, its still in sloppy format).
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/12/08 06:42 AM

It would be super cool to do the blue lines with EL wire and the dots with LEDs!

You could always do AHEM certain things to allow this box to run OS X when its done if you like. Good Luck!
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/12/08 04:06 PM

downlinx, welcome to macmod. You will find some people around here that will flame you for even thinking this, and others that will support you. But, this is what modding is all about, taking something and modding it to make it fit for you.

Good luck with the mod. I like mordasky's suggestions on the LEDs and EL wire too!

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/12/08 04:36 PM

i thought about that too and it sounds like a good idea and i just might implament it. and i know people will flame me but the truth needs to be told.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/15/08 07:33 AM

Are you going to be done before the end of the month?

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/16/08 05:51 AM

i have decided to go a different way with the case and i am hopping to be done by the end of the month. here is where i am going to go with it, sorry drastic change but i had a few too many drinks when i made and posted the last one.

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/17/08 10:54 PM

so, my question, why the HUGE apple logo?

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/18/08 06:42 AM

because a buddy of mine saw what i was going to do to the case and he wants to put his g5 into the computer and he is going to trade me his metal case for this one plus buy the supplies to make the conversion. So he wanted to keep the apple and this is what we came up with.

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/18/08 02:19 PM

ah ok, cool. I was a little confused b/c I thought you were gonna be using it for your PC.

Good luck getting a g5 into that case. Better be looking at water cooling too. Those G5s are HOT!

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/18/08 04:45 PM

wont be a problem getting in there with cooling, there will be at least three 120mm fans in the case and a nice low profile zalman heatsink.
Originally Posted By: "krusher117"
Are you going to be done before the end of the month?

its not going to be done by the end of the month. to allow for maximum dry time of the primer and paint before i start wetsanding the paint it will be 3 weeks for maximum dry time for paint and primer.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/18/08 04:57 PM

The G5 in its stock case has 8 or 9 fans in a much larger case. Aside from that, getting the board and the PSU in a G3/4 case will be no mean feat on their own. They are much bigger than ATX parts.

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/18/08 06:38 PM

agreed war, I think it will be a feat in and of itself to get a g5 into that case and running well. But, I would love to see it! that logic board is pretty big...

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/18/08 06:40 PM

oh i know, i have done my reasearch and there will be plenty of room when done to fit it into place, already got a lion pan insert getting ready to get rivitted into place. also the crossbar at the top will be moving up higher on the dvd tray side to allow for the mobo. not my first rodeo big guy. been modding pc's for 5-6 yrs but this is my first mac mod, so i will prolly come to the experts if i get stuck.

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/19/08 09:55 AM

no worries, I think most of us here would rather give the advice that something is going to be a tough feat to someone rather than them thinking it will be a piece of cake and start something they can't finish. Just keep in mind that the G5 is one of the hottest processors ever produced. That is the reason Apple could never get one in a laptop. It will need alot of cooling.

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/19/08 11:01 AM

well, got some bad news, bud backed out of the deal, his wife wont let him go through with it, time to come up with a new plan. so if anyone has ideas let me know because this thing is going to be wild. (and i just might get a copy of boot camp to dual boot for you mac heads)

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/19/08 05:04 PM

unless you plan on installing an intel processor in that machine, you won't be dual booting.

But, I would love to see some macosx86project.org action. Just remember that Apple does not allow the installation of Mac OS X on non apple hardware, AND, you def need to buy Mac OS X.

good luck.

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/19/08 06:21 PM

i have a copy of osX, got it from my father inlaw, and it will def. be getting a intel processor, got a nice pentium d 3.2 dual core lying around and it would be perfect for this setup.

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/20/08 01:00 AM

It has an Apple logo on the case (or could have). Doesn't that make it Apple branded?

wink

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/20/08 05:13 AM

well this will be for my personal use now, so if your lucky you might se an apple on the bottom of the case, lol. Just kidding, i have a plan(might make a custom apple fan grill)

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/20/08 04:51 PM

sounds cool man. Be sure to take plenty of pics of the process, so you can make a mod guide. ;D

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/21/08 01:04 AM

That is a point though, if you take a Mac, and 'upgrade' the internals with off the shelf PC bits, does it violate the EULA? Or does that mean anone running 3rd party CPU upgrades (or anything else non-Apple branded) is already violating it?

Re: project bad apple!!!! - 08/21/08 07:05 AM

you know apple doesnt make there own processors dont you, they havent dont that since the motorola processors. they contract intel to make there processors and motherboards. it is just like going to the super market and buy a name brand item and when you find out that that same name brand item make the supermarkets brand and just put it into the markets bag or box you kick yourself in the head and say i should have known.(btw, that is what happen in supermarkets) so, it doesnt matter if it is 3rd party or not, it is still the same intel processor company.