Clear case mod for c2d imac?

Posted by: Fazer

Clear case mod for c2d imac? - 07/24/08 04:52 PM

Hey guys,
I've got a c2d imac, and was wanting to put alittle flare to it. I was wondering, has anyone thought of a clear casing to replace the white casing, or does someone already make such a thing?

Re: Clear case mod for c2d imac? - 07/26/08 03:05 PM

no one? :-
Posted by: mattruben

Re: Clear case mod for c2d imac? - 07/27/08 06:02 AM

No one makes such a thing. The toughest aspect would be the cost of paying a fabricator, as it would take a lot of technical skill to make it yourself.

There are also two other problems:

(1) Unlike the original G5 version of these iMacs, the Intel-based ones have the side and rear part of the case as one piece - so you'd need to make the front bezel and the side/rear (whereas with a G5 iMac you could just make the front/rear piece clear, which would be easier).

(2) But the biggest drawback by far is that the Intel iMacs (again, unlike the G5 iMacs) are butt-ugly inside - the internal components aren't arranged very nicely, and there are sheets of metal EMI shielding all over the place.

M

Re: Clear case mod for c2d imac? - 07/28/08 01:01 PM

Ah, did not know that. Thanks for the info, ill know now to keep the pretty snow white case.
Posted by: flippy10

Re: Clear case mod for c2d imac? - 07/29/08 09:45 AM

I wonder, think you would be able to RIT dye the case of the iMac? A red one would be quite sweet.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Clear case mod for c2d imac? - 07/29/08 02:02 PM

Now you're talking. Not the simplest task, but potentially fabulous results.

Re: Clear case mod for c2d imac? - 07/29/08 05:41 PM

hmm, nice point flippy. I am looking into it as we speak. If anything sparks, ill make sure to keep you guys updated.