Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower)

Posted by: luminerd

Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/19/07 10:07 PM

Hey everyone,
I am looking to modify my Mac Pro (not to be confused with MacBook Pro) and add some slickness.  I would sincerely appreciate any help or advice that you can provide.

My goal is to put 4 cold cathodes in the Mac Pro.  Two would go up and down on either side of the front, and the other two would go up and down on either side of the back.  The desired effect is for the blue to not be directly visible, but to filter through the holes in the Mac Pro case a little, and provide a somewhat eerie, cool blue light coming out of every hole....I hope this is understandable.

I do not know how/where to power these cathodes from.  Does the power supply have any extra cords?

I only use 1 hard drive out of 4, so perhaps I can somehow use the leftovers for the cathodes?  Still, that only gives me 3 extra plugs, and I want 4 cathodes.

Another thought I had was to get some sort of splitter...so I could plug in to one of the leftover hard drive bays, and bring the plugs more out to the open to make it much easier to work with.  Is this feasible?

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, etc for me?

Thanks!!
Posted by: WOOKIE1212

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/20/07 12:39 AM

hy..
the cathodes have got an inverter..where you can 2CCFL's on....
thats what i can say..
how you can hide them.you can cover them with something i dont know...sorry
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/20/07 07:00 AM

Most CCFL inverters run off of Molex connectors. SATA drives like yours don't use molexes, but your optical drive does. And yes you will need a splitter if you want to run two inverters. They shouldn't be tough to find. Or expensive.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/20/07 09:12 AM

You can buy a adapter that converts molex to SATA and vice versa.
Posted by: maestro

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/20/07 12:04 PM

I did that too my G5.  I think its somewhere in the posts or mod logs if you feel like looking for it.  I mostly order from wink
Posted by: luminerd

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/20/07 02:05 PM

Wookie1212: Ah, okay, I forgot about the dual cathode sets.  Thanks.

Waragainstsleep: Ah, okay, so I should be able to find a way to get at the molex for the second optical bay (which is also unused)?  In which case, I could use a splitter, and even if I needed to, use another splitter in one of those?  Can my PSU handle this?  I assume it's high quality...Apple tends to be smile

TCPMeta: Ah, okay, very good to know.  So I could convert from SATA to molex and use one of the hard drive bays' power if the optical drive didn't work out for me.  Thanks.

Maestro: I saw the modded G5 in the mods section, very slick.  Unfortunately, the G5 is a completely different machine on the inside, although the outside is quite similar.  I'm not too worried about costs here, I mean at most with all the converters and the cathodes, it couldn't possibly be over $50 or so, no?  I'll check out Performance-PCs, although I'm somewhat loyal to Xoxide.com smile Thanks for the suggestions!

Does anyone have anything more specific for me on how to work on the inside of the Mac Pro?  How I can get the innards out, etc?

Thanks all!
Posted by: MacTechDude

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/26/07 10:18 AM

Go with a Neon Mod

"Cold Cathode Kit" I would recommend the 4" duals cuz the 12" are hard to fit in, I have BOTH 12" and 4" duals in my PowerMac G5, I dont have pictures of the 4" ones in there but here is a pic of when only the 12" ones were in there..

Heres the thread for the rest of the Pictures
http://www.macmod.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,222/topic,2646.0
Posted by: WOOKIE1212

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/26/07 10:19 AM

hy..
hot machine..

good placement..

Wookie
Posted by: MacTechDude

Re: Seeking help/suggestions/advice on modding Mac Pro (Intel tower) - 05/26/07 10:22 AM

hey thanks man! check out the rest of my pics, i posted the mod, the link is below that picture!!! ^ ^