g3 motherboard in a g4 case

Posted by: zrust

g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/25/07 07:49 AM

Can i put my g3 beige motherboard in an agp g4 case? Are there any power differences? Do i have to do a lot of cutting and soldering? Any help would be appreciated smile

g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/25/07 08:53 AM

Also, i acquired an old creative pci fx ard to solve the opengl problem. after i put it in, the mac booted normally, but the opengl error is still there...do i have to do anything to install it?
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/25/07 11:16 AM

Is the card Mac compatible? What OS version are you running? What model card is it?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/25/07 11:39 AM

Beige G3s use bog standard ATX PSUs, but G4s are a little different. Luckily they aren't too different, and you can alter the G4 supply with only a pair of wire clippers.

If you snip the grey wire and the white wire, and leave enough length at the connector end, so you can loop the severed end back and stuff it in another pin. Just stuff the grey wire into an orange one, and the white wire into a black one. Of course this assumes your PSU follows the colour conventions. Some generic ATX ones don't, but Apple ones should.

This is something of a bodge job way of doing it, but it does work and if you are sensible, its perfectly safe.
Check your colours here:

http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml

The AGP G4 is also know as the Sawtooth.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/25/07 04:35 PM

Just keep in mind the Digital Audio and the gigabit have totally different power supples due to the need of a 18 volt lead.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/25/07 06:43 PM

just put the power supply from the G3 in the new case..
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/25/07 07:04 PM

Unless it's a mini tower, the G3 had a different shaped PSU...

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/26/07 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: "Protocol6v "

Is the card Mac compatible? What OS version are you running? What model card is it?

Well, i dont know if its compatible or not, how can i check? im running x 10.2.8. id dont know the card model either
Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

Beige G3s use bog standard ATX PSUs, but G4s are a little different. Luckily they aren't too different, and you can alter the G4 supply with only a pair of wire clippers.

well, im not too keen on doing that, but if i use the g3s psu, wont the ports be misaligned with the back panel?
(which reminds me, how do i remove the back panel with the g4 logic board port openings?)

Thanx fo all you help guys
Posted by: maestro

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/26/07 10:13 AM

You could sell the G4 psu and pick up a PC ATX psu for cheap.  Most will fit.  I have used ati 7000 and 9200s in G3s with success.  A 7000 is plenty for the work that a G3 can do anyway and they are super cheap.  You will need to do some cutting on the case, but I say go for it.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/26/07 12:09 PM

What is reporting an OpenGL error anyway?
Posted by: zenstate

Re: g3 motherboard in a g4 case - 04/26/07 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: "maestro "

You could sell the G4 psu and pick up a PC ATX psu for cheap.  Most will fit.  I have used ati 7000 and 9200s in G3s with success.  A 7000 is plenty for the work that a G3 can do anyway and they are super cheap.  You will need to do some cutting on the case, but I say go for it.

I bought an ati 7000 on ebay for $18