Need a HOW-TO on LED mod

Posted by: Bobdude161

Need a HOW-TO on LED mod - 01/07/07 12:30 AM

I am lookin to put some led lights in the clear stands on my Sawtooth.  Need a little pizzazz nam sayin'?  Problem is I don't know quite how to do it.  I know the electrical part of it, just wanted to see if someone has made a guide specifially for what I'm doing.  Looking around I haven't seen it yet.  So if ya could help me out that would be fantastic!  smile
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Need a HOW-TO on LED mod - 01/07/07 05:05 AM

this will get you started..

http://www.instructables.com/id/E9NFEFO2ZGEV2Z9QKZ/?ALLSTEPS
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Need a HOW-TO on LED mod - 01/08/07 04:04 AM

It's easyer to find LEDs that can withstand 5volts. Heres a site to find all the parts you would ever need. http://www.allelectronics.com
Posted by: Bobdude161

Re: Need a HOW-TO on LED mod - 01/08/07 07:26 AM

ah well.  I bought a fifty pack of blue 3.3v LEDs that come with 100 Ohm resistors.  Setup won't be as pretty as a 5v would be, but ten bucks for a fifty pack, I'll take it!  lol.  Now I'm picturing how I'm going to do this.  I want to put a couple of LEDs in each side of each plastic stand of my Sawtooth.  I'll probably start with the bottom stands to see how they look. 

Now this means 4 LEDs per stand, with of course a total of 8 LEDs (and resistors) need hooking up.  I was thinking of making a small PCB for the resistors, but that's too complicated for me.  So I'll just place each resistor on it's wire to it's own LED.  Is there anyway I can make the wiring for the LEDs look decent?  For the positive wires I was thinking of hooking up all 8 wires to the 5v slot in a male Molex connector and then of course hooking all the negative wires to the ground slot of the Molex connector.  Is this how the other modders do this?  Or is there a more efficient way (besides a 5v LED :-)  )? 
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: Need a HOW-TO on LED mod - 01/08/07 03:58 PM

That sounds right to me, the +5 and ground.  As for wiring it nicely, you could get some shrink wrap cable stuff, you run all the wires thru it then heat it up with a hair dryer so it makes it into one larger wire