How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation

Posted by: mrbean

How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 04:55 AM

Hello,
So starts my 1st Project Log Down Under. Greetings from Melbourne.

It has always been a dream of mine to convert a X86 System into one of the newer generation PowerMac boxes, having admired the sleek, curvatious body...err...I mean cases for a very long time.

On relocating to Melbourne from sunny South Africa, I had the opportunity to get a brandnew PowerMac G5 case of Ebay, it was an impulsive buy, ok, as most of my purchases are But, it came with 600W Apple PSU, some cabling, drive trays etc, and I saw in it an opportunity to at last get my hands on this case.

Goals:
1st SLi capable "PowerMac" in the world - I have 2x 7800GTX BFG OC's, watercooled, that will go in here.
Dualcore 4800+ AMD CPU
2 gig OCZ 2-2-2-5 TCCD memory

Special Micro-ATX eVGA SLi motherboard, 1st of it's kind in the world.

Utilizing standard Apple 600W PSU

Biggest goal, and challenge, would be NOT to butcher the rear of the G5 case, as I have seen done on each and every X86 conversion so far. I want a clean, basic look, without hacking everything to bits. If I have to mod the std rear, which ultimately I think I will have to, I want to make it neat, factory-like, and it must enhance the rear of the case, not bolz it up

So, by utilizing the eVGA micro-SLi mobo, I hope to use the same 4x PCI-slot standard as on the back of the G5 case, and do the cutout for the rear ports using std ATX backplate - I should be able to even retain the original G5 fanholes/guards, for that clean, original look.

System will be watercooled, using BIX II 2x 120mm rad, DD5 Laing pump, and customized Antarctica waterblock for the cpu.

DVD writer is a multiburner, std ide style - it will mount same position as original, and retain the very unique PowerMac slide-down front bezel plate - spiffy design by Apple, I must add.

Harddrives are 2x WD Raptor 74gigs, in Raid 0, and I will have a Firewire external 250gig for large storage capacity, if required.

This PC will be my main racing sim rig, and with the hardware, will be up to the task for at least another 3years or longer.

Tonight I will start posting some pictures, I have stripped the case bare, and started with planning - usually this takes me a couple of hours just staring at the empty case, and visualizing the end result.

I need to rewire Apple PSU, as the ATX-plug is wired totally different to X86 ATX standards, but, I openend it up, had a quick look, and all signals I need are available, so I will "code" the ATX plug to conform to X86 standard. I would luv to keep this supply, as it is low-profile, and blends in nicely with G5 case, giving me the looks I am after.

BIX rad will go up front, vertical next to front-panel port/switch unit, hopefully I can manufacture a custom shroud to get a clean transition from rad->fans->cpu area, similar to PowerMac look.

Harddrives will stay where they are in original PowerMac position, upper rear of the case, with the 2x center fans providing cooling for them.

Front panel connector will be fully functional, incl Firewire ports, USB/Audio and power LED - board requires 25V to function, but that I can take from Apple PSU.

Well, be certain, I will give it my best shot, and hopefully end up with a very unique hybrid.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 04:56 AM

Onto some photos, this the case in it's original incarnation:

Here is a close-up of the powerswitch, and ports...

Side shot - both sides appear similar

From the rear....

Close-up of fangrills - yes, they're metal, and they're held in place by small screws....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 04:57 AM

a Shot of the latch - very nice construction, solid aluminium, with a nice meganism on the inside....

Shot with the airbaffle open....

Airbaffle in normal position......

600W PSU mounted in the bottom - very neat, notice 2x 60mm fans in the front for cooling - I like this design, about the size of 120mmx2 rad, just wider

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 04:57 AM

2x 3.5" harddrive cage - see the locks on the right side - here they're open.....

And here they're closed/locked....

Here is the fans mounted to cool harddrives down....

Here is a close-up of front powerswitch/ports viewed from the inside...

Here is a shot of the cdrom front stealh tray - it actually moves down when cdrom opens, and back up when cdrom retracts - cool!

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 04:58 AM

a Final shot of the open side, with neat cable tray in place.....

Ok, a small update - firstly, been stripping the case to prep it for little cutting/machining work.....

Also ended up at Dick Smith Electronics, and found this:

Going to be used as a mobo tray for this setup, as exsisting G5 mobo standoffs differ from ATX format - a pity, but a nice challenge.

Next to case to show size...

Where will it go....

a Set of Torx keys, to disassemble this case.....decent quality at Aud $10- , from Dick Smith.....

Case from the rear, with fanguards removed...

Fanguards.....

and finally, a shot showing my plan for the rear, purple areas will stay, but blue will be removed - I will customize a rear port plate out of same alu, and bolt it in place with tiny screws, to keep Apple neatness factor...

More to follow soon.....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 04:59 AM

re-thought my mobo tray setup, and changed my plan a little - instead of using 300x300 backplate and trim it down to fit mobo's 245/240mm profile, I will use a much larger backplate, to cover all the studs etc in the G5 box....

It will basically become a 2nd sidepanel, with approx 10mm gap between exsisting panel and new one, with new panel bolting to original - albeit shortened - Apple mobo studs, and then drilling and tapping new holes to mount new X86 mobo.

This will create a very smooth interior, creating the illusion of an original G5 side without studs. The 10mm gap between mobo tray and sidecover will still house the original G5 cable duct, see 1st pictures with grey cable duct.

Then, I will probably mount my Enermax 600W PSu into the G5 600W housing, as I doubt the 600W Apple PSU has enough vooma to supply 7800GTX SLi - it has 3x 12V rails, 13.5A, 9A and 13.5A respectively, which won't cut it.

I have checked, you can easily fit 2x ATX supplies into the G5 PSU housing, and height won't be a problem either, even though the G5 PSU's housing have a lower profile. I will leave G5 PSU cooling fans on the front to ccol Enermax electronics.

This will save me a lot of rewiring, making up 6-pin gfx power plugs, etc.... and will work a lot better

a Few photos of the mobo as promissed....

Comes in this non-descriptive brown packaging, oem style, but Duane at SEA apologized for this, as eVGA have not finalized retail box for this yet......

No worries for me, as I am more excited to what's in the box.....

Quite a good bunch of goodies for OEM anyway, small manual, SATA Raid drivers, SLi bridge, rear I/O port plate, 2x rounded IDE cables, and of course the mobo itself.....a shot of the rear I/O ports...

Angled view of the board.....

Top view of the board - nice and compact, and by a quick estimation, it seems I should be able to retain stock G5 PCI rack, and fanholes in case - just need to modify rear I/O port plate in the case...but that was to be expected....

Board is 24.5cm X 24.0cm, same width as a std ATX board, but lower in height due to 2 to 3 PCI slots less. 2x Yellow Sli PCI-Express ports are 8x, but middle blue one is 16x.....which will anyway not be useable once 2x GFX's are fitted.....

Now to do some planning, and rethink motherboard tray plate, as I need to buy the sheet metal tomorrow, and want to make sure I buy exact size needed, maybe slightly bigger, so I can trim to my liking....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:01 AM

Basically the red block is the 300mm sheet I got from Dick Smith's, but, after some deliberation I decided to use a larger sheet, to cover all the ungainly G5 mobo studs, and have the tray go behind the psu all the way to the bottom of the G5 floor - or at least, close to the floor.

This would round of the looks quite a bit.....the plate will go between the rear side wall, and PSU, there is a 1cm gap...

See this piece of photo-editing brilliance....

Then, on top off the PSU, front to back of the case, and the width of the PSU, basically covering the complete top of it, there will be another aly sheet, bolted to the lid of the PSU, and isolating the PSU air stream from the rest of the mobo compartment.....

It will butt at right angles to the new mobo tray, acting as a false floor, and hiding PSU below it......

So, something like this.....please, no comments on my l33t editing skillz.... wink I know, you would like to know how to do it,  but for now I'll keep it a secret...rofl...

Been doing some thinking, most importantly on how to keep internal layout and looks clean as Apple intended - even though I am refitting with watercooling, 2x 120mm rad, reservoir, pump, and X86 components.

So, with that in mind, I decided to keep original Apple 600W psu housing, which looks like this on the inside....note the monster pcb, with very large heatsinks - bigger than anything I have sen on any ATX psu up to date...

This is what it looks like naked...

And maybe we can fot both ATX internals, as well as bayres inside - should look very clean, and do away with bulk res would add to inside of case...

This is the ATX candidate...some would recognize it from my previous Project Supercool wink

and this is what this one looks naked....yay baby...come to daddy...

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:01 AM

The 220Vac filter I am going to transplant to Apple plug-connector...

a Little soldering later, and it fits here....

See how small ATX internals is are compared to original Apple 600W unit.....and this is the Enermax 600W unit...wow...tiny...

This is how I plan on fitting reservoir and psu internals into the apple casing....with space to spare...

Here is another image from the top....

I need to redo wiring completely, so this will be a purpose-wired setup, getting rid of unwanted/unused wires, and making setup modular, like those fancy psu's you can buy nowadays - I want to do this myself, so....

Fan will go on top, on the outside of the psu housing, blowing into the housing, cooling the heatsinks directly underneath. a Decent 120mm fan spinning at around 8-9V should do the job quite nicely....

I will do some more work on the weekend, was waiting for some minor hardware things, like more alu plate etc....

Let me know what you think wink

For those that don't know, here are the specs for the Enermax 600w unit....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:02 AM

Will see how this is going to turn out, with reservoir going into psu housing, and 120mm fan on top, I can remove 2 front psu fans (obsolete now) and thermochill 2x 120 mm rad fits like a glove in front of case....

But, this is just an idea, I might even have a surprise with 3x 120mm thermochill raddy.....

I have both lying side by side, and checking to see which one I will use....

This is what I got from PcCasegear ....2x Lian-Li PC70 blank alu sidepanels, to use for motherboards tray, rad shroud, psu cover, etc.....they come very well packed, decent foam support etc....pity I have to cut these up frown

Then, 4x of these Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fans with fluid bearings, 150k hours life (or 17 years ) super quiet, producing 63.7cfm at 28db only.....noice.....they're 25mm thick, which is good...

a Decent 24pin ATX psu tester, can test all voltages fom your supply....

another angle, out of box....

and another 1....

and from the other end...

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:03 AM

a Multi port adapter.....

and another angle....6x led ports, 4x 5V fan ports, 4x 12V fan ports

and a beautiful 2x 120mm black aluminium fan grill - will go nicely with black and alu theme...

Ok, now onto the more serious hardware.....

The now standard (for me) Swiftech 655 pump, exactly the same as Laing DD5 unit.....here you can see the specs....

and another view to give idea of the size - approx 1/2 of Eheim 1048 - but a few times more powerful.....

This little bugger I will try and squeeze between the 2x SLi 7800GTX cards, it should just fit on the eVGA mobo (hopefully) - it is a Swiftie Chipset block - nice and cute - I was amzed at the size....

and it's bigger brother, the G4 Storm, for the cpu of course....note the jet-plate inside...

and here are the 2 side by side....

and a last shot to show-off the tiny little cutie chipset block......hehe

Let me know what you guys think so far - now I can start modding seriously.....was waiting for the alu-sheeting to start in earnest.....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:04 AM

Quick idea - I am doing some planning wrt psu setup, and maybe I will redo stock Apple PSU housing out of aluminium, make it a little higher, so I can fit a single 120mm fan horizontally across the heatsinks?

So, I buy a sheet-metal brake, I have enough alu sheeting, and I manufacture an exact apple replica, but around 4cm higher, and slightly shorter in length, so as to better fot the rad, and it's fans.

Should look very good....now to find a decent sheet-metal brake on ebay.....some good ones for around Aud $95, that will work perfectly...

The idea is something like this over at Bit-Tech, where Ggnome made a decent motherboard tray - I would be using same method to do a decent psu housing

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:05 AM

Ok Boys and girls....been doing a bit of modding lately, had to run around to get small bits and pieces from Bunnings, like taps and dies, some rubber standoffs etc....and of course metal blades for my Bosch Jigsaw - with the relocation mine got packed in somewhere, and I just couldn't find it.

anyway, this is what I have been busy with....

Here is a close-up shot of the new motherboard tray, with brass standoffs fitted. take note that mobo-tray will be secured with allan-cap stainless steel screws, those used is just for testing purposes....

Formed the tray to blend in nicely with the top tray, looking very good.

Here is a close up shot of the rear, showing that I will be using original pci-slot integrated plate of G5 case. The I/O plate will be changed though, I will dremel that out later, but again, as mentioned earlier, I will not butcher the case, even the original fan holes will remain smile And yes, the system will be SLi of course.

Here I have test GFX cars, ATi X600 Fitted. Also note the 108Mbit D-link wireless card...

And, here's a shot of the motherboard test fit, with gfx card and motherbaord mounted to motherbaord tray....

And here is a head-on shot, showing a little more detail.

As mentioned earlier, original G5 psu housing will be retained, but fitted out with Enermax 600W internals.....This will go in the area immediately below the motherboard....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:06 AM

Ok, just to show you where rad, and psu fits in the picture (no pun intended)

And a nice angled shot from the rear, giving you an idea of the real-estate available in the case....remember, reservoir will fit inside psu housing too, and then harddrives and cdrom will fit in original Apple positions, on the top tray......

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:07 AM

Ok a short update - got home late from work today, so only a tiny bit....psu work of course.

Here is the front of the stock supply, showing mounting location of 2x 60mm (original) fans. This will change.

Here is the top where 2x 120mm fans will be resting, the one on the left is towards the rear of the case, and will suck through the psu housing, where the one on the right will blow into the housing, to create proper aeration.

Don't worry, it makes sense to me, and will work a charm....I will run fans 8v or so, have them very quiet, but still have better-than-stock cooling/flow across the heatsinks.

Here is a last piccie (for now) to show where the Enermax electronics will be located - you can see where I installed the threaded inserts (rivnuts they are called) to mount the electronics.

Don't worry about the color, etc, there is a lot to be done before psu is finished, eg good spray, etc.....some filing, dremel action, making holes for fans....all in good time.

To explain airflow a bit better, look at my artistic rendition of airflow into housing, flowing left-to-right across electronics, and being evacuated by the rear fan - don't worry about actual directions, but the principle is simple smile Then, once the hot air is evacuated, there will be 2x 92mm rear case fans, mounted in original Apple location, that will exhaust it from the case.....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:07 AM

Ok, been studying the radiator placement a little.....height, and slightly off-center to accommodate standard G5 powerswitch etc....

This is where it will go.....

and a little closer view....yes, that is a temporary support keeping it at the correct height wink Will be replaced by something the exact same height, but a little more permanent....hehe

And this is the view from the front, not much I can do to hide the rad...except maybe using a nice black fanfilter material that will make the view a little more opaque...

Another worry I have is how to secure the rad - but I may have a clean solution....

You guys reckon this looks good, or not? I will replace the front "fan-mount" brackets by decent alu, or remove those completely so you can only view rad outline....and in the dark interior it will be less visible than those chrome mounts in the front?

Agreed?

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: "mrbean"
Here is a close up shot of the rear, showing that I will be using original pci-slot integrated plate of G5 case. The I/O plate will be changed though, I will dremel that out later, but again, as mentioned earlier, I will not butcher the case, even the original fan holes will remain

Mmm...I was toying with this idea, thinking on how I want to do this, doing something unique, while keeping the stock G5 rear.....original intent was to keep fanholes, cut out G5 ports, and replace it with my own io plate.....but.....won't that distract from one of my goals, to keep case (on the exterior at least) as close to stock as possible?

Well, I might still go the io plate route, but, am considering a different approach - more difficult, but, end result would be more aesthetic......why don't I jump onto my Protel software, and design a pcb, double layer, buy new usb/ps2/optical audio etc ports from one of the many such distributors, remove the old ports from the motherboard......and then solder new ports onto the newly designed pcb, so that the io ports will now be removed from the mobo, relocated to the new pcb, 2 or 3 very small screws bolting this to the back of the G5 case, and you will never be able to tell the difference?

New pcb will have ide-like cable connecting it to the connections on the motherboard....at the same time, I will do away with the legacy parallel- and serial-, and analog audio ports.....

I will have 4x usb2, 1x firewire, 1 x digital co-ax audio, 1x digital optical audio, 1x ps2 mouse and 1x ps2 k/b...

What you guys reckon? I know it's overkill, but it would really ook so nice? Indeed very unique idea, I can only recall maybe once before on a mod where I saw the ports removed from a mobo, but never onto a purposely designed rear io plate.....

Let me know if it sound ok'ish or not....

Just to refresh everyone with what I have in mind.....or as close to this as possible...this is why I have to go for a new rad frown Mine is slightly to tall to fit between psu, and top baffle plate (the one where harddrives/optical drive mount onto)

This rad is 313mm tall, the one I will be getting now is only 277mm tall - that would give me the room I need....hehe - but, let me go think about this, and see exactly what I want to acheive....this step is quite important in the overall scheme of things, so please bear with me....

This is what I want to to have at the end of the day....;)

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:09 AM

I had to secure the mobo tray with the correct distance from the case shell, so that, when using standard length brass mobo standoffs, the cards would socket firmly into pci/pci-express slots, and still be able to but against pci-slot io plate, so it can be secured with a screw....

So, I used these little spacers......

and here....(the stainless nuts with washers....)

Then I had to countersunk the 5 little 3.5mm holes......

a little cloe-up shot....

to accept the very nice 3mm allencap stainless screws, like so.....

Ok, I also got myself some very decent aluminium Coolermaster 120mm fans to go with the theme, that will push air through the rad....yes, push smile not pull, in this case, as I am after a specific aesthetic result...for the purists.....rofl....

I got 4x 80mm at the same time, also Coolermast alu's, but unfortunately the rear fans on Apple G5 is 92mm....well, the hunt's on...

Will post some shots of the fans later, I also have to get my hands on another radiator, slightly lower than the current Coolwave at 313mm..... I need max a 290mm high unit....something like the new Black Ice 240 Gt or similar...

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:10 AM

the Scythe fans featured earlier were donated to my PC70 mod, so I had to get new fans for this babe....well, finally found something I thought would complement this mod.....

4x 80mm Coolermaster alu fans, yes, real aluminium housings, and 2x 120mm units.....I will only use 2x 120mm, and 2x 80mm for this mod.....it will all become clear a little later, but real simple anyways....

Here is a shot of the 80mm specs....

and the same for the 120mmm unit...notice the rather hefty 12W power consumption for the 120mm fan....1A @ 12V...a bit rough for the 57cfm airvolume it delivers......

Here you can see the nice finish on the fan body, and this is what made me realize how well the will fit in with the G5 casemod theme....perfect color!

Here are a few sots showing front and back of 80mm vs 120mm, and size difference...boring, I know, but I just luv these fans...so pretty...

and

Here is a nice review should you guys be interested using these.....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:11 AM

Ok, a small update....my new GT 240 Black Ice rad has arrived from David and Karma's, so finally hardware needed for this mod complete, except psu mod kit, and extra Tygon tubing....

Not a problem now, I can do a lot before that's needed.

Here you can see a pic of the size diff between Coolwave 2x120, and BI GT240.....

Will the thinner rad be less effective in this setup than the thicker Coolwave....well, I don't think so, and here is why.....look at the fin density of new rad, vs Coolwave.....

Here's a side on comparo between the new (right) and old (left) rads....

the hight difference is what makes it fit in here so nicely....exactly what I wanted to start off with, so I can stick to original goals.......

Here is another angle.....and from this shot you can form an idea of what I want to acheive, if you think back to original layout of G5 Powermac setup....so, I will have some kind of mobo-cover running from rad all the way to the back of the case, aluminium of course.....will finalize details, but the idea is there...

You guys like or not? And yes, I believe I will not loose more than 1-2 deg c compared to the old rad, but gain quite a lot in functionality and aesthetics....

Nice smile

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:12 AM

Another small update....fitting the fans to the rad....fans are 38mm thick, rad 30mm....

This is what the case looks like from the front, you might be just able to spot the fans behind the grill, in real life it looks extremely good with fand around 11cm away from front grill...just the look I was after...

And here's the same, fitted to the case....

And another angle, showcasing how nice the fans blend in with case color....

I have used 4 rubber feet, 2x top, 2x bottom to mount rad, tomorrow I will make use of aluminium angle to mount rad to rear mobo tray....going to look pro...

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:13 AM

Original apple G5

=

My Plan

Baffle has some deflectors inside, to direct airflow, and this is a litle in the way - I do not have to use baffle, but would like to wink

See here....

and here.....

and here....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:14 AM

Ok, a little planning from now onwards....

I need to devise a motherbaord cover plate, that would be functional, allowing a lot of airflow across all components, eg motherboard capacitors, but more so, across SLi GFX card's ramsinks.

CPU and GFX's will be watercooled, so it's essential to have some airflow across various components that would naturally be cooled by airstream from the aircooled heatsinks.

With this in mind, I will channel bottom fan from rad across memory, and cpu area caps on motherboard, and the top fan towards the 2x 7800GTX gfx cards.

At the rear I will exhaust via 2x 92mm fans, via the std G5 exhaust ports.

Here is a template for the front coverplate......

from a slightly different angle....

short update to follow

Ok, so this part will fit on top of the sidepanel in the shots above.....

Like so....don't worry if it doesn't make sense, when it is fitted together you will see what I intend....

After completion, it will look like this.....

Then, the top 120mm rad fan will allow airflow across gfx like shown in blue, while the pink arrows represent the airflow into the channeled area, where cpu and ram etc are located.

The hole shown on top for the fan will actually be a square one, where I will fit a very neat AC Ryan single 120mm square fangrill...

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:14 AM

Finally, it should look like this template, with a slight difference where the cpu heatsink will be replaced by Swiftech Storm cpu waterblock....

and a close-up shot, bear in mind I still have to cut-out the hole where the AC Ryan radgrill will fit to allow airflow from rad to gfx cards.

Template is of 1mm carton, mobo cover will be made from 1.6mm aluminium plate, same as what I have used as mobo mounting tray....should look decent, with a nice logo on the sidecover facing you, similar as G5 cpu covers, but with neat AMD logo.

This is the fangrill I will use venting from top radiator fan onto graphics cards.....should look decent.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:15 AM

Ok Boys and Girls,
Done a little bit of work again, all 2 hours worth of it .... finally got into making the bottom cover plate for the PSU, because the std version looks like bleh....

and a close-up shot....

Now, one of my main goals was to replicate the original G5 interior, and make some improvements if I could.....so I came up with this....

and a different angle over here......

and a close-up, to show how well the bottom plate fits with the rear motherboard tray......

Now, here is a few shots with psu cover in place, but also with the side plexi baffle-tray fitted.....

and another one here.....

Now, basically the photo Ettienne posted earlier of the G5 at the expo made my mind up for me....I will use the G5 plexi baffle-tray in my setup too....I will move rad a little forward towards the front of the case, and that will allow plexi baffle to fit without problems.

Then, a small re-design of my motherboard ducting system, to fit in with the groove in the plexi baffle, and it should look stunning.....at least as good as intended, and very close to the original....

Put it this way, die-hard Mac buffs will have a look at this, and realize something is not exactly 100% kosher with this "G5 PowerMac" - until they delve under the hood, and make the shocking discovery...rofl....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:16 AM

Another shot of the cover in place, angled from above, to give you a better idea.....soz, forgot to post this one earlier....

Anyway, now with the psu cover finished, I need to secure it somehow....and fortunately, there were these 2 holes where Apple had their cover plate secured to.....
see the 2 areas with blue circles....all the other holes are to tigthen the psu lid down to the psu casing...

after very careful and meticulous measurements, to keep everything square, and aligned, here is the front in place.....

and the rear, these countersunk allencap screws really make it look neat and pro.....

and here is a view of both, with psu cover plate secured to psu housing....

Of course I will have to remove it again, to mark the 2 areas where the psu cables will come through the lid to supplu gfx, and mobo withjuice, but, rest assured, there will be virtually no cables visible, and just enough to power peripherals anyway....

No excess like with normal psu's, 1x short atx mobo psu cable, 1x cable to power 2 harddrives and optical drive, and 1 to the gfx cards....

It will be absolutely clean smile

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:17 AM

Well, I always wondered what the "inside" of the G5 watercooled looked like.....here's a few shots, not mine, just some I found of the internet, showcasing G5 internals....

You must luv the MCP350 pumps wink

Single cpu with heatpipe cooling underneath cpu - very neat....

a different angle....

The twins....

One  fully assembled cpu, with the other showing the waterblock on top of the cpu die......cpu will fit on top of the block....neat...

And here's the complete watercooling solution.....

and a last one...enjoy....if those little rads can keep a IBM CPu cool, then we are overdoing things a little, aren't we?

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:17 AM

It was my B/day a week ago, and typical MrBean, I did a gift:

From Phillip
To Phillip

Project will go ahead - and it will have 4 years warranty smile

lucky me

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:19 AM

Still need Abit AW9D-Max for this Project, together with 6800Xtreme. With solder iron, I am sure I can turn one of these into the monster my previous Abit Max3 Intel board was....a real killer.

Awaiting arrival of mobo to resellers, as it has been launched by Abit on the 16th of Aug.

So yeah, a short way to go smile but, getting there.

This is one seriously fekkin expensive mod, lemme tell ya... frown

a Small change of scope if you like: I have set my mind on the one board that will do this system justice, the just-announced Abit AW9D Max:

The reason for that being I had great success in the past wiht Abit Max-Series mobos, so much so that I actually owned 3 of them at 1 point in time, 2 of them with the then-famous VTT-Autoregulating vmod.

I am positive this board will be a great board, and if needed, yes, I will apply a few vmods smile no prob

So, this change the hardware portion of this mod dramatically, I never was going to be happy with a 4800+AMD cpu if I could fit a 6800X Conroe in here? Don't you agree? hehe - thought so.

Ram will be these parts here, OCZ Titanium Alpha VX2 PC2-8000 XTC 2Gb, to give me good bandwidth, but, with tight timings. Even though the new Conroes are not benefitting as much from tight latencies as old Netburst cpus, due to large 4M shared cache, it will still give extra few points when chasing records.

What does all this mean for the mod, and one of my main goals, ie not to hack the case to pieces....

Well, I will have to re-adjust my thinking a little, and do away with Apple 600W psu - this will not provide 7950 quad with decent power. So, psu will relocate to the top, ala new Mac Pro style, I will probably use my new 1kw PC Powe&Cooling in here, if this doesn't fit, then the 750W Toughpower must do - should be good, so no problem there.

Harddrives will relocate to the bottom, well-hidden, dont worry, and I have to redo new motherboard mounting tray.

With the std ATX form-factor mobo, I will have to do a little cutting on the back of the case, to mount a new alu IO plate, which I already have. Should look very good, exept that I deviate a little from original intentions of retaining original Apple IO Plate with custom PCB/sockets....

Cannot be helped.

Take note that I will not use complete removeable motherboard tray/IO Plate combo like Lian-Li's, I will only use backplate. Tray will be same as one I made earlier, just covering full-length inside case.

Lot of extra work, but I am looking forward to it.

I have to make these changes to accommodate the new 30" ACD I ordered, I want to game at 2560x1600 native. Hence the new hardware specs.

Will keep you posted, obviously I have to await arrival of new motherboard before I can do much more - at least I will redo new motherboard tray, so it's ready for mobo and IO plate fitment.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:20 AM

My 30" ACD has arrived...

Here is a quick pic, just showing a size comparison next to my 19" HP 1955 LCD, unbelievable.

In the background is my PC70 Lian-Li case, another idea of the size of this 30" monster. Even my wife could not believe it, she says it's as big as our 74cm TV...rofl.

Well, I installed 91.36 drivers, and they cause funny highlights on the display, like pinkish/blue/white pixel lines, so uninstalled, and used 91.31's, which works great.

I have to say, sitting 1m away from the display, you have to literally turn your head side to side to view 2560/1600 goodness. Probably the best money ever spend - yay!

Hehe - going to fit in nicely with my G5 mod, which will ultimately end up being my racing sim setup.

Together with my ECCI 6000 Wheel and Pedals it will really be a high-end setup.

Hey, I have to spoil myself a little, k....hehe

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:20 AM

Hello Everyone,
Yes, it's update time, and although not a huge update, it is one that took a lot of thinking, and careful planning, measurement, and some dremelling and filing action.

What was I busy with, well.....interesting...remember this shot I posted at the beginning of this project:

I was going to use the eVGA Micro ATX board with this case, but since then, I managed to get a few Conroe cpus, and even more motherboards. I decided to cancel the eVGA Micro ATX AMD 64 4800 setup, and rather make this a decent gaming rig by mounting the Asus P5W DH Deluxe board in this case, together with the X6800 cpu of mine.

Well, obviously one of my goals was to try and keep the back of the G5 original, as in above photo, but that would have only worked with 4-slot micro-atx board.

So, I had to make a plan, and in the end, the final result came out very well, near-factory look, or maybe even better than factor look. By making new backplate/IO-plate, I can of course now mount any ATX motherboard in future, and not limit myself to micr-atx only smile

So, this is what I started of with, a 199mm x 391mm aluminium, this was cut from one of my spare Lian-Li PC70 sidepanels.

This is what I want to do away with, in 2 steps, I need 2 steps to make accurate markings on the new donor i/o-plate.....

and, after some high-speed dremel work, I end up wityh this - the top piece is original G5 i/o-plate, and the bottom one I removed from a cheapish alu case - I got the case specifically for this i/o-plate, as I did not want the bigger and bulkier Lian-Li PC65 unit.....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:21 AM

This is the phase1 cutout complete....

After some measurements and markings, I could start on the new backplate....

And here's the cutout finished, before filing.....

a bit of filing, and some more markings, and drilling, we end up with this - not complete yet, still a few more things to do, but good enough for now....

from the backside with the i/o-plate fitted, to see what it will look like....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:22 AM

Not bad at all, looking much better than I anticipated....

Let me know what you guys think so far....

Here is shot showing how it looks from an angle....

and another angled shot....

and one from dead-on, look at how well it fits in between 2 sidepanels - a near seamless fit, to be honest - lots of carefult filing on this one....

With this part complete, it is onto the 2nd part of the rear cutout.......

Complete, like this......

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:23 AM

I wanted to retain the very neat G5 sidepanel latch, and will need to markout and cut like this.....

to give us a final result like this.....

and here.....

and a final shot for now, from directly behind.....

The pics don't do it justice, it looks factory wink

Don't worry about PSU relocation (used to be G5 600W unit in bottom of case), I found a very decent pozzie for it, without doing the nasty as all the other G5 modders out there did.

As mentioned a while back, my plan would be to replicate G5 as much as I can, but the case must be easy to work in, must be upgradeable, etc.....and watercooled of course smile

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:24 AM

Original back:

New back:

The more I look at it the better it looks.....my Wife also said she like the new back better than the original.

The latch pooks weird only on the photos, in real life it looks like factory job. Even the colors are the same as new i/o-plate, but for some reason camera makes it appear different....

Will get some close-ups of latch-area later, and post it.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: "1st post"
Biggest goal, and challenge, would be NOT to butcher the rear of the G5 case, as I have seen done on each and every X86 conversion so far. I want a clean, basic look, without hacking everything to bits. If I have to mod the std rear, which ultimately I think I will have to, I want to make it neat, factory-like, and it must enhance the rear of the case, not bolz it up

As you guys can see, I had to eventually do the rear, and as stated earlier, if I have to cut the rear of the G5, I would like to keep up with Apple's intention, ie decent quality, and appearance.

I hope I have succeeded in this, and I will keep you guys posted of future updates to this mod. I have all hardware to complete, maybe need another DDC Plus pump, and 2x BI GT 120x120mm rads, as I would like to keep waterloops for X6800 and 7950 seperate, so maybe another visit to David and Karma's in order.

Jeesh, it would have been nice to have some sponsors, as this mod sucks money big time!!

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
MrBean

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:26 AM

I have designed a new mobo tray to go inside, to fit better with the rear panel I made, and to clean up the inside of the case even better than either Apple's original intention, and my 1st mobo tray creation.

So, herewith the outline of the new tray, I am off to go and do the dremel/filing/drilling etc dirty deed on the unsuspectiing piece of aluminium.

Well, I am quite happy that 1x Lian-Li PC70 sidecover yielded both the new rear i/o-plate, and motherboard tray. Good utilization of the sidecover wink

Check back later, when I have finished the work on new mobo tray.

Herewith another small update - I have completed the new motherboard tray, well, 99% that is - still need to drill and tap holes for new standoffs....

This is the old tray, see the areas marked in red, where the tray stopped short of the sides of the case, not covering the screws etc.....it looked a little non-pro.....

So, I made a new tray, and extended the sides, see blue areas.....it now goes side-side, barely 0.5mm each side from the case - exact;ly what I was looking for, and I anyway had to extend the side on the i/o-plate side, as I need to bolt i/o-plate into the floor of the new mobo tray, to better secure it.

Took me about 2 hours start to completion, a lot easier than rear i/o-plate I made yesterday.

Here is another shot of the tray, somehow my camera struggles to capture aluminium today...pics seems a little fuzzy, soz....

This cutout will be to clear the G5 front power module.......it has a standoff that is in the way, but necessary, so I needed to do this...

and this one is for the optical drive module, also no way around this one....

That's it for today folks, will keep you posted. Now I can measure holes for motherboard, and get that mounted.

Then smooth-sailing from thereon in smile

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:27 AM

Picked up some additional hardware....

a New Notrhbridge cooler to replace heatpipe on Asus board, which won't work in the reverse installation.....

and a close-up shot - it really is a monster copper unit....

My 2x new Seagate 320gig drives- I was after 2x Raptor 150gig drives, but no stock, and I was not willing to wait, so the Seagates it is....Sata II anyway fast enough in Raid 0 to get close to the Raptor's Sata 1 in Raid 0.

And this is where I will mount them in the case, electronics facing up......here it is wrong way, just imagine flipped over.....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:29 AM

I will make a new bottom plate, as this one is to short, went with my 1st iteration mobo tray, so I will make a new tray, picked up additional alu sheeting this afternoon.....

so, how will I cool this harddrives - well, semi-passive......with 2x cutouts in bottom plate to fit these grillz....

Air will be flowing from the rad, ontop of the floorplate - rad will be horizontal...and fan at rear - 1x 120mm mounted in the rear i/o-plate - will scavenge hot air from rad......

At the same time this moving air will create small vacuum at the area immediately below the rillz, causing air movement over harddrives.....which will keep them happy - and remove the need for additional cooling fans.

Maybe this will explain above better:

Here is the 2x rads I will be using, one for cpu, other for gfx - or maybe I'll use 2x 120mm Coolwave monster I have, and a single loop. I will play to see which config I want to use, I can go either way, as I have enough hardware....

Yesterdays shots were a bit fuzzy, so I took new ones today, after charging camera batteries - they were really flat, and may have caused fuzzy pics - soz about that.

Here is a nice angled shot of cutout at rear, and new mobo tray I made, showing how well it fit into the case....

This areas here, marked in red circles - there will be a total of 4, equi-spaced top to bottom of motherboard tray......

will match to 4 similar holes on the bottom of the i/o-plate, where it mates with motherboard tray, and I will bolt that to the i/o-plate with countersunk allencap screws....this will make it all the more sturdy, and top-quality....pop-rivets on i/o-plate was just for measurement purposes, I will replace them with same stainless countersunk allencap screws - take note this plate is not finished, just raw presentation - need to brush it to obtain same look as rest of alu panels.

Here is a few shots to show the mating of surfaces.......or meshing of corners etc...whichever way you want to call it....

Cutouts for the front panel switch......

and above to fit underneath optical drive mechanism....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:32 AM

the top rear below where PSU will be located.....

and a clear shot of the new backplate - previous one was a bit unclear....

I will keep you guys posted, will do some big updates on the weekend again.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Here is the new motherboard bottom tray, or at least the measurements done - this time the donor is a PC65 Lian-Li side panel, PcCasegear ran out of stock on the PC70 ones.....

This one is wide enough with 1mm to spare smile Close call, but it has to be 461mm long to match motherboard tray length, which fits exactly the depth of the G5 case.

If I have time in the week, I'll cut and file this one, going to be a quickie, in the meantime I will start marking motherboard mounting holes on mobo tray, and a few other odds and ends.

Still a way to go, but it's getting there wink

I have decided to fit a nice big 120mm Coolermaster Aluminium fan to the rear, instead of 2x 80mm screamers - reason is for much better airflow at lower soundlevels the 120mm vs 2x80mm can provide.

And, it will go well with the same 2x 120mm aluminium fans I will fit to the rad(s).....

Here is the outline marked on the backpanel, and 4x 4mm holes drilled:

From the other side....

To make sure everything fits together - hehe, don't worry, I took careful measurements....

Even the original Apple G5 baffle tray still goes on, without touching the fan - but, about 1/4mm gap smile

And here's a close-up with the baffle fitted, to show the minute gap.

Take note, I still have to do the fanhole, but havent decided on a std round hole with grill - oh no, not that - or some nice custom hole to fit the theme of the mod...will still make up my mind on that one - for now the fan is in position, and fits where it's supposed to!

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:34 AM

I have finished the bottom tray, need to secure it to the motherboard tray, but here are a few shots to show how it fits into the scheme of things....

Sideshot......

Reaching all the way to the front of the case, exact same length as the motherboard tray.....

a Cutout to accommodate the rear i/o-port plate....

and showing it goes all the way to the back too....

Here's a few shots of one harddrive, and some heatsinks I picked up this afternoon - I got 4, some extras are always welcome.

Will consider carefully how these will fit into the mod, especially wrt the harddrives, but they will be used wink

another one...

and another one....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:35 AM

Got some work done again tonight, not to much, but still important stuff. What I am busy with is fitting the sheet panels to the inside of the case, and securing them to each other, with countersunk allencap screws.

Going to look very neat, I must add smile

First I have to figure out a way how to secure motherboard tray to bottom tray, on the top of the case it will be secure like this, to original G5 threaded inserts....in total there are 5 screws on tiop securing motherboard tray to side of G5 panel....

and these two here, in the middle......to the right there's another 2....but you get the idea....

Well, at the bottom it's a different story, as there are no threaded inserts I wanted to use, they were staggered, and not what I had in mind anyway....

So, I came up with this idea....angle iron would do a good job of at least bolting bottom- and motherboard trays together.....

Mark and drill angle iron, and then mark, drill and countersunk holes in mobo tray.....like so....

And do the same for the bottom tray, take note the holes in that tray are not countersunk yet, will do that the weekend....

and then they fit together like this.....

and over here.....

and here......

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:36 AM

and another one from this angle.....

and here, to give you a good idea.....

To get it inside the case, undo the 2 panels from each other, and 1st install the motherboard tray......

and then bolt the bottom tray down.....

for a very decent, and modular effect - no pop-rivets in this one.....

This is testfit only, the other side of the bottom tray needs to be secured as well, but I have a plan for that too. Remember the harddrives will go under there too..... wink

Finally, a photo of the ready-to-go backplate, all cleaned up, holes countersunk, deburred etc....all panels will get this treatment.

Let me know what you guys think.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 05:37 AM

I decided to not use the old cheapie I/O-Plate, but rather gutted one from an old Lian-Li PC70 spare case I had lying around....

On the left is old plate, on the right new....

New one the top one here......looking more quality than old unit, and made of substantially thicker aluminium.....

So that meant I had to make a new backplate, as mounting holes do not line up - I did not expect them to either....

New backplate on the right....

Same here.....

and here are the old Back-I/O plates left, and new right.

Take note I still have to drill mounting holes etc....but there are also some very small cosmetic improvements on new plate....

Spot them if you can....

The pc70 i/o-plate have an extra tab, in the right pic, vs old i/o-plate on the left....

This will add rigidity to the backplate setup.....

Then, the small cosmetics I was refering to.....

I made all corners on the new plate round, to blend in better.....old plate on the left had square corners, and some round ones too....new one looks much better in real life.

Ok, here it will be more clear.....the 1st shot is the old i/o-plate cutout....

and this one is the new one, with more rounded corners, which imho looks a lot neater.

The edges are supersmooth, it's the pics that are saved as jpegs which loose some resolution.....that's why funny edges.....

Posted by: maestro

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 09:42 AM

Nice work.  That is how every back panel should be done. wink
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 01:28 PM

that's pretty awesome work you've got there.  That'll be an awesome case when its done.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/29/06 04:36 PM

Thanx for the replies guys.

I will keep this log up to date, this progress is up to current.

Keep checking back.

wink

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/30/06 01:49 AM

Ok, an update:

Reserved a few hours today to fit backplate to G5 case, and also securing Lian-Li I/O_plate to the backplate, as well as the motherboard tray.

Herewith some photos of my work.

First needed to accurately mark and drill holes in new backplate - accuracy is essential...here the plate is fitted (temporary), and looking good.

Then I marked and drilled holes in new backplate, to mount I/O-plate....

and here a view from the "inside".....

I wanted to secure the I/O-plate to the motherboard tray too, to add rigidity to overall rear section, so I drill these holes into motherboard tray....they go through the side of the I/O-plate, right throught he motherboard tray incase you wondered...

Then they get tapped in the motherboard tray, with 3mm 0.5 metric thread to receive std metric 3mm allencap screws.

and here is another shot showing the same..

Here it is mounted, with bolts screwed into motherboard tray....

another shot showing the rear....

Here's another 1, with screws highlighted...

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/30/06 01:51 AM

Area marked show how motherboard tray extends right under the I/O-plate to the rear-wall of the case....

Another shot showing the inside rear - came very neat...

Well, this area here is not complete - this is a tab which is part of the backplate of the priginal PC70 case, so when I removed the I/I-plate, the tab stayed on the backplate....

this is the area of concern....

Another angle.....

and viewed from the inside, which will look incomplete if left like this....

So, what to do?

Well, with all the sidepanels I have been hacking to bits to do this mod, I was bound to have some off-cut I could use as a "donor"

Cut to size, in each raw state....

and after intricate measuring, filing, fitting, more filing, I eventually came up with this.....

and fitting it here, securing with 1 bolt, for now....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/30/06 01:51 AM

looking very good here.....

and a better idea of complete rear.....inside shot....

Another one with all bolts in place....

One shot hre showing rear semi-complete - I still have to mark out and drill/cut holes/blowhole for 120mm rear fan.....that will happen soon - not a priority at this point in time, as tomorrow I will fit motherboard, drill and tap holes for standoffs, and getting board aligned to testfit cards....

One small step at a time, but I'm getting closer and closer smile

and here is a closeup of the latch area, someone mentioned it looked weird......

not at all......

Posted by: zenstate

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/30/06 06:52 AM

this is pretty cool but I like the stock look better.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 09/30/06 07:41 AM

Originally Posted By: "Zenstate"
this is pretty cool but I like the stock look better.

Which is fair wink I could not make this system this powerful with keeping the rear stock, I wanted to, but then I'd limit myself in choice of motherboards....had to go this route, and this was a decision not lightly made, trust me.

a Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...hehe...

At the end of the day, you can't please everyone, as each person has individual tastes....and likes and dislikes...so, no problem.

Thanx for the feedback...

Anyway...a last update for today...

Motherboard all lined up, and fitted....

From the rear - take note no port-plate fitted, this is just prelim....

From the side....

And a close-up shot of the Asus WS-Pro workstation board I picked for this mod, it allows easy overclocking, and you can also note the X6800 Conroe fan peeking at you.

Of course it will be watercooled, but I need to test the wiring/power switch etc before I dunk water on it.....

Nice...making progress.....

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 10/01/06 01:27 AM

a Small update....Finally managed getting around measuring harddrive hole centers, and marking them where they must go....

and here....

and another one from the inside...

And then bolting the 2x Seagate 320Gb's into place.....fitting like a hand in a glove wink

Showing that I am not cheating, they are really bolted down...

and over here, an inside shot....

And, I made some temporary standoffs to correctly space the bottom plate from the floor.....and bring it inlione with angled mounting plate on motherboard tray....

These are just temporary, some hollow alu tubing, in which I pressed some 5mm stainless nuts....

I will machine 4 new ones, 35mm high, x 20mm dia. Sturdy mounting posts they would be...

and a close-up shot, showing them a little better....

Once these are complete, the bulk of my sheetmetal work is complete, I need to machine some receptor-slots on the motherboard tray for the bottom of the pci-cards's brackets, and then slots for the atapi-ide as well as SATA and ATX power cables....

This won't take much time, then assembly can begin, hopefully next weekend.

Still need to make a mod to the area where the psu will be located, which will be at the normal place for a conventional pc, top-back, or in this case where original G5 harddrives were located.

Let me know what you guys think so far.

On a side note.....the Harddrives won't overheat, I will be fitting white thermal-sheeting underneath, so all the heat get's dumped to the alu chassis. Will work 100%, I have used this method before in my 1st Vapo-Li project, with Maxtor Slimline drives, and those things survived, I still have both running today - and it's been a few years wink

Kind regards,
Beanie.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 10/01/06 05:18 PM

Very nice, Mr. Bean! I'm looking forward to the end result.  smile

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 02/23/07 12:33 AM

a Small update - been very busy at work, travelling abroad, but, getting something done at least smile

As mentioned earlier, I am using a standard ATX PSU in this case, it will be my PC Power&Cooling 1KW Quad unit. It will be relocated to the top of the case, where the harddrives were positioned, which have since found a new home in the bottom of the case.

Making a cutout in the top to allow the psu fan to breathe, left me with this - quite fugly, and not in sync with my end goal - take note the following few shots are with the case upside down......

After a few careful measurements, some cutting, and filing, I re-used one of my 1st bottom plates, which is now in a new role as a psu cover plate:

Once mounted, it looks like this:

nice and cosy fit all around:

Another one:

and a last one:

Now, one of my original goals were to re-use the original Apple G5 AirBaffle, so I need to fit it's latch again....in the original position....

After some careful measurements, and marking it out on the psu cover plate, it will go here:

And then onto some drilling, jig-sawing, and careful filing.....this is the end result.....

And here we have the psu cover plate located over the latch, perfect fit!

And the next 2 shots of the AirBaffle in position, and locked:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/M...fle_fitted2.jpg[/img]

Much better, plan is coming together nicely.

Now, of course I will have to make some breathing holes for the PSU intake fan again, so I am considering using 1 of these for the top cover plate, underneath the PSU:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/M..._fan_cover1.jpg[/img]

and a close-up shot:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/M..._fan_cover2.jpg[/img]

This should go nicely with my idea of having 2 similar ones above the harddrives mounted underneath the floorplate, to allow breathing/airflow over them.

Let me know what you think so far.

Next up is the mounting brackets of the 2 seperate radiators. Will keep you posted.

Br,
Beanie.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 02/23/07 03:14 PM

Wow, very nice Beanie. I've been wondering where you've been! The case work is very good. Having worked with a G5 case, I know exactly what you're up against.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 02/23/07 07:18 PM

Hey Guys,
Thanx for the feedback - appreciated smile

I haven't spent to many hours on it, maybe 60 or so in total labor.....

Not to bad considering everything internal is build from scratch.

@ Shadowboxer47: Been so busy with at work, doing a lot of international travelling, so time was very limited this last few months - will be a little more relaxed from hereon in, so I should make good progress the next few weeks.

Will keep you guys posted.

Br,
Beanie
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 02/25/07 07:11 PM

I have to say from a perspective view of some one that has built a lot of stuff out of metal that is the best work I have seen go through on a computer case. You could of bought one of the look alike cases but you took a real G5 case and made it work and look like it was made for a ATX style motherboard. You have me beaten by a long shot on all of my case builds.

The last case I built was a full tower case with drive cages from a old AT tower case and a old mid size ATX case and it looks stock but yours is by far better. Keep up the good work.

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 02/26/07 12:56 AM

@ TCPMeta: Thanx for the kind words.....I am having fun with this case, that is why I am taking my time too - not rushing it, just thinking through the steps, and the plans a little - it is a lot of work to redo everything smile

But, I will keep you guys posted, and let's hope the end result will be worthy...

Take care all,
Beanie.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 02/26/07 06:05 AM

hope someone already told you about the annual mod challenge thats coming up in august.  This looks like a great entry.
Posted by: maestro

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 02/26/07 10:00 AM

Where are the pics?  Not showing up here under Firefox's new update today. >:D
Posted by: gthicjohn

Re: How to really Mod a G5 - my implementation - 11/20/07 11:54 AM

This is one of the better X86 case mods ive seen on a G5