Turning a imac g4 into a intel imac please elp

Posted by: me2621a

Turning a imac g4 into a intel imac please elp - 08/16/06 04:29 PM

i have a imac g4 20 ich 1.25 model and love it the screen is perfect and it is just a great computer.

i also have a intel mac mini that i upgraded to a 2.16 GHz corduo and it is so much fasster(dah)
anyway i was thinking is there any way to maybe remove the procesore and logic board of the imac g4 ans hook the mac mini into it (with minimal exsterior mods. so i was thinking buy a new desktop hard disk (can somone tell me what type of disk the mini uses.) remove the slotloading tray and the minis built in hard disk. place the logic board into the imac and conect the imacs disk drive into (or replace the imacs disk drive if its no compatable with the mini) the only things that i am unsure about is is there a way to hook the screen of the imac into the mini and how do i set up the ports
ans in general is it possible and what i need to buy.
Posted by: bigredgpk

Re: Turning a imac g4 into a intel imac please elp - 08/20/06 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: "me2621a "

i have a imac g4 20 ich 1.25 model and love it the screen is perfect and it is just a great computer.

i also have a intel mac mini that i upgraded to a 2.16 GHz corduo and it is so much fasster(dah)
anyway i was thinking is there any way to maybe remove the procesore and logic board of the imac g4 ans hook the mac mini into it (with minimal exsterior mods. so i was thinking buy a new desktop hard disk (can somone tell me what type of disk the mini uses.)

The mac mini uses a SATA drive. the laptop and desktop SATA drives use the same data connector but you'll need to find something to power the desktop hdd (the mini power won't be enought.
Originally Posted By: "me2621a "
remove the slotloading tray and the minis built in hard disk. place the logic board into the imac and conect the imacs disk drive into (or replace the imacs disk drive if its no compatable with the mini) the only things that i am unsure about is is there a way to hook the screen of the imac into the mini and how do i set up the ports
ans in general is it possible and what i need to buy.

this is quite a project, good luck with it.

Timmay
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Turning a imac g4 into a intel imac please elp - 08/30/06 02:28 PM

The iMac optical drive can be plugged into the mini via an adaptor available cheap on eBay. You could upgrade the drive itself to a newer DVR-111 or equivalent. A SATA desktop drive would as mentioned go straight on but might need power from elsewhere. You'll have no trouble fitting it all in there, the real problem as ever will be the LCD. Basically makes the whole project unworkable I'm afraid.