iBook G4 top case problem

Posted by: Syd21

iBook G4 top case problem - 07/17/06 07:59 PM

I'm fairly new to Mac and also pretty new to modding, especially things expensive and important such as a computer. I decided to try to change the color of the apple light behind the top of the display case. Once I had taken it apart and inserted my desired color, I couldn't manage to snap the case back onto the display again. It looks to me there is one flange at the bottom and one flange at the top (both in the middle-ish) and the just refuse to go back. Anybody got any special techniques to put this back together?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

iBook G4 top case problem - 07/17/06 11:29 PM

Hmmm. These usually go back on with minimal fuss. Take it off again, then with the screen upright 'hang' the back panel over the top edge and press down the sides and then along the bottom. Make sure none of the metal shield gets caught at the bottom. Sometimes happens.

iBook G4 top case problem - 07/18/06 09:54 AM

Oops! I just realized this thread is in the wrong section. Sorry about that; I was tired from screwing around with this thing. I'll give that idea a shot as soon as I can get my hex wrench back. When you say to "hang" the panel on, what's to say the flanges go back into place instead of just resting on the metal LCD cover?

iBook G4 top case problem - 07/18/06 03:20 PM

By 'hang' I mean set the iBook down with its screen bolt upright, lower the top edge of the screen case onto the top edge of the LCD frame, check its all lined up nicely, let it hang, then squeeze down the sides and along the bottom. It should pop right back on. Occasionally the metal shielding will attempt to protrude throuogh the bottom. Just poke it back in if that happens.

iBook G4 top case problem - 07/18/06 06:30 PM

Hey I took it apart and put it back trying what you said and the laptop seems to close much better now and the case lines up with the rest of the display again. I guess the problem is fixed! Thanks a lot for your help and sorry again for being an idiot and posting in the wrong place. :p

iBook G4 top case problem - 07/18/06 11:33 PM

Its funny, you forget how fiddly these machines are before you have taken dozens of them to bits. A colleague once asked me if an hour was enough time to swap a logic board in an iBook. I said yes. It took him closer to three hours.

I probably should have made my instructions clearer in the first place.