Sawtooth case mod.

Posted by: TCPMeta

Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 04:49 AM

I have been thinking about turning my sawtooth case into a clear case. Yet if I do this then i'll have to cut up the case even more so I can beable to show off the hardware. Think it's worth it? Because I want to cram a lot of blue lights and show off the soon to be water cooling system. Heres a few ideas if I make the case clear.

Replace the 120mm fan with a blue LED 120mm fan and add a wicked fan grill.
Add some blue El-wire around the case's frame.
Replace all of the molex power connecters with blue LED colored ones.
Posted by: Antonio

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 06:09 AM

You're speaking of cutting out the metal alongside the optical drive bay and power supply.
I don't see any real issues there, as both bolt to the front/ back of the case and the... umm... shelf/ rack, for lack of a better term.
Just remember to remove both the power supply and optical drive bay to make your job easier. Also remember those will obscure much of the view... as will the fan and its shield, though you might remove a bit of that shielding and you already mentioned replacing that fan with a clear lit one.

Adding a lit fan to the CPU heatsink might add a nice effect.

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2006/01/23 14:11

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 07:12 AM

Well I was planing to get rid of the middle shelf so it will be easyer to add the water cooling. I already have to chop out the zip drive bay for the water cooling kit. If I make the case clear I'll cut around the mounts for the 120mm fan rack. Also on the otherside of the case behind the logicboard i'm going to have a logo made in el-wire or something.

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 08:23 AM

I see smile

You'll still want to leave enough to support the underside of your power supply, unless you have a replacement of some sort in mind already.

How far are you overclocking the CPU for the water-cooling mod?

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 05:17 PM

Well I have replaced the power supply with a 350watt ATX power supply that is much much lighter then the stock 200watt power supply.

I bought a 450MHz CPU and also have completed the dip switch mod that lets you change the FSB to 120MHz. I only tryed it once and made the CPU hot so the water cooling will do just fine. When it's kicked to 120MHz for the FSB it overclocks the CPU to 510MHz.

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 06:46 PM

Good deal. Backup regularly if you run that board at 120mhz.
Sawtooth FSBs don't do well overclocked.
If you can get your hands on a Gigabit Ethernet logic board, those do well at 133mhz... or at least the two I've had do. Not at 120mhz, though, as I've seen nothing but data corruption issues at that setting, and heard the same from friends who've run theirs' at 120.
I'm guessing it's because the 120mhz setting alters (slightly downclocks) the speed of the PCI and AGP buses, whereas the 133 setting only affects the bus.
The PCI and AGP buses should be able to run at the lowered speeds, but the overall system doesn't seem to handle it well.

I mention this because the GE and Sawtooths are similar, but the GE has improvements which enable it to better handle overclocking, whereas I've seldom heard of a Sawtooth bus running very long at all above 100mhz.

Anyhow, you've installed a switch, so if it doesn't work out, you can go back to 100mhz with little fuss. I just removed resistors R434 and R435 and left it at that. Oh, and hit the CUDA switch. I always do that... it may not be necessary, but is part of my procedure, anyhow.

Happy hacking.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 06:59 PM

Your right Antonio, oc'ing the bus causes problems in many areas of the board. I dont recommend oc'ing the bus on any mac. The MDD early models are probably the best for that.
I suggest sticking with the cpu oc. In order to keep the cpu stable at 500-550, you should turn the voltage up a notch. Cant wait to see it.
-maestro

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 07:00 PM

BTW, do you have use of all your RAM slots at 120mhz?

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/23/06 07:11 PM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Your right Antonio, oc'ing the bus causes problems in many areas of the board. I dont recommend oc'ing the bus on any mac. The MDD early models are probably the best for that.
I suggest sticking with the cpu oc. In order to keep the cpu stable at 500-550, you should turn the voltage up a notch. Cant wait to see it.
-maestro

With water cooling and the voltage overclock, he may be able to get 600mhz out of that CPU.

I've had two GE boards at 133mhz, perfectly stable, with all four RAM slots still alive and well.
Tycho thinks I'm blessed. I think I've done EXACTLY the same procedure twice.
I may try it a third time to see if it's more than luck.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/24/06 08:13 AM

600 is possible if he has a decent cpu. Its touch and go. Those processors were pretty well maxed
from Motorola. If you can get a good oc on the cpu and its stable, then you could try the bus oc.
Remember that you need to get faster memory too. PC 133.
-maestro

Re:Sawtooth case mod. - 01/24/06 10:43 AM

I had to remove the 0-ohm resistors on the backside of the logicboard where the dipswitch is installed. I have PC133 memory in the system so when I overclock the FSB it also bumps the speed up to 120MHz.

The system seemed alright when I ran the FSB at 120MHz. As I said before the CPU got a little too hot for my taste so I swicthed it back to 100MHz. I would manualy change the resistors on the CPU it self but I wouldn't want to damage the CPU.