Urber cool B&W

Posted by: TCPMeta

Urber cool B&W - 12/29/05 06:17 PM

I was bored and opened the side of my B&W when it was on. I held my hand near some major parts like the video coard, memory, powersupply and my DVD+RW. Seems to be a bit warm for my taste. I'm going to slim down the case even more like completly taking out the middle shelf
and build some cool boxes out of some foam or cardboard. Also i'm going to fabercate some heatsink of of copper for the memory, chipsets and a HD cooler pad. I will also cram a few extra fans for better air flow and also since i'm taking out the middle shelf I can't have the big 120mm fan mounted and the ribbon cables will be everywhere. That will be fixed with the cooling boxes and i'll make some rounded ribbon cables. This will be easy to do since i've done this in the past with a few OEM PCs that overheated lol.

The spooky thing is my videocard is reading 124*F on the back of the circutboard under the GPU core. If things fell I'll just build a oversized heatsink for the video card so it covers the front and back of the card like most modern video cards.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Urber cool B&W - 12/29/05 09:13 PM

hmm perhaps liquid cool it B)
Posted by: destructospin

Re:Urber cool B&W - 12/30/05 03:22 AM

try some ArcticSilver5 for the video card, as well as a PCI slot exhaust
i'd set up some cooling zones G5 style
use cardboard to go the cheap way, or some acrylic
Posted by: maestro

Re:Urber cool B&W - 12/30/05 08:36 AM

Dont remove any parts in the case. Its set up to cool a certain way and if you remove it, it will actually be detrimental to the cooling. Artic silver is a great idea. You could put a fansink on the gpu and a pci slot fan is a good idea also. I really suggest replacing your main fan with a Panaflo. Ive said that a hundred times before, but that is because they are the best.

-maestro

Re:Urber cool B&W - 12/30/05 11:43 AM

Well I have started on chopping up the B&W case. I have also used Artic silver on everything that has a heatsink. I also bought some heatsinks for the video card's memory chips and have completed the heatsinks for the memory out of copper. The GPU heatsink it comming nicely. The chunk of copper I bought was about 20 bucks but it's a hole chunk. I just need to add a fan mount to it with my drill press and rig a way to mount the heatsink on the GPU. I built a mount to keep the 120mm fan and also I have started on building the coolling boxes. Now if this case only had a extra 5inch drive day. Then I could add water cooling and turn the hestsink on the videocard into a water block and make one for the CPU.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Urber cool B&W - 12/30/05 01:56 PM

that copper block would work better with fins on it.

Re:Urber cool B&W - 12/30/05 05:19 PM

In all with or with out fins it works pretty much the same. Besides some where down the road I may install water cooling. Just have to find a water tank that will fit in the case.