iBook to Atari 810 Conversion

Posted by: fletch

iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 06:18 AM

I've started my iBrick project. Essentially I am putting an iBook 600 G3 into an Atari 810 disk drive case. I'm through much of the initial stages and figured I'd share the progress.

http://homepage.mac.com/pfletch/PhotoAlbum24.html

Pete

Post edited by: fletch, at: 2005/12/03 14:19
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 06:47 AM

Well done!
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 10:11 AM

Beau-tiful! B)
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 10:47 AM

makes me giggle like a Catholic school girl on a Tuesday

nicely done.

macDevaint
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 03:49 PM

marvelous, can we get a mod guide by chance? whistle
Posted by: whitlock

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 04:07 PM

I'm impressed with this project!
Posted by: destructospin

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 10:43 PM

ooooooh im green with envy
like, a nice lime green, not a cheesy forest green like a sedan
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 11:25 PM

Very Very Cool! I am curious as to why the firewire bridge for the hard drive?
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/03/05 11:53 PM

Nice, I like how you used a rulers for supports in the case. All you need now is a bezel for the CD-ROM and it would look tight.

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/04/05 01:17 AM

I chose a firewire bridge for two reasons. First, the iBook's IDE cable was just a tad short to mount the CD drive when the hard disk was attached. So putting the HD on the firewire bus allowed me to eliminate that problem and still keep the HD bootable.

Second, Apple eliminated pin 39's functionality on the IDE bus. Pin 39 is what sends the signal to run the Hard Drive activity light. The Firewire bridge had an led for activity so I was able to solder a wire directly to that for my busy light.

I have ordered one of these to move my ports to the rear of the 810's case. It should finish the unit quite nicely.

Post edited by: fletch, at: 2005/12/04 09:18

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/04/05 02:51 AM

what are you going to do about getting your vga to the rear of the case. they do make 6in vga extenders cablely-mah-things. (and yes children we do use these words in a sentance)

macDevaint
Posted by: destructospin

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/04/05 09:55 AM

deviant, "sentance" is spelled s-e-n-t-e-n-c-e
hehehehe

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/04/05 10:19 AM

man why you always breaking my back about my spelling...? :P

sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence

there teacher i wrote it on the board onehundrendandeight times. can i take the pointy hat off now...?
Posted by: soundmann18

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/04/05 11:35 AM

Of course you can, the question you should be asking is, "May I take the hat off?"
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/04/05 03:26 PM

fletch wrote:
Quote:
I have ordered one of these to move my ports to the rear of the 810's case. It should finish the unit quite nicely. Post edited by: fletch, at: 2005/12/04 09:18

What is that thing? Was it meant specifically for rerouting iBook/PowerBook ports for mods? I can see what seems to be the regular-style power adapter port, so...

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/04/05 06:08 PM

it looks to be a port replicator for a 5.25 drive bay. with what looks to be a a card reader, usb, mic in, headphones out, video out, fire wire, and digital tosslink...? i think i got them right.

so yeah... i'll just be tossing this pointy hat with the rest of my college portfolio

macDeviant

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/07/05 02:56 PM

I've added some rear ports and some stickers to the rear and sides. I still need to work on a video out port, but otherwise I think I am nearly done.

http://homepage.mac.com/pfletch/PhotoAlbum24.html has been updated with new pictures as well.

[img]

Post edited by: fletch, at: 2005/12/07 22:57
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:iBook to Atari 810 Conversion - 12/07/05 03:41 PM

fletch, looks nice, how about a mod guide so your mod doesn't ever get lost with a .mac