beige pm g3 ideas?

Posted by: destructospin

beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/01/05 10:38 AM

im getting a Powermac G3 beige from a friend in a couple of days
and i have no idea what to do about a casing
it's going to be a media center/server
i'd just like some ideas on a case, suggestions, anything!
Posted by: whitlock

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/01/05 11:31 AM

So your beige is going to be a HTPC. Well, you can put it in a case meant for that reason, or build one from scratch using many availalbe case components. I'd suggest browsing through the mod guides for what people have done w/ their Beige G3's and see if anything inspires you.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/01/05 11:33 AM

I agree. First things first. A new case!

Unless you're going for that retro beige look... laugh

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/01/05 02:57 PM

i hate beige boxes with a burning passion
i checked out the g3 case made entirely of plexiglass
im thinking something like that, but maybe tape stencils in
and when the paint dries, remove the stencils and see the innards through the clear
i dont know, im still thinking, thanks guys!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/02/05 01:02 AM

First a note about the case: You don't have to stick to the dimensions of the original one like others have done when re-homing these machines. The PSU is a straight ATX, which helps the slimming process. Check eBay for a 1U ATX server PSU or something.
A mod I have been thinking about, but have no real point in performing, is to swap a desktop optical drive for a notebook (slot load?) one. This should be simple enough, using only the small board that comes on the back of the optical drive in slot-load G3 imacs. I haven't quite worked out the pinouts to provide the power to it yet. Maybe you could try this out. You could probably put two drives in this way, and still take up less room than the old one. That might be handy in a media centre.
You can ditch the floppy drive unless you really need it too. So plenty of space to be saved, allowing a much sleeker case to be used.

You know you'll need Xpostfacto to run anything later than 10.2.8? They max out at 768MB RAM, which should help alot with OS X, but I'd recommend a CPU upgrade. These machines are not quick under X. G4 would be good for media usage. Especially if you want to burn DVDs or anything.

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/02/05 04:46 PM

i just want to use it for watching ripped dvd's and music through my stereo
i dont really have any money to spend
so that makes the mod much harder, but more fun http://www.macmod.com/components/com_simpleboard/emoticons/grin.gif
i dont know, im still trying to get ideas
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/02/05 05:21 PM

i havea beige 333mhz g3... it's running jaguar with 512Megs of RAM, and let me tell you it needs all the ram it can get. do you know if it is the desktop model or the tower... if it's the desktop and you are going to get a different case. i'll take it off your hands

good luck to you.

deviant
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/02/05 08:39 PM

Start looking for a ols stereo or something that would match your entertainment center setup and cram the G3 in it.

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/03/05 04:34 AM

hell yeah!
ill write up a mod guide and try to post it up
as soon as i get all the stuff i need
hehehehhe

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/03/05 07:45 AM

Why don't we do this together? I've been thinking to do it with my B&W since it's the only system I have that has a DVD Decoder. We can compair notes and such and help each other on problems we run into and such.

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/03/05 08:11 AM

TCPmeta, great idea! my AIM is CoconutDaydream, MSN is Destructo.Spin@Hotmail.com
and to the guy who wanted my case, its a desktop, and im picking it up later this week
just contact me and we'll discuss on you getting the case

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/03/05 12:05 PM

My AIM SN is TCPMeta2k1. I'm usealy online in the evenings around 7:30PM to 9:00PM ET.
Posted by: usbcd36

Re:beige pm g3 ideas? - 10/11/05 12:57 PM

Interesting idea, if you're going for a stereo though, think about putting a vacuum fluorescent display in the front and possibly ripping apart a USB gamepad and connecting the buttons to that.