imac--->ATX Questions

Posted by: Bcohen5055

imac--->ATX Questions - 07/18/05 04:50 AM

I am working on re-casing my tray loading imac into a PC case, I have almost finished but have become a little hung up on the wiring. I know there are a few different solutions for powering the computer, and I have decided to go with the pinouts and soft power coverter from http://www.radiomods.co.nz/imactoatxconversion/index.html. I am having a littl problem with the soft power though, I do not know which way to solder the transistor, The 3 pins are collector, base, and emitter. I am guessing this means that the imac line connects the the emmitter, the ground is the base and the PC is the collector. Can anyone on here look at his diagram and tell me if I am right, worong or have no Idea at all what I am doing? Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Post edited by: bcohen5055, at: 2005/07/18 11:51
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:imac--->ATX Questions - 07/18/05 06:15 AM

Assuming both your diagram, and the transistor itself follow the usual conventions, you have an NPN transistor here. The iMac (brown) should connect to the base, the +5V/ATX to the collector, and the ground to the emitter.

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~postpc/BS1/danocourse/CIRCUITS.htm
Posted by: krusher117

Re:imac--->ATX Questions - 07/18/05 06:22 AM

that link is awesome. I've added it to the modding resources section of the Weblinks.
Posted by: Bcohen5055

Re:imac--->ATX Questions - 07/18/05 09:56 AM

Thank you SOOO much, I can now finish the power and work on all the other little extras I want.I will be adding front USB a DVD drive and possibly a few other goodies! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Posted by: krusher117

Re:imac--->ATX Questions - 07/18/05 11:54 AM

cohen, sounds like a mod you should submit to the challenge next month! war I already gave you kudos wink
Posted by: maestro

Re:imac--->ATX Questions - 07/18/05 02:58 PM

Sounds like a tight mod you have going. I look forward to seeing it when its finished. Just remember to BE CREATIVE! I would love to see a mod guide with all of the electirical work, that is something that can be scary to most newb modders. Good luck.
-maestro