New iMacquarium Site

Posted by: AMoses

New iMacquarium Site - 05/01/05 04:24 PM

I have put together a new site with plans and tips for constructing an iMacquarium (iMac + Aquarium) from an original iMac.

Included on the site are take-apart guides and a cutting template for making the aquarium tank.

In addition to the usual modding tips, I tried to make it a reasonably comprehensive site with tips and hints about good iMacquarium pets and taking care of them.

...and then there's my "Monster" mod.

I'd appreciate any constructive criticisms.

http://imacquarium.com

OR

http://imacquarium.cool-mac.com

Post edited by: AMoses, at: 2005/05/09 09:03
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:New iMacquarium Site - 05/01/05 04:37 PM

very nice... I looked at the pics and didn't read cause i have homework but my sugestion if you haven't already, put the filter as a CD drive peice that way you can just slide it out replace it and slide it back in... you may have done this if so sry.... also you should make the little handle on the top removible for adding food (if you haven't already) Looks very nice and clean! Thanks for the post!

-Knife
Posted by: whitlock

Re:New iMacquarium Site - 05/01/05 05:39 PM

Hmmm...I have an extra shell laying around for an Indigo. Unfortunatly I do not have the support that was meant for the CRT, as it's long gone. I'll have to make one I guess. Anyways it would make a great aquarium. Maybe I'll do that once I move.

I love some of the things you have incorperated into this design, such as using the front as a cover that can be removed to feed the fish. I was concerned that the aquarium itself may not lay flat, but I don't know why I did after seeing this case.

You have done a really good job with this mod. If I end up doing it, I'll see if I can't find anything else to add that would improve upon the design.
Posted by: MikeMan

Re:New iMacquarium Site - 05/01/05 06:54 PM

now that bondi shell i have as a trash tin can be reused as a fishtank....

MikeMan
Posted by: AMoses

Re:New iMacquarium Site - 05/02/05 03:16 PM

Thank you for the compliments!

KnifeLord, I'm not sure what you mean about putting the filter in as a CD ROM piece. There would be no easy way to change a filter that went into the bottom of the tank. Were you talking about a decoration that would camouflage the filter?

I decided to use a disposable corner filter for my tank. There's a brace built into the back of the tank to keep the filter in place. Disposable filters run about the same price as cartridge-filters and it makes it very easy to make regular filter-changes.

The handle is too far back to use as a feeding hole. The slope of the back limits the depth of the tank to about 7-inches. A backdrop gives the illusion of greater depth. Some iMacquarium plans call for cutting a big hole in the top of the case for feeding and water-changes, but my plans show how to make a hidden feeding hole using the Apple logo at the top of the case so the whole thing looks stock.

One of the nicest surprises about the iMac's shell was the two little supports inside -- right where the front of the tank would have to sit. It made placing and leveling the tank a lot easier. My iMacquarium design uses an original tray-loader's case. I don't know whether later iMac revisions will have the same supports. The lighting options in an Indigo with clear side-panels present some intriguing possibilities.