what to do with a powermac...

Posted by: LGRW3919

what to do with a powermac... - 03/29/05 06:02 PM

What should i do in order to mod my PowerMac?
-lowish budget
-no experience modding a case before, hardly any taking apart a computer.

i appreciate the ideas.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 03/30/05 02:15 AM

what powermac is it? we need to know this first :P
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 03/30/05 04:27 AM

well, you can always add cold cathodes to a powermac. Its relatively easy and cheap. But you want them to show, so older powermacs, non G5's, will need aditional modding in order to show the lighting off, like a clear panel on the side.
Posted by: griffer

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 03/30/05 05:41 AM

Paint it. Thats allways cool (maybe not on a g5 smile ).
Posted by: maestro

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 03/30/05 08:15 AM

This is the place to ask such a question....but we do need to what model you have.
-maestro
Posted by: Toyj

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 03/30/05 11:40 AM

i had an old powerman and i painted it straight silver looks nice... if u want to do a cool mod that looks nice. try painting it ur fav. color and droping a cold cathode in it... not expensive and looks great when its done.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 04/02/05 10:18 PM

Why not mount it in a custom case? Building a case from scratch will teach you lots of good skills for future case modding, plus all the basics of taking apart and building computers.

If you don't want to build it completely from scratch, get hold of an empty one and chop it about to fit. A great way to pactise with saws, drills, dremels etc...

Then once you're done, you'll be equipped for modding the current case and you can move the contents back to that one.
Posted by: LGRW3919

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 04/08/05 05:53 PM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
what powermac is it? we need to know this first :P

its a G5. i'm thinking of dropping in some cathodes, are those hard/expensive?
and i might get a clear plastic side for it to show off its guts.
Posted by: griffer

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 04/08/05 09:32 PM

I think the clear plastic side will be very hard to do properly (not to mention a bit pricey).

Cathodes are really easy to work with. There are several different types eg. some with an extra protective layer of plastic (can't remember what's it's called). But basically they are all used in the same way...

They aren't expensive, and are loads of fun :P
Posted by: maestro

Re:what to do with a powermac... - 04/09/05 04:10 AM

G5s already have a clear plastic side. Lighting is cheap, really cheap. Check out http://www.newegg.com.
-maestro