B&W G3

Posted by: Toyj

B&W G3 - 02/24/05 11:40 AM

Not to long ago i got a B&W mac G3 it had mac os 9 on it so we got 9.2 and os X we aslso bought a sonnet G4 upgrade card now that everything is installed i was thinking about making a Mod but i havent seen any one make a clear B&W G3 b/c of the metal inlay. Is it posable to make a clear box for it out fo scratch of should i jsut stick with painting it.
Posted by: maestro

Re:B&W G3 - 02/24/05 02:27 PM

Ah, the venerable B & W. I have a series of articles running on it on this site. You can cut out
one side of the steel to make it show through. Problem is that you cannot see clearly though
it. You need to buy a G4 side plate. You can get the on eBay, macresq, etc. I would go that
route if I were you. Got ram? Load it with a Gig and watch that G4 upgrade sing! Trust me on
that one. wink
-maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:B&W G3 - 02/24/05 02:35 PM

this is what it will look like I assume.

http://macmod.com/content/view/221/2/

Whitlock did this with his system...

http://macmod.com/content/view/143/2/

But, if you are really looking to do a clear mod, have a look at this mod guide. I know it is not the same computer, but it is close enough.

http://macmod.com/content/view/137/2/

Best of luck. If you do decide to do a case mod for your B&W document it for everyone and make a mod guide wink
Posted by: whitlock

Re:B&W G3 - 02/24/05 03:45 PM

The sides are a frosted plastic and the front is tinted blue. It stinks, or I would have gone clear then painted mine. 'Tis a shame, though you could probably score the plastics off a G4 case (or the whole case itself) and work from there.
Posted by: zenstate

Re:B&W G3 - 02/24/05 05:34 PM

I say axe the idea for the clear box. the right paint in the right places will make you current case look great. I know first hand as I was inspired by whitlock's mod.

get some krylon paint and follow whitlock's grey and white G3 mod guide. one colour everywhere there is frosted plastic and another everywhere there is blue.

good luck! smile

btw, I have pretty much the same mac. b&w with G4 500 upgrade. did mine black & white and love it.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 12:55 AM

Okay, here is my opinion, again. Modding is original, making your computer unique.
Its trying something new and getting satisfaction from that. I still say, use your case with
a G4 side plate and cut the steel out. You can find a great example at http://www.riscx.com.
-maestro
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 01:28 AM

cutting the steel out wouldnt do very much, the logic board is in the way on one side, and on the other side, the psu, optical/zip drives, the fan, and a bunch of other junk are in the way, and cutting it would weaken it greatly.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 03:13 AM

Weaken it greatly...thats pretty doubtful. Really the are a few things blocking the logic
board, but who cares, you can see everything you would want to see. I suggest checking out
the site I listed before you make a final decision.
-maestro
Posted by: krusher117

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 04:04 AM

Is this steel frame any different that colins G4? I don't mind the look of the silver behind the clear door.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 04:39 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Okay, here is my opinion, again. Modding is original, making your computer unique.
Its trying something new and getting satisfaction from that. I still say, use your case with
a G4 side plate and cut the steel out. You can find a great example at http://www.riscx.com.
-maestro

the case itself is the limiting factor in how original you can be. whitlock's mod was perfect and if wanting to do the same is unoriginal then I guess I am.

i'm all for originality but what looks good.. looks good.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 05:30 AM

Zen, I wasn't knocking you. Pardon. Anyway, what ever you want is what YOU want.
Getting the most advice that differs is key to making an informed decision that will
ensure that the decision will be a good one that makes you happy. Painting is cool, just not as
cool as cutting a window and thowing lights in to show off the hardware. That is my opinon
anyway, take it for what it is, to each his/her own. :side:
-maestro

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. I think im jsut gonna stick with painting it my own colors andt hen adding some lights here and there once i get the camera fixed i will post pictures. I also had an idea of poping off the top layer of the keyboard and ass a strand of L.E.D going around the outline. I took it apart to clean all the crap out of it and the idea hit me. I am going to get the strand later this weekend i will let u know if it works.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 10:48 AM

[censored], I wish I thought of that.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/25/05 12:06 PM

Toyj:

if you want to add lights then not painting the small apple logo above the optical drives would be a good idea. check out whitlocks guide to adding a light there. check it out: http://macmod.com/content/view/189/2/

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 01:55 AM

Well i have decided i am gonna keep the blue on the mac already and make both sides of the mac clear. I am gonna get 2 blue cold cathode tubes and put them on the inside and then get a blue strand of L.E.D. and run it through the keyboard. If anyone can tell me how to make the sides clear that would be great. Thanks for all the help.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 02:03 AM

I think you can just soak them in 99% isopropyl alchohol.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 03:06 AM

The sides are already clear. The haze is from the plastic, not paint, which is why I suggested
that you get g4 sides which can be made clear with alcohol.
-maestro

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 03:25 AM

Does that mean that u cant make G3 sides clear.... like see through not hazy clear

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 04:35 AM

pretty much. the frosted look seems to be right in the plastic itself where as on the G4 panels its just white paint on clear plastic. on those you just remove the paint. this is why I chose to paint the frosted areas.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 01:26 PM

ok i went to CompUSA topday and bought 4 cold cathode tubes and hooked them up there working great. i will update the mod pictures later when i get them downloading. The keyboard mod is gonna have to wait b/c i couldnt find any L.E.D. strands that were bendable to put in it. I am gonna have to special order them.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 01:31 PM

You are going to have better luck ordering them online. Look into a light strip, cheaper and you can cut if you need to.

Also, on the cathoes, one - 2 can be placed on the top inside the case, but do not, I REPEAT DO NOT, place one running along the side of the logic board because it will slam into metal. I did that and found out the hard way. Does not break, will crack, and very annoying.

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 01:37 PM

First off there not as thick as u think they are i placed them on the metal and made sure they fitted and they work jsut fine nothing went wrong and the sides are back on and its running jsut fine

Re:B&W G3 - 02/26/05 03:02 PM

Well, that's good they are thinner than mine were in my B&W

Re:B&W G3 - 02/27/05 12:25 AM

ya there pretty thin. there made by Mad Dog there pretty nice. they give the box a nice glow to it.