G5 case mod for PC

Posted by: coder_dup1

G5 case mod for PC - 12/30/04 05:11 AM

I know, I know. Mac addicts cringed when they saw the subject but hear me out...

I basically needed a case for a PC I'm putting together and why not go for the best looking case on the planet? the Apple G5 aluminum. I didnt destroy any system, I just bought and empty case off ebay. Nothing wrong with that. that said..

It appears I can only use a micro-ATX mobo, and I was wondering are there any other special things I will need to do to mod this baby? I guess I will need to rip the power and reset switches off an ATX case to make that work alos right?

Anyone out there have any experience? do i need extra wiring? i dont think..

I was kinda shocked that there are even empty G5 cases out there? how do you suppose that is possible anyway.

And if makes anyone feel better, an Apple Cinema 20" is going to be hooked up to the 'imposter'

any help is appreciated, thanks
Posted by: zenstate

Re:G5 case mod for PC - 12/30/04 05:14 AM

break free of the bill gates death grip and use real macs (inside and out)
Posted by: whitlock

Re:G5 case mod for PC - 12/30/04 06:00 AM

I think you got everything nailed. But if the case came with the buttons, then you are good to go. You might be able to rewire the buttons to work straight to the board as opposed to pirating them off another case. I'd look into that.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:G5 case mod for PC - 12/30/04 05:54 PM

These cases are available for purchase on ebay because they came from stripped G5 computers that were in non working condition. Instead of throwing the thing away, the cases are sold and then the working parts as well.

You might have a look in the mod guides at some of the other mac case conversions. There may be some usefule info there for you. Would love to see you do a mod guide on this when you are finished. I think that I have seen this done before. Can't remember where I saw the mod though :dry:
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:G5 case mod for PC - 12/31/04 08:21 PM

I'm really sorry but do what zenstate said. That is sacralige. lol j/p. But why not just use a cool regular atx case, thermaltake makes a nice one thats aluminum, and I think lian li makes a nice g5 wannabee case.
Posted by: burtman

Re:G5 case mod for PC - 02/05/05 11:28 AM

someones done it...
http://www.speakeasy.org/~gbeier/worst.casemod.ever/
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:G5 case mod for PC - 02/05/05 03:01 PM

thats just wrong. if i got an empty g5 case, i would cremate it and bury the remains in my backyard, but i wouldnt do anything as horrible as to put a pc in it, because thats just really, really sick.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:G5 case mod for PC - 02/05/05 03:08 PM

the lian li case is called the PC-V1000 and can be bought at SilverPCs