G4 400 Sawtooth Mod {i!i xyris.kngraphics.com i!i}

Posted by: kngraphics.com

G4 400 Sawtooth Mod {i!i xyris.kngraphics.com i!i} - 12/20/04 12:07 AM

The Xyris Project is a mac mod of a G4 400 (Sawtooth,) done by myself, Kirk Newcombe. The project originally began during the summer of 2002 as an opportunity to ruin a perfectly good Sawtooth G4. Fortunately, the tower was not ruined and after a couple months of work - the final product emerged. Projects of this sort have been completed; however, the Xyris Project continues to include its own exclusive mods. Both of the side panels have been stripped and backlit by four ultra-bright blue LEDís along with yellow LED handle accents and yellow paint accents.

Check out http://xyris.kngraphics.com for more photos of the final product.
Also look out for future mods by Kirk at http://kngraphics.com

Post edited by: kngraphics.com, at: 2004/12/20 08:21
Posted by: acevoncash

Re:G4 400 Sawtooth Mod {i!i xyris.kngraphics.com i - 01/03/05 07:43 PM

Its very interesting.. but i always thought that the mdd looked better with lights. Also the maker should look into cold cathode lights wich are in my opinion better than leds
Posted by: mark

Re:G4 400 Sawtooth Mod {i!i xyris.kngraphics.com i - 01/03/05 11:08 PM

Cold Cathodes would ruin that mod. The strongest element of that mod is how it controls the direction of the different colors. There's no practical way of controlling a CCFT to create the same effect. Besides LEDs are cheaper than most CCFT kits, I can get hundreds of LEDs in just about any color for $10 or $20, and a similar mod would take

Thats not to discredit CCFTs or EL, they both have their advantages and I've used all of them, but for a clean and simple mod like this LEDs are really the only way to go IMO.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:G4 400 Sawtooth Mod {i!i xyris.kngraphics.com i!i} - 01/04/05 01:16 AM

i see you got a better server; the older one would never let people look at the pictures and no one could tell you because the "contact" page would never work.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:G4 400 Sawtooth Mod {i!i xyris.kngraphics.com i - 01/04/05 02:21 AM

a better server? The pictures have almost always worked... I am afraid that I am confused. Your image that you loaded in the forum displays fine on my system. There is a size limit on images to keep from overloading the server and using unnecessary transfer.

As for the LED mod, great job! I would love to see a mod guide on this so that I could place it in the archive on the site. Will you please consider doing one through your user menu, where it says Submit Mod Guide? Msg me if you are having difficulties. wink
Posted by: mark

Re:G4 400 Sawtooth Mod {i!i xyris.kngraphics.com i - 01/04/05 02:45 AM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
a better server? The pictures have almost always worked... I am afraid that I am confused. Your image that you loaded in the forum displays fine on my system. There is a size limit on images to keep from overloading the server and using unnecessary transfer.

His server, not MacMod's. xyris is at least a year old and the images used to be hosted at another domain (riscx.net had a link to this project a year ago, and the teaser images point a different domain)