Things I Should Consider

Posted by: LittleWing

Things I Should Consider - 10/01/04 01:26 PM

I am currently using an eMac but it is nearing the time when I will be upgrading to an iBook, however, I don't want my old eMac to just sit in a box somewhere I have plans for it. Bassically I want to take it apart and put all of the components in a tower case and then have a seperate LCD monitor. As far as possible I want to keep all of the components (except for the screen) but I'm not really sure where to start. If anyone has any advice on what I should be looking at or how I shoud approach this then I'd be grateful to hear it, this will be my first mod but hopefully it will be a good one. Thanks.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Things I Should Consider - 10/01/04 02:17 PM

WELCOME TO MACMOD!

I have seen an imac server mod, where the guy took an iMac and converted it to a slim (1U style) case with ext monitor. I think that would be a great place to start. We don't have it here, but I'm going to see if I can find it on the web for you? Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Things I Should Consider - 10/01/04 02:38 PM

here you go, its not the same one I was talking about. This one came out about a week ago, but I think it should answer most of your questions. Otherwise, check the bottom of the details page to see other conversion mods.

http://www.glenbo.com/imac_box/
Posted by: LittleWing

Re:Things I Should Consider - 10/01/04 08:30 PM

thanks for your help, I'll check that out
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Things I Should Consider - 10/01/04 08:50 PM

The setup Krusher suggested looks okay, but I think you could do better.

With the components themselves, first you have to take it apart (don't forget to discharge the CRT) and measure out what you want to keep. OK, I AM CAPTAIN OBVIOUS. You will have to use the power board, so that is some extra equipment you may have not planned for. On a flat screen rig, you could do what I am planning to do and turn it into a iMac G5 look-alike, though you have more stuff to deal with than I do, so it could turn into a bulky box. But what you can do is get those measurements and then go garage sailing. That should give you some ideas.

Do you have any ideas that you want to shoot back and see if they are feasable?

Crazy Idea!
Well, this will sound weird, but if you want the components and use a flatscreen, then I'd say get an old turn table and drop the components into it. Make sure it has a large enough footprint to do it. Then if you are into records, you could spin some vinyl and also use the Mac. It would be a great setup for a person that's into music.