PC Mod

Posted by: ubergeek89

PC Mod - 09/30/04 02:06 AM

I know, I know, this is a mac mod site. But I was curious if anybody had suggestions for a pc mod to this case. ( http://shop.store.yahoo.com/vpcllc/penguincase.html) it looks like the case picture there, but about twice as tall with feet to help balance it. I was thinking a full paint job, a window, and a side fan, what do you guys think? I already started painting the internal chassis silver so its not as dull. And ive primered the side panels.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:PC Mod - 09/30/04 03:17 AM

jet Black would look ok......sorry man but I gotta say that case sux :lol:
Posted by: whitlock

Re:PC Mod - 09/30/04 04:31 AM

Good luck! Though I will add that a pre-modded case for a little more would have got you to that point already. If money was an issue, I understand and that's why you went with the $49 case.

Get fan grill covers, drop a 450w (atleast) P/S into it, variable fan speed switch, 2 cathodes (white or blue), get some Bondo and form an object (whatever you want) into the side or front of the case, and a switch that looks like it came from top gun as the power button. And a racing stripe...
Posted by: krusher117

Re:PC Mod - 09/30/04 01:16 PM

http://www.crazypc.com has lots of stuff to do what you need. Oh yea, they are a google ad :y32b4: so click it and then buy :lol: . Sorry that was a shameless plug, but they realy are quite good.

Re:PC Mod - 09/30/04 09:38 PM

Anyways, what kind of components are you dropping into the case?

Re:PC Mod - 09/30/04 11:03 PM

I'll be putting in the stuff I already have Now Which is as Follows:

Biostar Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2700+ @3000+
@ hard Drives (Maxtor/ 30 and 60 gigs)
DVD-Rom
CD-RW
NVidia GeForce 2 MX400 (64mb)
300w Power Supply
Single Basic Homemade Fanbus (switch) Also Has cathode Switch on it
PC Toys Blue Cold Cathode
2 Antec 80mm LED Fans
1 Antec Bay Fan
1 Antec CPU Cooler
Thats about it. Not The best system, but its a decent Counter Strike/Quake/Unreal/RTCW/Enter the Matrix/Web Designing Machine. The only other thing I use it for is Music (with iTunes of course) and I plan on DJ-ing with it eventually so I need a cool looking system.

Re:PC Mod - 09/30/04 11:06 PM

Forgot to mention. I have the no longer made server tower version of that case. Since its a Sturdy full tower I Figure It Would look cool with some time and elbow grease.

Re:PC Mod - 10/01/04 04:20 AM

I was going to say that it was a pretty basic case there. This case will be a good base for some modding, though where are you planning to get a window? Are you just going to buy a piece of acylic or buy a pre-etched window?

Re:PC Mod - 10/02/04 03:36 AM

I plan on going to home depot a getting a 24"x24" sheet of lexan, then cutting it down at home for the window, and using self-boaring metal screws to hold it into the side panel The window is going to be sort of an "L" shape and the open part without a window will complete a square with a fan.