eBay Case Mod $$ Maker?

Posted by: oojacoboo

eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/19/04 05:10 PM

It appears that this guy has made some cash out of modding this mac. I know that these don't sell for quite that much on average. Take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5122386189&fromMakeTrack=true
Posted by: JavaDog

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/20/04 01:04 AM

Wow, not be a hater or anything...but cripes that's a lot of coin for an older system! Plus...well, nevermind. I'll be nice.

Still, if it were MY money, I would've rather spent an extra $300 and grabbed a new widescreen 17in iMac. :P
Posted by: whitlock

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/20/04 01:34 AM

I would spend the extra money and get an iBook that is still faster than that.

I'm also not a fan of clear mods, but it looks clean. I guess to some people it's worth the money not to do it themselves.

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/20/04 02:46 AM

whoops, I failed to calculate the exchange rate for this item. I just assumed that it was USD when I saw it. Stupid Me! Anyway, the exchange rate from Australia to USD is around 1.3 or so.

So, 1,300 x .7 = 910.00 USD I guess thats a little closer to the correct value. However, I bet you could have sold this for more in the US as there are lots of people that would like one similar. Whereas, Australia has a population the size of New York State alone, 20 million.

Anyrate, a mod on ebay wink
Posted by: mark

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/21/04 09:29 PM

Its a developing trend, I met someone over the summer who had a slightly modded AlBook and I started talking to them about it, turned out he was buying these systems new with developer discount, modding them, using them for a few months then selling them on eBay for more than then he was getting them for. I'm not a fan of the idea but its happening more and more, Computer Shopper did a feature on modding a couple months ago and Popular Science has been sticking a hardware hack or mod into every issue for a few months now. Even off of eBay there are any number of ways to make money as a modder.
Posted by: AMoses

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/21/04 10:45 PM

'Wish I had a laser cutter!!
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/21/04 10:47 PM

I'll be the first to admit that the money you can make as a modder could be better. I started modding as a hobby back in the days of the performa 630 and over the years have made some pretty nice stuff. I've modded for friends, co-workers, and family members as well, usually in trade for a chinese dinner. (I'm a sucker for lo-mein)

Occasionally people have paid me for my work and effort, which is always nice, but I never considered it a money making venture. It was more an art venture, a creative outlet if you will. The ironic thing is that people tell me I should be making tons of money off the stuff I've done. The theory being that if people make thousands of dollars for painting custom hot rods, Why am I not making the same bank off my painting computers to look like custom hot rods. Well, the answer there is simple. critical mass. Modding is still becoming popular. There's never gonna be a movie about modders that will toss them the limelight like the fast and the furious put street racers on the map. But it would be nice to have people want to shell out for the skills. Suffice it to say, the most I've made in a day was $1100, when I sold several custom laptops at Washington Apple Pi's winter garage sale. But that was a case of hitting the right market, at the right moment, with the right machines.

Who knows, maybe someday someone will pay me to paint flames on macs, and to pin-stripe laptops. I wouldnt complain. It'd sure beat workin. smile

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/22/04 02:09 AM

modyourmac, the day is coming. Its truly just a matter of time. The more people that have computers, the more demand there will be for mods, and once the computer market goes through virtually every deisgn and consumers get tired of them, that is when modding comes in.

How long did it take before the car market for modding and hot rod painting really became popular?

Have computers had that much time? Look where they are already... :huh:

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2004/09/22 09:10
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:eBay Case Mod $$ Maker? - 09/22/04 02:30 AM

You make a valid point. smile If you look at guys like Craig fraser (http://www.gotpaint.com) who've been doing this for ages, they're in their prime. they happen to be the celebrities at the moment. I figure that someday someone will figure out that computers are a canvas just like a car. granted, people still look at me funny when I explain to them that I want my computers to have that flash and super deep shine, but they probably dont quite get it. But, those who do, well, they already have my machines. laugh I see no reason to stop painting now. besides, I havent tried all my ideas, worked all the bugs out of the process or developed the perfect hand for pin-striping. Hell, I have 70 years left in this life. thats more than enough time to get it right. And in the end, I'll leave behind some really pretty pieces of plastic smile