Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply ?

Posted by: Anonymous

Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply ? - 07/29/04 06:57 AM

Hi

I want to put 2 Cold Cathode Lights in my G5 and I want to be sure, that the Power Supply is strong enough. Is that true ?

Greetz

Post edited by: XtreX, at: 2004/07/29 09:00
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply - 07/29/04 11:06 AM

Yes, it appears so, check out this link.

http://www.welovemacs.com/6612904.html

You can set this one at 600 or 650. Maybe it is the same as the stock G5 power suppply. I am not too sure. Souds like a good mod. Are you planning on submitting for the contest?

Cheers.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply - 07/29/04 02:01 PM

i would hope to god that your existing p/s would support the cathodes. most people can drop cathodes w/o worrying. unless you are using every available power tap in your machine, no need to worry. and also, are you planning on doing any p/s mods to make it clear and drop some lights in there as well?
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply ? - 07/29/04 02:44 PM

The G5 power supply is more than enough for 2 cold cathodes. However, there is only one molex power connecter, and that is on the superdrive. You will need to purchse a splitter for that. I have done this on a Rev A. 1.6ghtz G5 so I know it will work. Also, be sure you run cables well, as you don't want to spoil the look of your G5 by having cables sticking out.

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply ? - 08/08/04 01:20 PM

Sorry, but I was in holidays so I can't answer your questions.

First I want to say that I'm from Switzerland and I learnd english in school. I haven't terminated the school yet, therefor my english isnt' really good.

I boght these 2 cold cathodes I told about. Today I put it in my G5. But I don't fixed the cold cathodes yet, because I'm not sure where I should fix them.

Here a few pics:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/gilscheitlin/g5/index.html
(I made this pics with my webcam. . .)

When I fixed the 2 cold cathodes I'll try to make some pics with a good cam wink

Post edited by: XtreX, at: 2004/08/08 13:22

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply - 08/08/04 05:34 PM

Xtrex, that is pretty nice! Maybe you will put the cathodes right behind a solid piece of the case. This way you don't see the actual cathode but you still see the lighting effects. Can't wait to see the final product and the mod guide on how you did it. Are you planning on submitting for the mod challenge?

Cheers,
Jacob

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply - 08/10/04 06:08 AM

Do you think that only 2 cold cathodes are good enough for this mod challenge? I don't want to get "worst of show" . . .

By the way, I could loan the cam of my cousin, a really good Sony DSC-T1. I would make a few pictures and a mod guide if I don't submit for the Mod Challenge.

Post edited by: XtreX, at: 2004/08/10 07:27

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply - 08/10/04 09:28 AM

Xtrex,

By the way, nice avatar. I think that 2 cold cathodes are just fine for this mod. I wouldn't put anymore than this personally. I think they just need some placement. You shouldn't worry about worst of show, I am sure there will be worse ones. I would really like to see a mod guide and you submit for the competition. maybe you can think out of the box and add a little bit more to the mod. Its plain, and simple, and I like it. There isn't much you can do to the G5 at this point really, unless you go crazy and decide to paint the thing. Hmm, that might not look tooo bad, but then again, the silver looks great. wink
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:Does the G5 really have a 600 Watt Power Supply - 08/10/04 03:35 PM

You did a good job with them, but personally, I think it would have looked beter with 2 12" cold cathodes on either end of the case, but that would not be original, because it already been done.