I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it

Posted by: agentofchange

I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/06/04 12:54 PM

You'd have to be crazy !

-- Agent wink
Posted by: scottk

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/06/04 01:23 PM

Is there someone who is actually considering this? I remember the joke a few months back.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/06/04 02:24 PM

Scott, you are running with these forums mate! LOL, yea there is a guy that is going to post a mod guide on this site for his G4 and pc mod. I am not a PC fan by far, but its really not too bad of an idea. He has a G5 and has to use a pc for some things. So, he bought a case for 200 I believe and is installing a pc into it. Therefore, he will have two g5's sitting side by side. While its not as cool as the real deal, its not a bad alternative. Hopefully the guide will be up soon and you can take a look. Keep and eye out!
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/06/04 04:06 PM

I've been a pc modder for years and I have to say I would prefer to have a unique mod on a pc case instead of making it look like its something its not. I personally think it would be pretty bad to see a G5 case powerup and boot windoze. Just my opinion
Posted by: TomatoMac

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 06:58 AM

I've got a G5 and it will never embody the P4 name. Later.
-Shane

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 10:20 AM

I don't think that there is any mac user that would agree that a p4 would be best in a G5 case. However, if you needed a pc, what case would you want? An ugly pc case? Not me, I would rather have a G5 case, presonally. However, I would never put a p4 in the case. I would absolutely stick with AMD. Just my thoughts.
Posted by: the061

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 12:06 PM

I hope you are being sarcastic. smile

Please don't.

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 12:10 PM

No one is gutting a G5 to do this mod, they are buying a G5 case from a company and putting a pc in it.
Posted by: cheadley

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 12:54 PM

I would think this would be a harder mod than it sounds. I doubt (highly) that a standard ATX peecee motherboard will have matching connectors and mounting and with an all alum case, it's going to be hard to modify.

I'm sure it can be done. Just difficult.

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 01:03 PM

its been done, I have seen it. The guy will post a guide soon. I will inform the thread.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 01:23 PM

i wish i had that kind of money to throw around
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 02:02 PM

I agree with 'whitlock'! I'm still hesitant to do much of anything with my almost 6 year old Beige G3.

What happens if you screw something up? Then it looks like a pile of crap sitting on your desk.

This may be way off base, but I think that too many parents are buying their kids whatever they want, without teaching them the quality of ownership. "Oh you broke it, modded it, trashed it, etc?!? Well let me buy you a new one at $3000 each."

Like I said, I may be way off on this, but working within the education circle has allowed me to see this happen time and time again with pretty much anything (games, PCs, MP3s, CDs, clothes, cars, etc.). The kid misuses it and Mom and Dad just get them another one. Guess I grew up in the wrong generation.

Sorry for the small rant...
Posted by: karl

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/07/04 02:06 PM

Why is it that when ever this mod is brought up everyone gets their knickers in a twist. The guy IS NOT gutting a G5 he is modding the case, and if he wants to do that more poser to him. If I wanted to take a ferrari and put a Honda insight engine and electrics in it I should be able to, it would be difficult yes, but that is part of the fun. For me modding something has a high degree of difficulty and that is what makes it fun and exciting, especially when some one says it can't be done. smile
Posted by: flexoffset

Re:I\'m going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/09/04 02:26 AM

If I could get hold of a G5 case, I'd probably put a Pentium or Opteron motherboard in it. The case looks better than those other 'cookie cutter' styles out there for the PC's. I'm not gonna pay 200 bucks for one, though. That's a serious downpayment on one heck of a PC motherboard.
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 06/09/04 02:53 PM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that there is any mac user that would agree that a p4 would be best in a G5 case. However, if you needed a pc, what case would you want? An ugly pc case? Not me, I would rather have a G5 case, presonally. However, I would never put a p4 in the case. I would absolutely stick with AMD. Just my thoughts.

I have to disagree with you on the AMD factor. The new P4 with hyperthreading blows any AMD out of the water. AMD's quantispeed was a good attempt but Intel finally did something right with the hyperthreading. Check out http://www.tomshardware.com for some good benchmarks.
Posted by: Qksilver

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 07/21/04 03:38 AM

scottk wrote:
Quote:
Is there someone who is actually considering this? I remember the joke a few months back.

Someone actually gutted a Mac Cube (don't worry, it was already dead) and built a PC into the case. Wish I could remember the site address...

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 07/21/04 03:42 AM

flexoffset wrote:
Quote:
If I could get hold of a G5 case, I'd probably put a Pentium or Opteron motherboard in it. The case looks better than those other 'cookie cutter' styles out there for the PC's. I'm not gonna pay 200 bucks for one, though. That's a serious downpayment on one heck of a PC motherboard.

Lian Li makes a series of cases that look suspiciously like the G5. Visit this site for a review of the V-1000:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=llv1000&page=1

Coolerguys.com is selling it for just under $200. Style ain't cheap...
Posted by: krusher117

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 07/21/04 03:44 AM

WOW thats a pretty good clone of the G5. Its obviously a PC, but if I HAD to buy a pc case I think this would be the one. :ohmy:

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 07/21/04 03:50 AM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
WOW thats a pretty good clone of the G5. Its obviously a PC, but if I HAD to buy a pc case I think this would be the one. :ohmy:

Actually, I did buy it. I'm moving my Quicksilver '01 G4/867 into it this weekend.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 07/21/04 04:05 AM

remember to document for others to follow if at all possible! Heheh....thats my macmod mod guide plug

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 07/21/04 09:56 PM

the p4 mod. man, i never thought i'd see the day. well, you get props for doing it, as it would have to be difficult with the inside chasis. as for the equipment inside, i shudder a bit. for a juxtaposition, drop a g5 into a p4 dell case. that would even it out for me,

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 07/22/04 03:11 PM

Hey, if you hold that little value for your G5, how about sending the 'guts' this way?!? laugh

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 07/22/04 03:36 PM

i'll take some of that as well. i could always use another board. if it was a dual, we could split the processors and play 'rock, paper, scissors' for the board magnus

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 07/22/04 07:54 PM

whitlock, you've got a deal. Now, if we can just con this guy out of the guts, we'll be in business!
Posted by: JavaDog

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in it - 07/26/04 05:06 PM

DaleCo2k wrote:
Quote:
it would be pretty bad to see a G5 case powerup and boot windoze. Just my opinion

What about if it was booting into a nice clean *nix OS though? :P

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 07/26/04 05:10 PM

if its booting a nix that thats kick ass! IMHO!
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 07/26/04 05:18 PM

At least use an amd if you're really going to do that. "Intel inside, Ideot outside"
Posted by: Krow

Re:I'm going to gut my G5 for real and put a P4 in - 08/16/04 12:56 AM

Even if it is serious, it is a lousy mod idea.
Why not be original and make a unique design instead of stealing someone else's (Apple)
design ?

Typical of a Windoze user.........copy it !

Krow