Clamshell Makeover Possible?

Posted by: adairnet

Clamshell Makeover Possible? - 02/23/07 06:17 PM

Hello,
I have the last G3 Clamshell iBook model (graphite, firewire, etc) that was made.
I LOVE it, but it's pretty useless for me - mostly due to the screen resolution.

Is it possible to convert the 800x600 rez to anything higher, at least 1024x768???
I realize it would mean replacing the actual hardware/screen, but I've heard that other components (motherboard/processor/etc) wouldn't then be able to recognize it. So then my quesiton is, can all the necessary components be replaced/hacked/modded/made-to-fit so it can work?

I "might" be willing to even pay one of you mod-guru's to do it for me if I can't hack it (pun intended) myself.
Thanks,
-jason.
Posted by: 987687

Re: Clamshell Makeover Possible? - 02/23/07 07:55 PM

I read that when the later ones (8MB video ram) run ubuntu the resolution preferences have an option for 1024x768. That was a while ago, and I can't remember if anyone had any success. Since I have a first generation I have never been able to test this. if you boot it from a ubuntu live boot CD report back on what happens because I am curious. As for my use of the clamshell, I have it running 10.4.8 on 320MB of ram and I use it for my web server, file server, printer server, music, etc
Posted by: Rickets

Re: Clamshell Makeover Possible? - 02/25/07 11:46 AM

There was a whole thread over on the macnn forums about this - a couple hopeful modders actually tried it and ended up giving up due to a number of issues. I personally don't think it's even worth the effort.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Clamshell Makeover Possible? - 03/03/07 05:27 AM

Well you could turn the clamshell into a desktop and use a desktop LCD and fabercate a all-in-one case. Or turn the clamshell into a one of those touch screen pads with a small 7 to 10 inch touch screen.
Posted by: shifuimam

Re: Clamshell Makeover Possible? - 03/14/07 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: "Rickets "

There was a whole thread over on the macnn forums about this - a couple hopeful modders actually tried it and ended up giving up due to a number of issues. I personally don't think it's even worth the effort.

I found this thread via Google, so sorry for the bump.

We got decently far. Ubuntu does recognize an XGA display in a clamshell and displays properly. Something in Open Firmware or the ATI drivers is preventing OS9/X from seeing that it's XGA-capable.

If anyone here has any experience programming Open Firmware and/or custom drivers, we could definitely use the help. Perhaps there is a way to transfer the Ubuntu video drivers into the Mac OS...

We haven't given up yet!!