iBook w/o and LCD screen ?!

Posted by: Scott in Japan

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/03/06 02:33 AM

Just wondering if an iBook can be run without its LCD screen. I have a 2001 Dual USB iBook and the onboard video has gone bad for a 2nd time. Outputs to a monitor just fine, but not to its own LCD. I'd like to mod this 'Book somehow...... basically as a headless machine. Is it possible to run it w/o the LCD attached and if so, what do I need to do to ?
Posted by: mordaskyt

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/03/06 04:57 AM

It should run fine sans LCD. Just hook it up. You could get an inexpensive LCD monitor and build your own imac. Is the problem the logic board flaw that those are notorious for? It doesn't sound like it as if it were it wouldn't output any video at all. It may just be the cable running from the board to the screen. Not a hard fix.
Posted by: Kisin

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/03/06 09:53 AM

I had a dual usb ibook, the lb problem lies aprently with the processor and the large chip next to it. the ibook with a faulty lb won't boot up unless you press really hard on these 2 chips, and maybe it never will. as for the lcd not working it could be a cable, the inverter board or the lcd itself, shouldn;t be hard to find a screen assembly on ebay, though it may not be cheap. just do as mordaskyt said, hook it up and enjoy it or mod it into the back of an inexpensive lcd monitr!

good luck!

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/03/06 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: "mordaskyt"
It should run fine sans LCD. Just hook it up. You could get an inexpensive LCD monitor and build your own imac. Is the problem the logic board flaw that those are notorious for? It doesn't sound like it as if it were it wouldn't output any video at all. It may just be the cable running from the board to the screen. Not a hard fix.

Yea, I believe it is the logic board, as that is what they told me the 1st time. The screen goes dark... as if the backlight is gone. Pressing firmly on the left front corner can sometimes...briefly...bring the LCD back. It does output to the external w/o any problems. It works fine in that area.

An iMacBook would be interesting. At this point don't really have any solid ideas.
Posted by: mordaskyt

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/03/06 04:59 PM

The symptom you discribe is the logic board problem exactly. I did not realize an ibook could still work with an external monitor if it had this problem. Be carefull pressing on the corner as the Hard Disk is right there, I killed two drives doing that same thing. The footprint of the ibook without its top half is tiny. It would make a great "imacbook" or lots of other cool thigs too.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/04/06 01:05 PM

Most of the iBooks with dodgy boards have no video at all. The problem is that the logic board flexes too much and the solder joints on the GPU pins break. Maybe yours only broke the ones it needs for the internal screen. Seems unlikely to me though. You'd be better off looking at the display cable, inverter cable, inverter board and reed switch.All of these are pretty cheap. However since pressing down on yours made it work for a while, it would seem to imply the logic fault. There is a temporary fix on xlr8yourmac.com somewhere which might prolong its useful life. You basically insert a small square of metal between the metal shield and the outer case to press down on the chip for you. Won't last for long if you continue lugging it around though.
Posted by: reLAXER564

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/04/06 01:49 PM

Yeah it would be really neat if you could cram the headless iBook into a Dell Flat screen or something. Even though that is probably not possible. : (
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

iBook w/o and LCD screen ?! - 07/04/06 03:39 PM

Its easy if you re-house the iBook and the display in a new enclosure. Just use a VGA display.

Mac-o-la - 07/04/06 09:36 PM

:note: :note: The idea I have in mind is to make a jukebox. Literaly I want to mimic the design and style of a Rockola jukebox, with a modern twist. I`ll hide the headless iBook in the case I`ll build. I`ll mount a small LCD (I`m thinking touchscreen) panel on the front. I will provide access to the iBook via a pop out drawer. It`ll take some time to gather pieces and to convince my banker (wife) to let me spend the $ on the screen !

http://www.rock-ola.co.za/ images/bubbler_big.jpg