Fake processor upgrades?

Posted by: mordaskyt

Fake processor upgrades? - 05/18/06 05:13 AM

I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything about people hacking upgrade cards to fool the system profiler. Basically causing them to report themselves as something other than what they really are. I stumbled on an ebay auction for a G4 900 upgrade for the Pismo Powerbook.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PowerBook-Pismo-Upgr...QQcmd
ZViewItem

I know this is not real, but the seller seems to legit for it to be a straight up scam. I am wondering what the deal is. Has anyone ever heard of this being done?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Fake processor upgrades? - 05/18/06 06:07 AM

I'd be more inclined to believe it if weren't a 7410. Never heard of a 7410 clocked higher than 600 in a desktop, let alone in a laptop.
Maybe one of the Daystar guys managed to fit a later G4 to a Pismo for personal use or as a prototype, and the seller has listed it as a 7410 by mistake.
Otherwise its fake...
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Fake processor upgrades? - 05/18/06 07:51 AM

Just emailed Daystar about this, and I quote:

"The guy hacked the software to throw up a bogus number.
If you do a clean install it will most likely come up at 333 MHz G3... if it is even a pismo."

Makes you wonder how he hopes to get away with it.Of course the about this mac shot doesn't say PowerBook G3 anywhere, it could have been taken on an iBook. No hack required.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Fake processor upgrades? - 05/18/06 02:34 PM

You can very simply make any Mac have whatever processor you want it to. For a while, I had a PowerBook G5 1.2 GHz, and then an Athlon of some sort. All you have to do is edit some system file so that instead of throwing up the information embedded in the hardware, it displays whatever text you put in place of that command. I forget which file, though...