iBook: G3 LCD on G4

Posted by: BobbyBlu3

iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/09/08 10:46 PM

Hey guys!
I'm aware that the connectors are not the same, but is it possible to modify the video connector to match the G3 LCD connector? confused
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/10/08 09:43 AM

Sure you could. Power requirements are the same, screen resolutions are the same. One thing you might try before you go and modify the connectors though... I haven't checked my G4 yet, but I know that this holds true with the Clamshell iBook screens and the Dual USB G3 iBooks. You can remove the shielding tape and there is a flat, 20 pin connector at board on the back of the LCD. That connector may be the same for both. If it is, just use the G4 cable and you *SHOULD* be good to go. This is not from an iBook, but the same kind of connector I'm talking about.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/10/08 11:45 AM

The problem i have is the G3 screen is a Samsung model and the green part of the screen i much lower so the cable needs to be shorter and less wide at the connector head. My G4 connector looks exactly similar to your wire there where all the individual wires are mostly on the right side, leaving the the left side of the connector free. I did a mistake by cutting the unused part of the connector to fit it into the G3 connection slot. I tried the screen and obviously the wire was getting warm, that's a short right? Is my screen still good or did i ruin that as well? Is this what i need for my G4?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...bayphotohosting

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/10/08 02:26 PM

I doubt you killed it. Screens are fairly robust. I imagine you'll have to re-pin the screen since the connectors weren't the same. Does the coloring of both harnesses match?

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/10/08 09:20 PM

I only bought the LCD screen itself, without the mount, frame or such, which saved me a ton of money, i payed 40$ for it as opposed to 200$+. I didn't think about the connectors though, i was sure they would match frown

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/11/08 12:45 PM

This is what the displays original cable should be: http://www.ifixit.com/iBook-Parts/iBook-G3-14-Inch-Display-Data-Cable/IF151-023

This is what your iBooks original cable should be:
http://www.ifixit.com/iBook-Parts/iBook-G4-14-Inch-Display-Data-Cable-Wide/IF184-053

Since you still have the iBooks original cable, you should try to find one off of a G3 so you can either modify that, or merge the two.

I did find that this has been done before. Not having the same to look at it's a little hard to follow, but you may understand better. http://www.applefritter.com/node/8880
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/11/08 01:23 PM

The connectors match at the logic board end. A G3 cable should do fine. And will be of better quality than any home made or modded one.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/11/08 03:54 PM

Perfect then! Thanks guys, i ordered a G3 cable so i think everything should be fine. The only issue is i have to open up the iBook yet again and at this point the screws are really used, it's starting to be a real hassle. I was hoping to avoid doing it yet again.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/18/08 10:14 AM

Hey again!
I just received my narrow G4 cable, i tried it on the LCD and it fits perfectly. My question though is will it work with the G3 screen or is the wiring different. I want to know before i open up the iBook to fully plug this cable.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/18/08 01:05 PM

You originally said you ordered a G3 cable. According to War, that will be your best bet. But, if you really do have the G4 cable instead of the G3, you could give it a shot.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/18/08 01:14 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking now. All the white/clear iBook G3s and all G4s have identical display data (LVDS) connectors on their logic boards.
The LCDs vary however, sometimes the same model of iBook can have more than one make and model of LCD panel. Some of these have the same connecters on the LCD end, but some are different. I don't think I have seen more than two or three variants though. Bottom line is, if you have a cable that connects to the LCD, it will connect to and work with any iBook logic board later than a clamshell.
If you lift the whole top half from one iBook and connect it to another, it will be fine (though there is more variation with the connectors and lengths of inverter and antenna cables, and only some have reed switches in the lid).

I'm rambling now, but basically, if the cable fits in the back of the LCD, you are good to go.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/18/08 01:27 PM

It does fit, because i ordered the G4 LCD cable first, the narrow connector. I originally had a wide connector which is why i couldn't plug it to my G3 screen. I also ordered a G3 LCD cable just in case the G4 one doesn't work. So since it fits the LCD panel connector, you think it should work?

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/19/08 11:15 AM

It should. The only other variant is the length. The 12" cables are too short for 14"ers.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/19/08 08:28 PM

Ok i tried plugging the new G4 LVDS cable, everything fits on both, the motherboard and on the G3 screen as well. The problem is, the monitor won't turn on. I also tried external monitor and they won't get a signal either. What do you think is wrong here? My DVI worked fine before, but since i took out the old broken screen out, i haven't had a successfull output since.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/20/08 03:25 AM

Well to be sure, disconnect the LCD and try the external again. If it works, then you have fried the LCD after all. If you still get no video, squeeze the GPU while you reboot. If it comes back on your board has failed with the classic iBook problem.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/20/08 09:25 AM

None of the above work. The computer does turn on and my monitor turns on just as soon as the computer is powered on when connected via VGA, but doesn't go further than that in it's signal.

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 04/20/08 01:33 PM

Nevermind, i fixed it at last! I was pressing on the wrong chip when trying if it was the GPU. I kept pressing the top part of the heat sink, but the chip in in the lower part. That brought the screen to life! ;D
Posted by: Interloper

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 08/15/08 04:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking now. All the white/clear iBook G3s and all G4s have identical display data (LVDS) connectors on their logic boards.
The LCDs vary however, sometimes the same model of iBook can have more than one make and model of LCD panel. Some of these have the same connecters on the LCD end, but some are different. I don't think I have seen more than two or three variants though. Bottom line is, if you have a cable that connects to the LCD, it will connect to and work with any iBook logic board later than a clamshell.
If you lift the whole top half from one iBook and connect it to another, it will be fine (though there is more variation with the connectors and lengths of inverter and antenna cables, and only some have reed switches in the lid).

I'm rambling now, but basically, if the cable fits in the back of the LCD, you are good to go.

I've 2 G4 iBooks in my possession as of today. One logic board died, the other LCD died. I can't swap the LCDs because theres a 2 wire difference on the LCD power harness. Is there anything I can do about this? -I posted in another thread, but later found this one matches the subject. Thank you
Posted by: RadioC1ash

Re: iBook: G3 LCD on G4 - 10/21/08 07:41 AM

quit molesting the forum.