Macbook VRAM Ajustments

Posted by: iBookdude458

Macbook VRAM Ajustments - 05/23/06 05:23 PM

Hey Guys i thought of an interesting proposition. As you all may know the new macbooks take their VRAm from the system Ram. My idea is that maybe one can go into open firmware and change the amount of ram allocated for video processing.
Posted by: modyourmac

Macbook VRAM Ajustments - 05/23/06 07:44 PM

there is no more open firmware on the intel machines. You'd have to boot into EFI and try something, which would be dicey at best.
Posted by: iBookdude458

Macbook VRAM Ajustments - 05/23/06 08:14 PM

Can You Explain EFI anyone, and the difference between EFI and openfirmware and why EFI is not stored on the macs motherboard instead of hard drive this sounds very Pcish and crappy
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Macbook VRAM Ajustments - 05/24/06 02:57 AM

It is PCish. It was needed to run Intel chips. Either that or BIOS.
Posted by: Kisin

Macbook VRAM Ajustments - 05/24/06 09:08 AM

i'm sorry but I can't help the feeling that going intel was a huge step back!
It is really a bummer the lack of development and production of the ppc chip...
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Macbook VRAM Ajustments - 05/25/06 02:58 AM

I don't think its all about speed and development. I think supply is a massive issue, and this may be beginning to change. It took over a month for us to see a MacBook Pro in our showroom after they were announced. We still haven't seen the 17" version. The first MacBook showed up in under 48 hours, and we actually had at least one or two in stock yesterday.
Posted by: modyourmac

Macbook VRAM Ajustments - 05/25/06 09:15 AM

Okay so, verbatim:

"Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) is the name for a system developed by Intel that is designed to replace the aging BIOS system used by personal computers. It is responsible for the power-on self-test (POST) process, bootstrapping the operating system, and providing an interface between the operating system and the physical hardware."

Also Verbatim:

"EFI allows vendors to create operating system-independent device drivers. In that sense, it is similar to Open Firmware, the hardware-independent firmware used in PowerPC-based Apple Macintosh computers and Sun Microsystems SPARC computers, amongst others. EFI also allows the operating system to run in a sandbox mode, where networking and memory management issues are delegated to the firmware instead of the OS. Attempts by the OS to access the hardware are converted to calls to the EFI drivers. The EFI is also used to select and load the operating system, removing the need for a boot loader.
The EFI standard also requires a GUID Partition Table hard disk drives."

So, what this tells me is that we're using a different, similar system, that was created by intel, and is now managed by an independent group. Its a replacement for BIOS, and given the nature of non system specific hardware drivers, may actually make it easier for manufacturers, software developers, and cross platform integration.

Now, for those who are wondering where I got all this, some of it is on intel's website, and there's a TON of information on Wikipedia. Based on what I've read, in order to get up to speed for work, I'm inclined to think we've not taken a step backward. It feels like at the very least, a lateral step that will lead to a forward step. (much like chess).

As far as supply, I expect it to be high for the macbooks. Our shop got in the rare "available for general sale" unit (we tend to order most everything custom configured for the customer) and having had the opportunity to check it out, along with the take apart guide, I was very pleased. Granted, they havent existed long enough for people to really start breaking them, so my thoughts on durability will have to wait 6-18 months. But, when that time comes, we'll see. Personally, I think they're gonna hold up.