ibook fan control

Posted by: hookem2oo7

ibook fan control - 10/30/05 12:24 PM

some of you may have read my post about overclocking a 366mhz clamshell ibook...well i loved that machine so much that when my old laptop kicked the bucket i went out and bought a brand new 1.33ghz ibook g4 :P . i'm a bit paranoid more than anything else, but i dont like how hot the book runs even on reduced processor speed setting (my last laptop died due to a temperature spike up to 120*C :blink: ). is there any utility that will control the ibook's fan? I'd like it to turn on before the 70*C (i think) that its set to turn on at out of the box...i'm pretty good with linux, so if it happens to involve recompiling a module or something of the sort i may be able to get it done...anyone know anything about this?
Posted by: whitlock

Re:ibook fan control - 10/30/05 01:24 PM

Well the fans in most laptops and in all Apple computers are controlled by the firmware. At this time, I'm not aware of any open firmware hacks that allow you to change the fan speed.

I just don't know why the fan kicks in at such a high speed. Seems pretty stupid to me, but people want fast computers that don't make sounds.
Posted by: hookem2oo7

Re:ibook fan control - 10/30/05 04:18 PM

i dont care for changing the speed...just the temperature at which the fan turns on...i know some dell laptops' fans are controllable with a utility, i was just wondering if there was such a creature for the ibook. i've read about kernel modules for linux on the ibook, but i wanted something for os x
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:ibook fan control - 10/30/05 04:58 PM

y not just run some of these kernel modules then?